Calling all campers
Charlie:
I suggest you have a try-out weekend someplace that's a local call to your RV dealer. or a week. There's lots of things that you didn't pick up in the initial walkaround. (I spent 5 minutes turning the handles to dump the waste water tanks before someone came by and told me they pull out)
Make a list of the things to do when you set up and break down. Especially all the "umbilicals" that have to be detached and stowed. Lots of campgrounds have signs at the exit:
Slide outs In?
TV Aerial down?
Wife in Car?

You'll need a tool kit but you don't know what yet. I like things that take one handle and a bunch of attachments just for compactness. I found a set of screwdriver bits (probably 2 dozen) with a very full range at the dollar store -- you never know what horrible screw they put in at the factory -- but you can be less efficient making your repairs. I have a battery screwdriver plus a manual one. Same with a socket set. Heavy wire and the associated tools. I'm looking for a wire stripper for #10 stranded right now.

RVers are like model railroaders -- generally helpful if you have problems.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks David
Don't worry about us, we are not new to camping, we just got a new camper. We used to go to PG state park near Altoona at least 3 times a year and we still have our check list of articles needed, and this camper came with a nice checklist of thins to do before traveling.

Charlie
If you're going to head up to Northern Arizona, Williams is good, but anywhere around Flagstaff and you're on the SF mainline. About a train every couple of minutes. Winslow has a large yard, but there's not much more activity there than trains passing through. All these are almost within walking distance of Mesa, only between a 120 and 150 mile jaunt. 357 357 357
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
BR60103 Wrote:Harborfront CG, Monroe MI -- may be over 200 yds but 2 major lines that run south from Detroit.

Harbortown is the correct name, and the lines that pass immediately behind it are not all that busy.
Buy a good cordless drill and use it to crank down those stabilizers after a long, hard day. Best tool I brought with us.
Railohio: OOOOPS

Charlie: re-read your original post and you did mention the older camping. Oh well, maybe some of the novices will read it.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Springfield, MO KOA has a line running next to it -- almost down the border fence. I saw one train while hooking up and there have been a bunch more since then. Road crossing just there that gets whistles.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Thanks David I guess they have Wi-fi too. Enjoy your trip. Avoid the east next week unless you are prepared for snow.....
Charlie