New Memeber....
Puddlejumper Wrote:
EM-1_7600 Wrote:...
then the steam was piped to the front engine, superheated again, and used in the larger, low pressure, cylinders, before being exhausted.
Dave

Dave, all correct that you have written - with one exception.
Steam was generally not superheated on its way from back to front cylinders. There was only a very seldom realized that steam has got a "rewarming" (lesser superheating) at a few engines, which was more prototypes and trials for more powerfull engines. The Santa Fe did make such trials with its mallets with articulated boilers and their 2-10-10-2 class 3000.

An addition:
It is not a technical problem that cylinders of a mallet engine equipped with piston valves working together with cylinders working with slide valves. It it would be of interest I could give a few more explanations.
This problem will be solved by small differences at the valve gear, which you can see also at your picture of Old Moude. Look for differences at combination levers. A second difference is not visible - the rear eccentric crank is positioned a small bit in forward direction and the front crank is standing a bit to rear - in both cases that the main cranks are standing in most lower position.

And last,
EM-1_7600, a very good idea to build this very early mallet engine in USA. Wish you success!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Bernhard,
Thanks for the clarification. It is the Santa Fe 2-10-10-2 exactly that I was thinking of when I made that statement of superheating the low pressure steam. I did not realize they were among the few that had that.

Does anyone here have any knowledge or photos of cross compound locomotives? They are very interesting to me, and I would like to model one but can't find enough photos of any one loco to build one. They were so scarce, and usually rebuilt to simple locomotives, so photos are hard to find.

Dave
-Dave
Thanks Pete and Puddlejumper,
I had it backwards, was slide valves in the front, not the rear and vice-versa as I had said it.....I knew that it had them mixed!

The biggest thing we all have to remember, that "Old Maude" as it was called by the B&O crewmen, was built in 1904! This was the first Mallet/Articulated type steam locomotive in America! There was none at all at this time so its tractive effort of 96,000 pounds was serious power back then!

Now being said that, it WAS NOT designed nor made by the B&O, it was designed by Schenectady Locomotive works, back then was the name for "ALCO" that we know today! So, was a completely new design....

Picture from 1931:

[Image: bo2400s.jpg]

Notice, that the headlight is ON the BOILER FRONT!? Not the pilot deck......I say and will say it, they have came a long ways on these loco types since that one was built!

I'm modeling this little beast, as it served my home "stomping grounds" for a time..... Sand Patch, PA, where I grew up the first 24 years of my life...Which, is what my current layout is based off, north Cumberland, MD to Sand Patch through Meyersdale, PA to Yoder Coaling station, just outside of Meyersdale.
~John AKA "Yellowstone" OR "EM-1"
Puddlejumper Wrote:Bernhard,
Thanks for the clarification. It is the Santa Fe 2-10-10-2 exactly that I was thinking of when I made that statement of superheating the low pressure steam. I did not realize they were among the few that had that.

Does anyone here have any knowledge or photos of cross compound locomotives? They are very interesting to me, and I would like to model one but can't find enough photos of any one loco to build one. They were so scarce, and usually rebuilt to simple locomotives, so photos are hard to find.

Dave

Cross compounds? You mean tandem compounds high and low pressure cylinders back to back? I'm not exactly sure of your terminology here....

I bet, I can dig something up if I know forsure what your refering too!

As for everyone to my posting, THANK YOU. A GREAT boiler warm welcome from everyone......

As for the talks of Mallets and or Articulateds, boy, I say...... STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got some modeling projects for you all! Goldth
Well guys, I just did some serious typing for the HO Scale section on projects, I'm working on so......If you want to see what I've been up too, go have a look! Icon_lol

NOT all of it was done recently, some are old postings that I have saved on my computer as a good "how it was done" sort of thing.....

Enjoy!
Hey John!

You may remember me from the Railfan.net forums. I'm still squeamish about casting those cars, but now for different reasons. I was talking with one of the owners of Funaro & Camerlengo, and they suggested that making molds from resin masters could possible damage the original. Do you know anything on the subject, or was the guy being extra careful?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Yes man I remember you from the Railfan.net forums, SADLY my memory isn't all that great with your first name as we have talked over e-mail a bit on the electrics you were planning to mold....

As for the molding question, you will not ruin those! You are using the liquid silicone for the mold itself, right? The resin, is what will be poured into the liquid silicone mold, NOT to confuse the 2......

They guy that was telling you one thing, sounds like he was mis-understanding of what you were talking about!

I have made molds, for years, the liquid silicone does NOT harm the master copy, NO matter what it is made of! AND will NOT stick to ANYTHING, but itself.....So, I have to say the guy that had mentioned this to you was confused.....
Puddlejumper Wrote:...
Does anyone here have any knowledge or photos of cross compound locomotives?

Dave,
click this link to a general system scetch of a cross compound steam engine.

Cross compound steam engines are engines wit two cylinder engines working with the copound system, where one side is working with high pressure steam and the other with lower pressure steam.
I know only a few pictures of older German cross compound locomotives like here - scroll down to picture 11 (Bild 11). However you will not see that compound system in whole, because second cylinder is mounted on other side. However this looks very identically - with a smaller cylinder only.
Or here, an other picture of such a 2-cylinder cross compound steam engine.
I know that Baldwin built a bigger number os such engines however I do not have pictures. More is written about these engines in the book "The Locomotives the Baldwin Built".
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Sorry, double posting.
Cheers, Bernd

I forgot about the the cylinders having one high pressure on one side, and then a low pressure one on the opposite side.

Interesting concept!
EM-1_7600 Wrote:Interesting concept!

... However not very successfully.
Cheers, Bernd

It took me a bit to remember the name but "Vauclain Compound" http://www.ironhorse129.com/Prototype/St..._Ch2_3.htm was a Baldwin patent. ( or do a google search on Vauclain compound )

I always do a preview of a post containing any links to verify that the link, or photo, works. Stumbled on this tidbit:

" Later, the compound expansion principle would be applied by Anatole Mallet to the articulated locomotive design that bears his name. " Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete,
I see you found some other information on the designer of the "Mallet". Anatole Mallet, so you see what I spoke to you makes sense now?
Well to toss out another B&O project thats completed..... here ya go.....

[Image: BOQ44403000-1.jpg]

[Image: BOQ44403001-1.jpg]

[Image: BOQ44403002-1.jpg]

[Image: BOQ44403003-1.jpg]

Tender was built from a reconditioned Rivarossi 2-10-2 Vanderbuilt that looked like it hit the floor and I rebuilt it, shorter to use behind a B&O custom made and detailed Q-4, the details you see, are ALL custom made!
Bernhard, thanks for the links! That is exactly what I was talking about.

John, sorry if we got sidetracked in your thread. That last loco is a beaut as well. The smoke lifters really change the way a loco looks.

Dave
-Dave