Superstorm Sandy
I just heard from folks in NYC and things are really bad there. I am hoping all of the gauge people are safe and secure.
It is bad in the city and I would imagine it is so in the outskirts too. If any of you in the east can read and post we would like to know you are safe.
I'll say a prayer for you all. All we are getting here in east Ohio so far is lots of rain. We have been blessed so far.
Charlie
The flood is really bad. There was a special situation this night of an extra high tide caused by moon and sun plus the water pressed by the storm ashore. We had a similar situation in Hamburg when I was a boy. The excessive rain comes on top and adds it's water too. A very bad situation at the shoreline.

I read in twitter:
Breezy Point, Queens FDNY reporting Well over 60 houses burnt to the ground and still more on fire.
That looks really bad.

I think the good news is the weakening storm. The north east in general should expect a hefty storm with massive rain "only". The storm is not expected to be unusual strong. I hope that does not read cynical to those that suffer from the storm and rain.
I wish you all the best!
Reinhard
We made it through with no damage, Don't know about the other guys: Green Elite Cab, TomPM and Lester Perry. Hope to hear from them soon too!!!!!

Lots of streets flooded in PA & NJ. Still some creeks flooded. No reports on downed trees but last report was over 300,000 without electric in the entire area!! Eek Eek

Thanks for your prayers and concerns!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Let's hope everyone made it through OK. I'm sure there's lots of places without power or communications, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that they're getting through this without much trouble. I got a message that one site expected to be off-line a few days because of flooding at their server, but they're back on this morning, which gives you hope that things will return to normal in a few days.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Mickey - glad to hear you're ok. Waiting to hear from others. I have relatives in the Port Huron, MI, area who are also being affected by this storm. Very high winds, rain, power outages, etc. The waves on Lake Huron are pretty dramatic also.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
No power/cable/cell in our area. Got a msg from Steve (epaw) that his genny broke and local results are similar. I hope his dad is alright

Thanks for remembering about us Mikey! Misngth
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Brooklyn, N.Y. took a solid hit. I hope Mike Kieran ( Port Able )is OK.
Living in the far north suburbs of Chicago, I don't get much "local" news about Long Island, but did some "web surfing" last night and the picture is not all that good.
That storm reached all the way hear as early as yesterday afternoon, and there is still high winds, and large seas on Lake Michigan.

"Superstorm Sandy"- - - yeah, this one was uniquely- - - - - "different".

Other sad news ( for me at least ) HMS Bounty was lost yesterday. They tried to " go around the storm ". I was aboard Bounty, when she was here in Chicago for "Tall Ships".
I am curious to find out if the old summer cottage on Noyack Bay, and the house in Copiague, where I grew up, survived.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
tomustang Wrote:No power/cable/cell in our area. Got a msg from Steve (epaw) that his genny broke and local results are similar. I hope his dad is alright

Thanks for remembering about us Mikey! Misngth
Dang!! I'm not used to worrying about you "In-landers" Smile

Glad you're OK!!!! - Let us know if you hear anything more from Steve..

Usually you guys miss all the excitement except for snow storms...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

It would be nice if everyone here that was in the path of Sandy, just post something to let us all know how things are going. We get concerned and feel helpless when we don't know what's going on with our friends...

So anyone that's been affected or anyone that knows about anyone that was, please just post a short note here if you can so we know how everyone is doing.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
We people in the valley avoid most problems Big Grin

Don wish it was that simple, I'm not going to tell how I'm on right now, but most cell networks are down and wifi is scare all around
Tom

Model Conrail

ngauger Wrote:Dang!! I'm not used to worrying about you "In-landers" Smile Usually you guys miss all the excitement except for snow storms...

Big Grin Big Grin August 31st 1954: Noyack Bay, Eastern Long Island: Hurricane Carol's eye passed directly over us, and I went for a swim in the biggest waves I had ever seen on the bay, in the eye of that hurricane. Smile
It's good that that experience was BEFORE the second half of that storm !!! Eek Eek
OK, I am an "In-lander" now, but quite honestly, Lake Michigan, can be a far deadlier place in a "storm" than the Atlantic, in a Cat.4 Hurricane! :o Confusedhock:
And - - Yes I do miss the Salt Water. Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Report from DC:

[Image: original.gif]

Eek
Tom

Model Conrail

Sumpter250 Wrote:And - - Yes I do miss the Salt Water. Big Grin Big Grin
We could smell the Salt Water from the Atlantic Ocean last night.. It was on the news, so of course I HAD to open a windward window and "smell"...

It was really neat and unnerving at the same time.. we're 100 miles from the ocean and it was very strong, like we were at the beach......

Nice crisp salty air... blowing by at 60 MPH.. Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

We made it OK...thought for sure the power would go out , but all OK . I can't believe how far inland the hurricane effects were felt as we are 4 or 500 miles west of NYC .......I guess the whole storm was something like 1000 miles in diameter . Nature always wins those battles .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Slideshow:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://msnbc.msn.com/id/49596252/displaymode/1247/?wbSlideShowId=49596252">http://msnbc.msn.com/id/49596252/displa ... d=49596252</a><!-- m -->

News about 80 homes in ny burned to the ground
Tom

Model Conrail