what is the most popular type of locomotive on your layout
i was curious what the most popular type of locomotiveon your layout is.
if i break it down by type of locomotive on my layout it would break down as the following
EMD models
SW 1200
6 models varous roadnames
GP 7/ 9 I never can tell them apart
6 models mostly CNR
GP 30, 40 and 40-2W
9 models various roadnames
SD 40-2
9 models various roadnames, but mostly CN and CP
SD 70Mac
1 unit
DD 40
1 unit
MP 15DC
1 unit
F unit
1 unit. CNR

GE models
Dash 8-40CW
3 models all LMS
Dash 9-44
1 unit BCR

Alco
RS 3
2 units both CN

i find it strange that I have so many EMD units since I perfer GEmodels , other than switchers. since I have a switching layout the big work horses do not get out much
what is your break down by Locomotive makers?
For me, its

EMD:
SW1200 (Grand Valley) (1)
SW1500's (soon to acquire 2 of them for M&ET) (2)
SD40-2's (CNW) (2)
GP50 (BN) (1)
SD50/60's (CNW, CSX) (3)
SD70MAC's (BNSF, CSX) (3)
SD70M's (SP) (2)
SD90/43MAC's (UP) (2)

GE:
Dash 8's (BNSF) (2)
Dash 9 (UP) (1)
AC4400CW's (BNSF, SP) (2)
70-Toner (soon to acquire 9 of them for M&ET) (9)

Railpower:
RP20BD (soon to acquire 2 of them for the M&ET) (2)

I think thats all of them lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Hey Josh, which # of Grand Valley SW1200 did you get from Doc? I got #45 (and caboose 373).

The largest fleet of one type in my collection is SD40-2 (all UP so far), at 5 units. I also have 5 Atlas U23B's in WP paint, but three of those are going to a new home on a friends WP layout. Then there are 3 WP green U30B's, 3 UP U30C's, 2 WP Green GP40's, 2 Central California Traction GP7,s everything else is one or two units of each type.

Will be buying up fleets of SD40-2, SD40T-2, and GP40's for my Pacific Northern, and WP. I already got one SP SD40T-2, but it is awaiting new paint. I will NOT darken my layout with ANY locomotive from the Sad & Pathetic (SP) Railroad. I don't even like calling the SP a "railroad".
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Tom Wrote:Hey Josh, which # of Grand Valley SW1200 did you get from Doc? I got #45 (and caboose 373).

Tom i got loco #46 and boose #372 Misngth

Ill have to snap some pics of the great docs work on my photo diorama pulling some of my new weathered rolling stock with the boose at the end and do a mini roll-by Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Yeah, please do! Another modeler friend of mine was looking at the number on the side and is still 3 days later scratching his head as to how Doc Wayne did that seperated paint line number. Pretty slick! I figure he cut a "45" out of sticker stock or vinyl and painted over it.
Tom Carter
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
When I finish the remodel so that I can build my layout, it will have a Cf-7 as the only locomotive on the roster.
6 SD40-2
3 SD40T-2
1 SD45T-2
2 SD45
4 F45
1 F45B
1 SD60M
1 SD60
1 SD9E
1 GP60M
1 GP60
1 GP50M
3 GP40-2
2 GP38-2
2 GP30
1 E6
3 FA-1
1 AC4400CW
1 C40-8
Expecting two more SD40T-2's and another SD60, and I don't even have a layout to run them on. Wink
Jim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi">http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php">http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php</a><!-- m -->
train That's easy 8 coupled steam. train
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
F units
GP9s
SD9s
GP38-2s
U28Cs

and assorted switchers and the odd GP35 and GP20.

Ralph
EMDs':
1 GP7(LL P2K) Rock Island
2 GP9's (Athearn BB's) New Haven, Central New England
4 GP35's (3 Athearn BB's) Housatonic, Central New England(2) B&O(Genesis RTR)
1 GP38-2 (Athearn BB) Southwick & Winsted
1 SD35 (Atlas) Southwick & Winsted
1 GP60 (Athearn BB) New Haven McGuiness Paint Scheme
2 SD70M (Athearn RTR) BNSF, New Haven McGuiness Paint scheme
1 F59PHI (Athearn Genesis) CDOT

GE's:
1 C449W (Kato) New Haven McGuiness Paint scheme(same as NH's U25B's)
1 AMD103(Athearn BB) CDOT

NOT ON THE LAYOUT(Shelved for now)

EMD:
1 SD 35 (Athearn BB) EMD Demostrator (dummy)
1 SDP35 (Atlas) Undec
1 F45 (Athearn BB) Central New England
1 FP45 (Athearn BB) New Haven McGuiness Paint scheme
1 SD 40-2 (Athearn BB) BN
1 F9 (Athearn BB) Undec; Somehow, during super detailing, the dog turned it into a puppy treat

ALCO:
1 PA1 A&B (Walthers) New Haven

Baldwin:
H16-44 (Bachmann) New Haven
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Tom Wrote:Yeah, please do! Another modeler friend of mine was looking at the number on the side and is still 3 days later scratching his head as to how Doc Wayne did that seperated paint line number. Pretty slick! I figure he cut a "45" out of sticker stock or vinyl and painted over it.

Actually, those numbers are painted on, not decals. I used dry transfer lettering as a painting masked, applied over the colour that the lettering was to be, then masked, with tape, as required for the colour separation. The lower half of the numbers and the green stripe along the bottom of the hood and cab required a second painting and masking operation, including another application of the dry transfer numerals. After each painting operation, the dry transfers are removed by dabbing at them with the sticky side of a piece of masking tape - this is done as soon as the paint is dry to the touch, that same as you would for regular masking tape.
For those who are unaware of what I'm talking about, here's a picture:
[album]454[/album]

Wayne
are those former CN sw 12200s, the stack sure look like former CN units. they look great
Wayne they are beautiful and you did a fantastic job on them

Tom proud owner of #45, Josh proud owner of #46 Misngth 2285_
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
stuart_canada Wrote:are those former CN sw 12200s, the stack sure look like former CN units. they look great

Thanks, Stuart. I based them on the CNR units, but didn't bother with the light and number board package (offered by Juneco) or the increased capacity fuel tank (included in the Juneco kit), choosing instead to build them to suit my free-lance road. The locos (Athearn blue box) originally came with switcher trucks with metal sideframes. I upgraded them with new white metal Flexicoil sideframes from Juneco, but when Athearn released their version, in plastic, and much more well-detailed, I re-equipped all four locos with the new-style trucks and sideframes. Unfortunately, this resulted in a loss of tractive effort due to the lighter trucks, and I had to re-do the cast weights inside the locos. All were equipped with Mashima can motors and ran great with almost any of my locos, including steam. For small locos, they're fairly powerful, too: all four of them pulled a 71 car train around my layout, and, if you've seen pictures of the layout, you know how many curves and steep grades are involved.
[Image: 2007-01-10269.jpg]

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:
stuart_canada Wrote:are those former CN sw 12200s, the stack sure look like former CN units. they look great

Thanks, Stuart. I based them on the CNR units, but didn't bother with the light and number board package (offered by Juneco) or the increased capacity fuel tank (included in the Juneco kit), choosing instead to build them to suit my free-lance road. The locos (Athearn blue box) originally came with switcher trucks with metal sideframes. I upgraded them with new white metal Flexicoil sideframes from Juneco, but when Athearn released their version, in plastic, and much more well-detailed, I re-equipped all four locos with the new-style trucks and sideframes. Unfortunately, this resulted in a loss of tractive effort due to the lighter trucks, and I had to re-do the cast weights inside the locos. All were equipped with Mashima can motors and ran great with almost any of my locos, including steam. For small locos, they're fairly powerful, too: all four of them pulled a 71 car train around my layout, and, if you've seen pictures of the layout, you know how many curves and steep grades are involved.
[Image: 2007-01-10269.jpg]

Wayne

I can't agree with Josh enough, they really look sharp. Heavy little guys too, I was so impressed by how they ran, I popped the shell off the other night to see what was under the hood and how you added so much weight, what kind, and where (I have a WP SW-9 that started as the same Athearn Blue Box SW-7 model) and wanted to weight it down for better tractive effort and re-power it, add ultra bright LED's and a decoder. I came to the conclusion that you must have cast the lead to fit the space, correct? I also took note of how you did the full length frame hand rails as David had to do a similar setup on my WP SW-9, so I showed the GV 45 to the friend that built my SW-9. He did a nice job on the handrails and does nice work, but he was blown away with my little Canadian 1200. He now wants me to put a decoder in it to run it, but that would require taking some of the weight out, thus altering this engine. I told him I'd rather not and he likened it to a Ferarri that just sits in the garage and is never driven to appreciate. Goldth

It does live a pampered retirement with its caboose in a display case on my entertainment center in the living room with my WP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy.

Josh is lucky, he has locos now from two of my three favorite model railroads, between Grand Valley and the Utah Belt. I am going to run on my other favorite layout of the 3 tomorrow morning, but it's WP in the Feather River Canyon and I have all kinds of WP power. Now if I can get my hands on a retired Utah Belt engine, I'd be all set. 357
Tom Carter
Stockton, CA