Speaking of Early Conrail
Cool locomtives! When I saw your original post, no pictures were present, but I can see they either chose to load now, or you editted them in. 8598 Is a pretty good unit to, since there seems to be a lot of pictures of that one.

I suppose I should add my photo of my new Early Conrail stuff, my ex-EL SDP45, and my Silverliner IV. This prototype was nice because it used the less common "plain" CR patch, instead of the PC style "CR". There is never enough of those PC style CR patches on a decal sheet! Mount Vernon shops offers a sheet of just patches of varying types (way more than the microscale sheet), but its also somewhat expensive. I might break down and buy them anyway, just to have.

[Image: b2d9604a-04b3-4571-b427-f717377e9f0a.jpg]

While Conrail didn't necessarily own the Silverliners, you can bet they were crewed by Conrail employees. SEPTA didn't official take over the trains until 1983. Many of these cars kept their Penn Central (or Reading Company) Decals even into the Conrail era. A few got Conrail logos, but Conrail management, based in Philadelphia, quickly noticed them and had them removed. So far, I've only spotted 2 Silverliner IIs, a Silverliner III, and a Silverliner IV with Conrail logos. I haven't seen any other commuter cars on other regions with a Conrail logo either, except for the FL9s.

#270 was the "first" PC unit. I plan to number the other #303, the last "single" style Silverliner IV.

[Image: P6022631.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Ralph Wrote:..."Your loco is the wrong shade of black!" Misngth
Well, I did not have time to put them for 25 years in the backyard and another year in the trash can. That would be the correct weathering technique.... Wink
But I go a little bit "automatic weathering". The shells are ex SP and I removed the tiger stripes with airbrush cleaner from the black base paint. That cleaner attacked the black paint to and I left it as it is. That results in a very uneven black finish not to bad compared to the prototype. Trucks, porch and the lower parts got a wash of diluted brown/black.
[Image: IMG_3401_zps59b87518.jpg]
Seriously, those run down engines would need a master of weathering especially for the fading black. I will leave them alone as they are not to ruin them.

ps. I am still exited of the Walthers SW1 model each time I run them. They are extreme well runners and have a nice low pitch sound.
Reinhard
Reinhard, I have been following this post, very well done. Here is a not so good picture I have of the 8557 in the dead line at Altoona in October, 1978. From here it could have been rebuilt, sold or scrapped.    

Here is another unit.  Notice the trucks..    
There is a prototype for everything I guess.
Charlie