And it begins...
After many 12 hour days at work,and life's interuptions i am finally beginning the Layout.It will be a switching layout based in Yorba Linda California.It will be 40' long and 30" wide with 5 4x8 tables attached with a 30"x8' table for a small yard.I used 1x4x8' for framing(white board,cheap)and 1/2 inch plywood for the tops.I am on a budjet so i decided to go as cheap as possible.All the tables have 2 braces underneath for strength.I haven't added all the leg bracing yet.I built a wall for shelving for some of my diecast collection.

Operations will consist of UP/BNSF in a Industrial type setting consisting of a Plastics/Injection molding business,a couple of warehouses,a California Road commission complex,Corn syrup transfer facility,Dry bulk transfer yard,Propane transfer facility,a modern Bakery.Also 3 major highway overpasses and some street running.

BTW,and ideas on what kind of material i should use for joining 1/8" hardboard sections(backdrop) together?I looked for some "H" channel at my local Home Depot and they didn't have any. wide with 5 4x8 tables attached with a 30

Attached Files Image(s)

Don Shriner
Great looking space for what sounds like a terrific layout! Looking forward to progress shots. I used a series of furring strips vertically mounted to the benchwork and joined the 1/8 " boards by screwing them into the strips butted together. Had to use joint compound to cover the seams and then sand, sand, sand. Wallbang
Wow, I'm very jealous of the large spaces some of you have available for a layout. Here in the UK, housing and gardens etc are quite a bit smaller in general, and space is at a premium. Hence small switching layouts, and fiddle yard concepts are very much common here. Large layouts (usually modular) are only possible in club or exhibition settings , there's exceptions of course.
Anyway, looking forward what you'll make of it here. Do you have a trackplan already?

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
That is a lot of space for a switching layout. It may be as spacious as Lance layout. What time will you model? You may be a lucky guy and can do switching with two Genset and it is still looking realistic.
Reinhard
Lots of room for a big layout ...that'll keep you busy and out of trouble for a long time .

As to the hardwood backdrop , I did my previous layout along the lines of Ralph's suggestion .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Ralph Wrote:Great looking space for what sounds like a terrific layout! Looking forward to progress shots. I used a series of furring strips vertically mounted to the benchwork and joined the 1/8 " boards by screwing them into the strips butted together. Had to use joint compound to cover the seams and then sand, sand, sand. Wallbang

If i'm not mistaken,I think that is what i used(furring strips)They did have their share of "knots" in them,but once i get all the sections secured in place i will be adding hardboard panels applied with contact cement to cover up all the screw holes. Smile
Don Shriner
torikoos Wrote:Wow, I'm very jealous of the large spaces some of you have available for a layout. Here in the UK, housing and gardens etc are quite a bit smaller in general, and space is at a premium. Hence small switching layouts, and fiddle yard concepts are very much common here. Large layouts (usually modular) are only possible in club or exhibition settings , there's exceptions of course.
Anyway, looking forward what you'll make of it here. Do you have a trackplan already?

Koos

I don't have a track plan as of yet,but on do plan on using Atlas Supertrack code 83 and #6 switches through out.Unfortunately the "Super track" has only # 6 switches.I chose this track because of the prototypical look to it,unlike other Atlas track,plus i'm on a budjet,so Peco was out of the question,although i would have prefered it.I can get the Atlas switch's for $13.50 a piece.
Don Shriner
faraway Wrote:That is a lot of space for a switching layout. It may be as spacious as Lance layout. What time will you model? You may be a lucky guy and can do switching with two Genset and it is still looking realistic.

I will be modelling 2005-present time period,and the reason being is because most of all the HO vehiles i have fit that era(River point station,Riko,Atlas,Boley)I already have 3 Proto 2000 GP60's in UP & Demonstrator colors with Tsunami sound decoders and working ditch lights in them.Since UP still uses the GP's for local freight movement.One reason i will not use the Gensets is mainly because of the Sound of them,I prefer 16 cylinder prime mover sounds to the genset sounds.I am however looking forward to Athearns new Genesis GP38-2 in BNSF colors.
Don Shriner
Ralph Wrote:Great looking space for what sounds like a terrific layout! Looking forward to progress shots. I used a series of furring strips vertically mounted to the benchwork and joined the 1/8 " boards by screwing them into the strips butted together. Had to use joint compound to cover the seams and then sand, sand, sand. Wallbang

Ooops,Sorry Ralph,I misunderstood what you were talking about,for some reason i though you were refering to framing.I need a Coffe to wake up :oops:
Don Shriner
train_guy Wrote:
torikoos Wrote:Wow, I'm very jealous of the large spaces some of you have available for a layout. Here in the UK, housing and gardens etc are quite a bit smaller in general, and space is at a premium. Hence small switching layouts, and fiddle yard concepts are very much common here. Large layouts (usually modular) are only possible in club or exhibition settings , there's exceptions of course.

Koos

I don't have a track plan as of yet,but on do plan on using Atlas Supertrack code 83 and #6 switches through out.Unfortunately the "Super track" has only # 6 switches.I chose this track because of the prototypical look to it,unlike other Atlas track,plus i'm on a budjet,so Peco was out of the question,although i would have prefered it.I can get the Atlas switch's for $13.50 a piece.

I like the Atlas supertrack switches, they have a good shape and flow, however are you thinking of powering the frogs? I tried to solder wire to them but it is pretty impossible, so if you do, I'd suggest to tap the holes, add a small slotted brass screw and solder the wire in it's slot , then paint/weather it and it will show much less.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
train_guy Wrote:

Koos

I like the Atlas supertrack switches, they have a good shape and flow, however are you thinking of powering the frogs? I tried to solder wire to them but it is pretty impossible, so if you do, I'd suggest to tap the holes, add a small slotted brass screw and solder the wire in it's slot , then paint/weather it and it will show much less.

Koos