Poll: If you pass a locomotive at 45 MPH, what would you notice about the train?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The General shape or color (Its a blue EMD, or a black GE)
75.00%
9 75.00%
Spotting features (round radiator fans or "wing" radiators, wheel arrangments)
16.67%
2 16.67%
Specific details (remember only something like the roadnumber, but not the color or anything else about the locomotive)
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you notice in a glance?
Depends on knowledge, training and experience. The more you already know about a subject, the more you can "pick up in a glance". That's why those who can do so are referred to as "trained observers".
I would notice:
1- Color scheme.
2- Loco type.
3- road number , and detail placement ( if the loco was one that I was interested in ).
4- If I was "overtaking the train", the number and kinds of rolling stock.
5- There would be more if I wasn't driving,- - - nothing, if I was talking on the( expletive deleted ) cell phone, or ( expletive deleted ) texting.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I get about half of option 1 -- colour. I'd probably notice if it was steam or diesel (or electric, but not around here). Diesels are diesels.

But I could identify 14 classes of Toronto streetcars at one point -- usually on second glance. Now they only have 2, so different that first glance is enough.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
ezdays Wrote:but I'll be darned if I could tell you whether it was a GP-20 or 38 or a dash-8. A rivet counter might ID that before they even notice the road name, or so I would think. Icon_lol It would be nice to be able to do that, which was my point.

Oh okay, I see where you're coming from. Thats actually a whole different topic i'm curious about, but I try to keep my psychological probing of forum members to a minimum!

If I had to reccomend a good way to get to that point, I'd say go for "A Field Guide to Trains" by Gerald Foster. This book contains most existing diesels and electrics in its pages, and is very similar to the "Peterson Guide" books like you might buy to identify birds and other things. The locomotive entries are organized by visual similarity, with a brief description on the left hand page, and a VERY clear pencil sketch of the locomotive on the right hand page. All important spotting marks are pointed out by arrows.

This book can probably be had for cheap on amazon if you hunt around. If you can find it for a few dollars, do it.

dave1905 Wrote:I couldn't answer the poll because I would notice the first and second choices.

Then I would notice the train type (coal, grain, stack, pig, mixed freight).

Then I would notice car mix (and initials if its a unit train).

Several years back when I spent more time near the tracks, I could pretty much tell you which train it was by the mix of cars in the train and its direction. i have friends who can tell which intermodal train it is by the general time of day and the mix of containers/trailers on the train.

Well, technically, I was talking specifically about the locomotive. I can see I may have been unclear with the wording of the question. Its easy to tell box cars from tank cars, but maybe not individual boxcar types from eachother in some cases.

santafewillie Wrote:Notice or remember? I frequently drive alongside a former ATSF line that parallels a state highway here in Texas for over twenty miles from Alliance yard north. I used to notice road-names, types and what it was MU'd with in the years immediately after the BNSF merger. Even then I didn't remember all that I noticed after I got home. Poll doesn't have enough choices for me to answer.
willie

This is a good point, but I would assume whatever you can remember roughly 10 minutes later is what I'd count.

I would also count road names under color.

MountainMan Wrote:Depends on knowledge, training and experience. The more you already know about a subject, the more you can "pick up in a glance". That's why those who can do so are referred to as "trained observers".

thats also fair to a point, but then there is the time limit. You may know in a half second whether the locomotive is a GE or an EMD, but then you're about to pass it. If its an EMD, do you remember to count the radiator fans? If its a GE wide cab unit, did you remember to check the length of the Central air intake, the size of the left-hand equipment box, or the configuration of the radiator intakes?

Those ARE tricky if you don't know to look for them, but even if you do, you're going to be passing this locomotive very quickly (at 45 mph, you don't get a whole lot of time). I suspect that though people may be aware of these spotting features, they simply don't have enough time to remember every spotting feature in time to think to look for them until the train is passed.

Also, I find intentionally looking for certain vents and things often ruins the enjoyment of watching the train, since rather than take in its glory, you may find yourself focused on counting engine doors!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
It's really not too difficult to identify the important aspects of a train as it goes by, at any speed. Locomotives are more easily identified by number, rather than doors and fans, and the basic makeup of a train and the time of day can provide clues to what it is, without having the scanner on. And you can do all that without distracting from the "experience" of seeing a train, too.
I picked #1....But I definitely also look for the road name.

Unfortunately, railfanning in these parts is nearly non-existent since UP pulled its yard out a couple of years back.... :evil:
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:I picked #1....But I definitely also look for the road name.

Unfortunately, railfanning in these parts is nearly non-existent since UP pulled its yard out a couple of years back.... :evil:

That is unfortunate, especially in light of what they want to do here in Arizona....

Quote:The Arizona State Land Department cleared the path Monday for a land sale that could bring a massive rail yard to farmland near Picacho Peak, but that path could be a long and bumpy one with more challenges to the project than previously thought.

Union Pacific Corp. plans to construct a rail yard 6 miles long and 74 tracks wide, the biggest between Los Angeles and Texas, where it could split and reassemble trains according to their destinations.

Read more: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2012/09/24/20120924picacho-peak-rail-yard-state-land.html#ixzz2GS9EH12l">http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... z2GS9EH12l</a><!-- m -->
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD