Conrail Detroit Line
I'm finally getting a chance to return to model railroading . I have a small area available so i can start learning again. I have a small switching layout that i created that i would like start building. I would just like some input to if my idea is ok. The bottom track is my programing track, the two others are the mains. Any help or advice would help. Also i would like to hand-lay my rail so what company would you use.
A. Central Valley
B. Proto 87
C. Others?

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to Big Blue and welcome back to the hobby! Glad you could join us. We have a lot of members that are interested in track plans like yours so I'll bet you'll get lots of comments and thoughts. Welcome
Thanks for the Welcome. I took a look at your and you have a very very nice layout...
Welcome ...trying to remember , didn't Fenkell turn into 5 Mile , or vice versa ? Used to drive out that way many moons ago .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Welcome to the Big Blue!!!

Just a few questions on the layout to help me possibly help you!!

Are you modeling a prototypical area or just hte feel of "Conrail Detroit Line" ?
Do you plan on expanding the mainline further or is it "decorative" ?
What DCC system are you using?
Are you going to operate a single switcher or are you going to have a road job take care of the switching?
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Welcome to the forum! Welcome

The only thing I would change is the curves on the bottom right...I would use straight track to gain headroom for switching.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
To teejay, Thanks for the welcome. And yes Fenkell is five mile it just depends on where you are, but its the same

To mountaingoatgreg, Thanks for the welcome. Its actually one of the area "that use to be", My actual plan is two decks just cant show it all a once because i haven't bought the program I'm using just yet. Just trying it out.
i have a nce ver 1.28c, usb, sb3a has been ordered. As far as the locomotive is it going to have to be a road switcher. I have never even seen a real switcher in my life. I live not to far from a yard and the main for two different railroads, so i guess im going to stay with i know.

I thank both of ya'll guys for your help and comments, it all helps !!!!
Hi, and welcome to Big Blue. Welcome

To answer your question about which track to use, I'm wondering why you're opting to handlay the track. There aren't any unusual track configurations in your plan, and you can get nice flowing curves with flex track. If you want long turnouts, #10s are commercially available, and if you wanted something longer, you could scratchbuild just the turnouts. I doubt that you'd get your money's worth from the Fast Tracks jigs. In my opinion, good-quality flex track looks a lot better, detail-wise, than the handlaid stuff which I've seen.
The Central Valley system is a nice compromise between handlaid and flex, and there's some very useful information HERE.
Proto 87 is another game altogether, I think, and it encompasses not only the track, but also wheel and truck standards necessary for compatibility. It's certainly an option to consider if you're just starting out, but most of what I've seen extends to locomotives (mostly wheels - diesels are easy, but steam less-so), rolling stock and structures and scenery. Once you've gone to the lengths necessary with the track and equipment, you're almost compelled to make the details and surrounding layout match the same standards. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but you need to be aware of where it may lead. Wink Goldth

Wayne
Doctorwayne

Thanks for the welcome!! The only reason i want to hand lay turnouts is because i don't like hinged points it just kills the look that i would like to see. Thanks for the link too. so far enjoying reading it.
Proto 87 Stores makes parts for both ture Proto87 and for standard switches. Their frogs and detail kits really kick up switched made commercially. You can also make hybrid switches forming points using a point tool from Fasttracks, CVMW tie strips and Proto 87 stores details. This is kind of the best of all worlds.

A few more clarification questions:
How much of the layout are you going to tackle in this first build?
Will you be extending the mainline in the first build as a lead or is what we see what we get for working space?
Why do you need a seperate programming track attached to your layout?

I am just trying to figure out your goals so I can help with the desgin
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Welcome aboard, it's good to see more Blue on the forum Welcome
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Thanks for the welcome tomustang
Mountaingoatgreg right now i live in a apartment, Hopefully i will find a house this summer. So my plan was to just build different portions as i go along. It was the one i shown or a engine terminal almost like one of these.

Attached Files Image(s)