Hamilton & Great Lakes Railroad
The "pointy" building on the right of the raised area is a scratch built Bag House , idea and dimensions courtesy of the late Dean Freytag .......a "bag house" you ask ??? Think giant sized vaccuum cleaner filter .

The middle model is a Walthers blast furnace with heavily kit bashed skip hoist . The other tower structures are gas cleaners and 3 ovens . These aren't set up properly as in real life , I'll deal with that later . The base of the raised area is some old flooring laminate I had extras of , supported by scrap pieces of Homasote ...a real hodge-podge of materials , but they're free ! 357

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
T most commercial backdrops that I have seen are only 18 to 24 inches high. Mine are 18 inches.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
The Old Time Trains site has a section on Stelco, which may have some useful photos.

Over 40 years ago, I started building a model of their "E" blast furnace, which was, at the time, one of the largest in North America. I had blueprints, supplied by their engineering department, to work from, but eventually had to shelve the project because I didn't have sufficient room for the entire complex. The casthouse alone occupied most of a 4'x4' board, and the stoves, scrubbers, and stockhouse would have almost tripled that.

[Image: ModelofEFurnace-view1.jpg]

Here's the same area on the real one:

[Image: EFurnace-view9-1.jpg]

[Image: ModelofEFurnace-view2.jpg]

The two-track skip bridge was built-up from basswood structural shapes, and was over 3' long.

All that remains today is a bunch of roof trusses, built-up from basswood shapes and styrene gusset plates:

[Image: Latestprotofoe-toes046A.jpg]

...and one of the casthouse cranes, re-worked as a composite of a couple of other cranes to which I had access. It languished in a shoe box until I finally decided to make it an outdoor crane behind the Lowbanks locomotive shop:

[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd400.jpg]

Wayne
Most impressive Doc! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks, Mike. Goldth I do wish I had kept the blueprints, though. 35 Wallbang

Wayne
The space issue was my main problem on my steel mill layout ...would have required about 75' of bench work , 4 feet wide to truly represent my 1960 version . I was well on my way with it and realized it would take too many years to complete by myself . With the possibility of the house being sold to go to an apartment ( my wife has great difficulty with stairs ) , I decided to tear it down .

Wayne , I like your overhead crane ...perfect for a steel mill ...interesting design .

One of the many models I did keep was a scratch built Hulett Ore Unloader from plans I bought from steel modeler Mike Rabbit of Philadelphia .

...oh , and thanks for the Stelco links , Wayne ....I was going to do some googling but those links will do the job.

T
Wow T! The Hulett is amazing!!! Thumbsup

Wayne, I'd love to see what you would have done with your Stelco model if you had the space!!!

Fantastic stuff, both of you guys!
a scratch built Hulett Ore Unloader : Worship Worship

Someone remind me to be very careful of comments I might make about teejay's work - - -
That Hulett is seriously great work !! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Glad you liked the Hulett, guys . It was a seven month project , working atleast a little bit every day .... .040 and .030 styrene construction . I think the only thing I bought was the delrin chain for the bucket ( Tichy if I remember ) . While the model doesn't operate , the balance points are right so the bucket , boom , and cab tilt up and down properly . Trucks and wheels were made later , also styrene .
Hulett's don't operate alone . I have a second one about 25% complete but lost interest ...maybe tired ? ....I used 1500 Tichy rivets on the first model with all holes hand drilled ....went through about 10 drill bits 357

T
Teejay, totally crazy and amazing stuff!!! It's a shame it isn't motorized like some guy once did! ;-) Just teasing you!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
TeeJay, beautiful job on the Hulett. Worship My first guess on those chains would've been NorthWest Short Line - they have a Delrin chain-drive for something - maybe an O scale gearbox?

My overhead crane was intended to be one of two casthouse cranes. When I aborted that project due to lack of space and funds, I re-worked it using two outdoor cranes to which I had access as examples - one was a shorter span, while the other was considerably longer. The long one had a moveable cab, but I didn't think it necessary for this application. It did surprise me when I was checking them out just how much electrical equipment is on them that's seemingly in ordinary electrical cabinets and boxes, with no additional weather protection. The only weather which seemed to affect them was freezing rain, as they weren't always in constant use like the indoor cranes - the collector rails and pick-up shoes would get coated with ice, and it was sometimes difficult to get them moving. Misngth

Wayne
Scratchbuilding a Hulett unloader - this is greatest modelbuilding art in my eyes!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Wow Teejay!
This Hullett must be huge still in H0 scale. A great job you have done! Worship
Is it built on plans depending of the behemoths once standing on Whiskey Island (Cleveland/OH)?

Lutz
There is an old video done in the cab of the Hullett while it is in operation. I have forgotten where I it is but it is amazing to see how the cab is moving with the operator.
This one <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJfnk2S330">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RJfnk2S330</a><!-- m --> is not bad the one I refer to is an old one in black and white only.
Reinhard