Bushwick Terminal
Kurt - Hope progress is still being made on the layout! I have a space slightly longer than this, about 15', and am planning on stretching your plan a little and adding a small staging spur curving off at the "west" end. Anyway, my question is about the "east" end, where you have the 3 tracks next to each other. Obviously one is the main, one is a siding, but does the 3rd track serve a specific purpose other than giving some extra options for shuffling cars around? Thanks!

- Jered
CPSD40-2 Wrote:Kurt - Hope progress is still being made on the layout! I have a space slightly longer than this, about 15', and am planning on stretching your plan a little and adding a small staging spur curving off at the "west" end. Anyway, my question is about the "east" end, where you have the 3 tracks next to each other. Obviously one is the main, one is a siding, but does the 3rd track serve a specific purpose other than giving some extra options for shuffling cars around? Thanks!

- Jered

One of the tracks you're talking about isn't a main line. The 2 lower tracks went to Kings which is a construction/building materials dealer. The reason I say went is because they now only have 1 track which would be the bottom track. The 2 top tracks end right there for staging/transloading/switching...whatever NY&A or a customer needs them for. Not sure if the 3 tracks ever continued further back in the day but today that's where they end. If you do a google map search, type in 303 Johnson avenue brooklyn ny which is the Kings ready mix facility and you'll see the yard Kurt is modeling.
Thanks for the info!
Hi Kurt,Curious to know about your ground cover in the 2nd & 3rd photo,Did you apply the wild grass(tuffs)first then the ground cover or vise versa?The detail looks very realistic by the way,good job! Big Grin
Don Shriner
I don't want to answer for him but I asked the same question, also it's been a while since he has posted...

cnw1961 Wrote:I applied the ground cover first and then glued the Heki grass on. I take my time when glueing on the grass, only using small pieces and often stepping back to see if it is looking right.
Hopefully you're just taking a break from the modeling and haven't dismantled anything. With that said I have a BT customer update for you that will hopefully give us all some updates of your layout. I gave you some wrong information when I first posted about the customers so I wanted to give you correct info.

[Image: bt1_zpsc9a3e646.jpg]

A. Bass Oil Company
Facility/Business - Receives bulk lube oil shipments for repackaging and wholesale and retail sale
Commodities - Petroleum or Coal Products
Railcars - Tank Cars

B. David Rosen Bakery Supplies
Facility/Business - Supplies many local bakeries with bulk food products
Commodities - Food or Kindred Products
Railcars - Boxcars, Covered Hoppers

C. Brooklyn Rebar
Facility/Business - Receives steel and rebar used in construction projects
Commodities - Steel Products
Railcars - Gondolas, Bulkhead Flats

D. Kings Material
Facility/Business - Receives aggregate and finished brick for use in construction and maintenance
Commodities - Clay, Concrete, Glass or Stone Products
Railcars - Boxcars, Hoppers
(Keep in mind, this customer would be passed your layout. You have the lead track to this customer on your layout.)

I hope this helps, keep us posted. Thumbsup
Anyone know if Kurt is okay? Not a word in over a year and it tends to worry me. I also need some inspiration watching his layout progress! :-)
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I've spoke with him, all is good but unfortunately I don't think you'll be finding any inspiration from this thread.
Not entirely sure but I thought I'd seen him post on MRH recently about 0 scale scratchbuilding. But it could have been someone else.
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.
That's possible he said he was focussing on O scale
Rscott417 Wrote:I've spoke with him, all is good but unfortunately I don't think you'll be finding any inspiration from this thread.
I had a feeling this thread was done. But if he's getting into O scale, just imagine what he'll do with that!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Kurt did do a scratchbuild 0 scale boxcar on big blue a year two ago I'll try and find as it was pretty special!
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.
Hi guys,

I am still alive and well, but that does not apply to the Bushwick Terminal layout. I tore it down quite some time ago. As usual I got bored working on it after some time and was bit frustrated that even this layout (which was my best attempt so far) did not survive for very long and after that I did not feel like posting anything on things that would not stand a chance. I only have space for a small switching layout, but when it comes to running trains, I guess I am the railfanning type, switching cars bores me rather quickly. So I cannot build the kind of layout the may hold my interest for a longer time. My main interest lies in scratchbuilding anyway.

Your assumption about me switching to O scale is right (that does not mean that I stopped modeling in HO). If you do not have the space to build a decent layout, build bigger models – that is my weird kind of logic. I love the look of those big O scale models and the size is ideal for scratchbuilding. Here is the pic of that O scale boxcar I built some time ago.

[Image: HS30445-1.JPG]

At the moment I am working on an O scale Baldwin S-12.

[Image: chassis4.jpg]

[Image: Baldwin1.jpg]

[Image: Baldwin22.jpg]

[Image: Baldwin24.jpg]

[Image: Baldwin21.jpg]

[Image: Baldwin25.jpg]

If you are interested in this project, I will keep you informed on my progress.
Kurt
That boxcar looks great, as usual excellent work.
cnw1961 Wrote:.....If you are interested in this project, I will keep you informed on my progress.

By all means, Kurt. Great modelling is always enjoyable to see.

Wayne