Bushwick Terminal
Kurt
Looking good so far,my new layout is based loosely in the same area,from Varick ave yard along the old Evergreen branch towards Cooper ave,the name for the layout came from street names in Maspeth.

Will follow this with interest,i've spent hours reading about these areas and other parts of New York.

Ray
Hello Heinz, welcome to The Gauge. Thanks for the link, that is very interesting stuff.

Pete, so I am not alone in my interest in the NY&A. Looking forward to seeing your MP15s.

Ray, like you I have spent countless hours gathering information on branches going through New York. There are so many interesting areas, I could build numerous layouts based on scenes from NY … if I only had the space …

Before I will do anything else, I start to put the structures for my layout together. I don’t want to finish them completely right now, just want to have the walls up. Here are a few shots of the first two I did (sorry, the pics are not very good with all the white styrene reflecting the light).

[Image: bt7.JPG]

[Image: bt8.JPG]

[Image: bt9.JPG]

[Image: bt10.JPG]
Kurt
Kurt;

As usual, your structures are great - even in a semi-finished state! I know that the foamboard mockup's I've done while experimenting with my own layout have proved to be invaluable.

I'm not sure if I ever figured out the exact location that you are modeling on the Bushwick Terminal line, but I did notice in a couple of aerial views a tank car on spot at one structure and what looks like a box car spotted just inside of another.

The more I look at this layout, the more I like it, although I was very fond of your LA Terminal plan. This one has me trying to see if I can work out a plan that would include a runaround, although so far most of my designs tend to just look like stretched out timesavers and just don't know if I really need the runaround. However this plan has a very unique look to it and is quite workable.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed, I am a firm believer in using mockups, but this time it was not necessary. I don’t have to plan and try out the position and size of the structures, because I just model what is there on the prototype. The same applies to the trackplan. Nothing to try out or to change. That is a huge advantage for me, because I cannot start thinking of alternatives which may only lead to tearing it all down and start all over again – as it happend quite few times since I dismantled my Miami layout. Apart from that, I simply love layouts that are closely based on a real location and it feels good to run my trains on track that is exactly layed out as on the real thing.

This Bing Streetview shows the exact location of what I am modeling (please mind that I flipped the plan): <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qsj7yz8v4ywm&lvl=19.27&dir=1.7&sty=o&where1=Maspeth%2C%20NY&form=LMLTCC">http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qsj7yz ... orm=LMLTCC</a><!-- m -->. I am modeling the area from where two of the tracks end at the lumber yard on the left to the turnout behind Morgan Street on the right. When you rotate the screen in Streetview, you can see different cars. Do the same in Google Maps, and you will see even more cars.
Kurt
Kurt;

Thanks for taking the time to point me to the right location. I guess where you flipped the track arrangement threw me off, but I'm not lost now. I love the way those tracks and structures are curved at this location and it sure makes for an interesting area to model.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
cnw1961 Wrote:Pete, so I am not alone in my interest in the NY&A. Looking forward to seeing your MP15s.

Maspeth is 34 miles from "home"....OK Copiague was my home for 17 years, and I remember LIRR freight, so am naturally interested in the NY&A.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
cnw1961 Wrote:Greg, thank you for the warm welcome.
… I cannot tell you what industries are currently located along Bushwick Terminal (apart from the lumber yard), but the warehouse in the upper left corner once housed a chemical company and I have seen pics showing tank cars being unloaded there. Apart from that, aerial pics from Google and Bing show boxcars, centerbeams, bulkhead flatcars, open hoppers and gondolas at the terminal. I think I will have to come up with my own selection of companies that will allow for a good variety of cars. The lumber yard and a chemical company are a good starting point and I think a team track would make sense as well.

The chemical company youre talking about was Bass Oil Company, not sure if they received or shipped waste oil but it's waste oil in the tank cars. You also have Handyfat Trading...yes Handyfat, which gets boxcars of food products. The boxcar you have on the curved track along the curved wall is David Rosen Bakery Supply they receive boxcars and covered hoppers. The lumber yard youre referring to is Kings Material They get boxcars of bricks, centerbeams and aggregate hoppers of stone. I also have plans for a Bushwick Branch layout.
Rscott, thank you very much for that valuable information. I really appreciate your help. Knowing these facts will make operating the layout much more interesting. BTW, do you already have a trackplan for the Bushwick layout you are planning? I’d love to see it.
Kurt
Not a problem, I have no track plan just doing some research of customers and working on 2 NY&A mp15s and the flushing ave crossing that's at the beginning of the Bushwick branch. Nothing too in depth yet, not enough space and never enough money.
Rscott417 Wrote:Nothing too in depth yet, not enough space and never enough money.

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol With but few exceptions, I believe that is the "motto" of this hobby !! :o Wink Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Rscott417 Wrote:Nothing too in depth yet, not enough space and never enough money.

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol With but few exceptions, I believe that is the "motto" of this hobby !! :o Wink Smile

Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

I only made a little progress on the curved warehouse. These pics have to last for a week, as I am taking a short break from modeling. We are heading to Sicily tomorrow morning, will be back by the end of next week.

[Image: bt11.JPG]

[Image: bt12.JPG]

[Image: bt13.JPG]
Kurt
Kurt Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup weiter machen Wink
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
I really like the windows in the curved warehouse!

Have a nice trip to Sicily!

Ralph
Kurt,

It’s great to see you back with an awesome new layout.

I believe that I said it before, but if not, it was your Miami layout that brought me to Big Blue a few years ago. I found it towards the end of your construction and had to spend days reading through pages of posts. I was saddened to see it go.

You easily made up for it with your New York and Atlantic layout which was shaping up to be another masterpiece and which I could follow along with in real time. Unfortunately it wasn’t what you were looking for and it also had to go. Another heart breaking day.

I am eagerly looking forward to this build because it is already taking shape as an exceptional layout and given your past layouts, I know that this one will be breathtaking as well.

Thanks for letting us follow along with your progress.

Mark
I am surprised a second time (after the modeling of Reinhard), how a modern industry can be interesting also for me. I'm waiting to see next steps in your work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.