Bushwick Terminal
I also liked the original Long Island paint scheme with the NY&A logo painted on. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...?id=256353
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Harry, bin schon dabei Wink .

Ralph, I agree, the windows do look nice on that structure. I still need some more, but they are already on their way from Tichy’s.

Mark, sorry for disappointing you by tearing these two layouts down, but it will not happen with Bushwick Terminal. I like this one much more than any other layout I built (or started) so far, so it will get built.

Bernhard, the structures on my layout are not what you would call "modern". I guess they had been built in the first three or four decades of the last century.

Mike, thank for the link to that pic. I cannot recall having seen NYA engines in the Long Island colors. Looks very good!

Before I go on working on the layout itself, I built a shelf to store my cars. It goes above the backdrop of my layout and allows for easy access to the cars when operating the layout. I had stored my cars in a drawer so far, but it was getting a little cramped and cars could easily be damaged when being put in or taken out. The lowest board on the new shelf is still a bit empty, but it will get filled up with three centerbeams and a bulkhead flat in one or two days – one of the hobbyshops around here was offering them at bargain prices … simply could not resist :mrgreen: .

[Image: bt14.JPG]
Kurt
I do love the paint job on your MP15. There's a modeller named Kevin Katta who's active in the NMRA Sunrise Trail Division who knows a lot about the NY&A. He told us at a Sunrise Trail meet once during a presentation on the NY&A that on one of the first all green Gp38-2s, the actually used a paint roller to paint the engine. From what we saw, you couldn't tell.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike, sounds like a really low budget start of this railroad :mrgreen: .

No progress on the layout itself, but I got my new flatcars yesterday and I need lumber loads for my centerbeams. So that is what I did today.

[Image: bt25.JPG]

After doing the graphics I printed them out and cut out 43.5 mm wrappers for the lumber bundles in the middle and 60 mm long wrappers for the ends.

[Image: bt15.JPG]

I used 8 mm thick balsa wood for the bundles and cut it to 13 x 254 mm pieces.

[Image: bt16.JPG]

I glued two thin cardboard strips to the balsa, because I wanted the bundles a bit thicker than 8 mm (8.7 mm) and then I cut grooves into two sides of the strips (front and bottom) to simulate individual lumber bundles.

[Image: bt17.JPG]

Then I glued the wrappers to the front of my balsa strips.

[Image: bt18.JPG]

Next I wrapped them around the top and the ends and cut the paper to fit.

[Image: bt19.JPG]

I pressed the paper into the grooves in the balsa strips using the sharp side of my blade.

[Image: bt20.JPG]

These are the 13 x 1 mm pieces that go between the stacks.

[Image: bt21.JPG]

I glued them to the bottom of three of the balsa strips.

[Image: bt22.JPG]

Final assembly.

[Image: bt23.JPG]

If anyone wants to give it a try, here is a PDF-file of my graphics: http://www.cnw.mattheydesign.de/weyerhae...erbeam.pdf

[Image: bt24.JPG]
Kurt
Kurt, super work !!! Worship Thumbsup
greeting from the blade city Solingen / gruß aus der Klingenstadt Solingen

Harry

Scale Z and N
Looks good and very simple done! Good work, Kurt!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
modelsof1900 Wrote:Looks good and very simple done! Good work, Kurt!

Nice website, despite my very rusty German. Thumbsup
Harry, Bernhard, thank you!

You should not stop when it is running well … so here is a load for my bulkhead flats. Now I "only" have to find a way to make it look like the lumber loads were fixed to the cars while making it possible to remove them easily …

[Image: bt26.JPG]
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:...Now I "only" have to find a way to make it look like the lumber loads were fixed to the cars while making it possible to remove them easily …
Kurt, both lumber loads are looking great. The problem of fixing like the prototype and still be removable is even bigger for the centerbeam car. There are a hole bunch of straps running from the bottom very visible over the load through holes in the centerbeam. I did see several detailed instructions in the web but none of them was removable.
ps. The straps "should be" in place at unloaded centerbeam cars too...
Reinhard
Kurt, here an idea for load fixing.
Drill two very fine holes on centerline of car floor, 0.4 mm or so. Insert two short wires (best should be steel) of 0.3mm dia into the load that will have a length of 3 or 4 mm under the load. These wires will fix the load strong enough against moving on car floor.
This is an idea that I have overtaken from brass log car models for fixing log bundles.
The two fine holes in car floor will not be a big damage to models.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
That was a great tutorial for creating wrapped lumber loads for a center beam car!!!!
Kurt,

Great job on the lumber loads.

Larry
Reinhard, you are right, the problem is bigger for the centerbeam. I looked at a few more pics of bulkhead flatcars with lumber loads and on most it is not visible how or even if the load is fixed on the car. What you can see is that the lumber bundles are all securely tied together. So I added a few straps to simulate that. BTW, the straps are made from 0.5 mm (.02") wide and very thin self adhesive strips. You can get them at nail art shops (e.g. on ebay). The ladies use them to decorate their finger nails.

[Image: bt27.JPG]

For the centerbeam I have not found a solution yet and I do not know it is possible. I do not want to fix the loads permanently, because then it would be always the same cars coming in loaded when I am operating my layout.

Bernhard, thank you for the tip! I will keep it in mind, though in this case I do not have problems fixing the loads to my models, it is all about the prototypical look.

Ralph, Larry, kind comments like these are always welcome Wink .
Kurt
The loads are often secured with a long board nailed to the floor along the base on each side. I think you can see it here:

The extra bands you've added are a big improvement. It's worth pointing out that the economies of centerbeams have meant that lumber is now very seldom loaded on ordinary flats (like the one above, c 1986) or bulkhead flats.

EDIT: Also, for removable centerbeam loads, check out the Walthers 933-1100 series, some in stock, some out. There are many variations of centerbeam loads, the Walthers kind is prototypical for a particular type:

The most common wrapped loads are four-high like the one you did. However, five-high like the Walthers also happen. The Walthers can easily be swapped out, but they should have banding added. You could use black decal stripes.
There's some info HERE on tie-downs for centerbeams, but the method shown, while it looks good, appears to be permanent. Even modelling an empty car looks like a major project.

For the bulkhead flat, here's some prototype data on load-securing practices for these cars, from an accident investigation. You'll need to scroll down the page a bit for the pertinent section.

If you really want to get into this (and I suspect you may Wink ) here's a PDF on the AAR's OPEN TOP LOADING RULES MANUAL.

Wayne