comming soon the Ruby Belle tow boat scratch build
Might be worth dropping an email to these people - telling them what you are doing and asking if they have any photos or details of the pilot house interior - asking nicely never hurts - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.haig-brown.com/hottips/hotip186.htm">http://www.haig-brown.com/hottips/hotip186.htm</a><!-- m -->
Short liner ,

Thanks for the links. I sent an e-mail to the Haig-Brown website and also a snail-mail letter to the Ames construction company as they did not have any e-mail addresses on their site. I agree about asking nice as I received a picture of the Columbus steel castings switcher loco by asking nicely.
AF350 Wrote:As for the stack there are two exaust pipes? sticking out of it and already found suitable parts for them( bendy straws) May have to change the title from scratch build to scrap build Icon_lol

I did a Sci Fi model with "parts like that". It was considered a "junk build"

The clear "canopy enclosure" is a cap from a Deoderant "pump spray bottle", there's a ping pong ball, the yellow pieces are Wheel Rims from a discarded, large scale, car kit. The "round things" at the ends of the "wings", were cut away from "Flashcube" bases.
The two things at the far left,with the clear canopies, are the remains of two 1/144 kits of what was thought, at the time, to be what the "Stealth Fighter" looked like. The clear body section between the "Ball", and the yellow "rim", was a plastic shot glass, that I saved from a wine sampling at the local Grocery Store.
---------------------------------------------------

This is what it all became. Have fun with your "Tow Boat" Wink 2285_ 2285_ Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Good morning all.

I received in the e-mail today 2 pics of typical control equipment for a pilot house on tow/tug boats from Haig-Brown website 2285_
AF350 Wrote:Good morning all.

I received in the e-mail today 2 pics of typical control equipment for a pilot house on tow/tug boats from Haig-Brown website 2285_

Great - hope they help you out with Ruby
AF350 Wrote:Good morning all. I received in the e-mail today 2 pics of typical control equipment for a pilot house on tow/tug boats from Haig-Brown website 2285_

2285_ 2285_ That should be all you need ! Thumbsup Thumbsup Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Post a picture of the pilot house interior before you attach the overhead, I'd really like to see how you modeled it.

Let me add a big Thank You to Haig-Brown, for providing that information to you. Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Well just sent a thankyou note and an invite to view the thread to Haig-Brown website. I guess I have to get on the ball and make some progress this weekend. Had a busey day and will be out of town again Friday.
Well here is a sloppy glue job on the risers/posts thing glued to bottom of pilot deck. The roof of the deck house will be a styrene part not the wood I am using to keep the posts square and up right.

Hi all,

Just got in the e-mail a PDF file containing several pics of the Ruby Belle from various points of view and a small article on how it was named after Mr. Ames mother. I will have to study some of those pics to see what details I may have missed before.
Thumbsup Thumbsup 2285_ Thumbsup
I hope that answers any and all the questions you might have. I'll be watching this build, as it progresses. Big Grin Big Grin
Actually cleaned up work bench today, sorted out some junk and gathered up all of the good castings and some that may be usable with a bit of work on them, glued some boxcar doors and put the box cars in a corner to set up and make room for some serious model building on the Ruby Belle between now and the week end. Will have some progress pics soon of the Ruby Belle.
No real visible progress on the Ruby Belle this week end, just studying the pics from the owner of the Ruby Belle, do not want to rush it too much. Have an early appointment tomorrow so maybe later on Monday I might get to making the template for the doors and windows on deck house. May have to visit a hobby shop and or Plastruct and Evergreen to see if they have a suitable plastic rod for the supports of the pilot house, Just might wire up the pilot house with some tiny leds, plan on making a diorama for the model as it will not fit in on current layout configuration Icon_lol

So far it has been a lot of fun building the Ruby Belle in O scale.
Well have been doing a bit of thinking and engeneering in my head and have decided the best way to light up the as of yet unbuilt pilot house is to put the power source(battery?) in the hollow underside of hull run the wires up threw the deck house which will be dark and undetailed inside up threw one of the round posts that supports the pilot house hiding most of the wire by doing it this way. Now to figure out the light source Led or grain of wheat bulb Icon_lol

Hope to have some pictorial progress soon.
There are the port ( red ) and Starboard ( Green ) running lights, that could also be lit, with wires up through plastic tubing support columns ( Evergreen Scale Models ) if you can find it in your local Hobby store.
On Ruby Belle, the red running light is right above the pilothouse door, the green would be in the same place on the opposite side. You could use red and green LEDs for those lights. Cheers
AF350 - I said that next time I had River Lady out of the box, I'd try to geyt you a shot of the inside of her wheelhouse - I've been doing some work on the layout because it is going south for a show next month, and here are the promised photos - radar screen on the left, binnacle to front of the desk with control dials and wheel on the right

hope they help