comming soon the Ruby Belle tow boat scratch build
Shortliner,

Thanks for the additional pics of the controls on your model Thumbsup

Sumpter, almost forgot the outside lights Icon_lol

If nothing else major pops up will work on the Ruby Belle in the morning.

Sunday was mostly spent at a graduration party and I have some appointments on the 7th and 9th that may lead to employment 2285_

As it is at the moment it kinda resembles a house boat Icon_lol

Will check local hobbyshops (Hobby land is the most likely to have scratch building supplies) If they do not have it will check direct from Plastruct or Evergreen. If I could add sound to the model that would be awsome. like maybe a sound trax module recorded with the sound of a diesel motor(non train) but that can always be added later, have to build it first Icon_lol
"Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling", 1969-70 Edition by Charles F. Chapman, M.E.

Lights for various types of craft - Inland Rules:
11- Inland Tug with tow alongside, or pushed ahead:

Bow ( foremast or forward ): Two White 20 point, vertically arranged at least three feet apart.

Side: Red 10 point port, Green 10 point Starboard ( side light obstructed by the tow, the light is transferred to the
outside of the tow ).
Range: When pushing tow ahead, and using 20 point white towing lights forward, may carry two amber 12 point lights
aft ( vertically ) not visible forward of the beam ( widest point of the hull ).

This offered just in case you would like to light the Ruby Belle "according to the rules", OK, as of no later than 1970. Wink
Points : There are 32 points on a compass. Each point is 11.25 degrees. So, a 20 point light forward, is visible for 112.5 degrees either side of center line from the ship's bow.
The 12 point lights aft would be visible 67.5 degrees either side of center line from the ship's stern.
The light fixture would have baffles on each side to block the light from view beyond its "point rating".
Light point value is from the bow, unless it is an aft facing light. in any case it is the angle from the vessel's center line.

There are probably not a lot of model railroaders who would know these facts, unless they had modeled boats/ships, or worked in "the industry".
Hope you find this information helpful.
PS. Hope the sound install goes well. Thumbsup
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Wow a lot of lighting info.

Cut out the first two windows, after looking at the pictures the 2 square windows are not the exact same size on the Ruby Belle so I am not going to worry too much about that other than file the openings to dress it up a bit. The 2 oval windows will be a different story and the door will be a cut out of a thinner material glued in place on the wall of deck house.

If I add sound might as well add a smoke unit for the exaust Icon_lol
I am assuming that the "pillar" with the red and green globes on it, is the ship's compass. The red and green "globes" are for "magnetic compensation". They are adjusted to compensate for the magnetic variations caused by the steel structure of the vessel. I am also assuming that the "console" in the port forward corner is the Radar display console.
Looking really good so far !!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:I am assuming that the "pillar" with the red and green globes on it, is the ship's compass. The red and green "globes" are for "magnetic compensation". They are adjusted to compensate for the magnetic variations caused by the steel structure of the vessel. I am also assuming that the "console" in the port forward corner is the Radar display console.
Looking really good so far !!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

You are right with both your assumptions - I had no idea why the red and greeen globes were there, but now I do - I just copied a picture found on Google images, which is where I found a suitable radar image based on a river, resized it, printed it and stuck it on the front of a shaped block - It actually looks quite realistic There is a good one here - the yellow line crossing the centre is a road or rail bridge - I would rotate the centre of the image in photoshop so that the river (between the two solid lines) runs North/South
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://marineinsight.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bridge_master_E.239162359_std.jpg">http://marineinsight.com/wp-content/upl ... 59_std.jpg</a><!-- m -->
another, with better alignment is here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.furuno.com/en/business_product/images/free/far_21x7_free01_003_l.jpg">http://www.furuno.com/en/business_produ ... _003_l.jpg</a><!-- m -->
One showing a small marine radar console is here
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~dmh/ptiib/images/radar.jpg">http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~dmh/ptiib/images/radar.jpg</a><!-- m -->
And there is a flat on photo here of a complete console - which is already available in a fairly small size - you might need to clone out the lettering - although at the size it will be used it will probably not be visible
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.psicompany.com/catalog/images/Furuno_FAR2117_RADAR_Small.jpg">http://www.psicompany.com/catalog/image ... _Small.jpg</a><!-- m --> Putting Marine radar screen or marine radar image into Google Images will nsupply plenty
I have a 3D printer comming sometime monday, maybe I can print the deck house sides??? But that would be missing out on the fun of cutting the windows Icon_lol

After studying the owner provided pics I seen a detail that looked like a window air conditioner mounted on the front end of deck house.

Have not done much work on any of my projects lately, but have determined that I want to include the following features on the model of Ruby Belle.

1.Lights
2.Sound
3.Smoke unit

All are doable with a bit of engeneering.

Question the long bar on the pilot house is that the radar? and does it spin? If it does spin will have to figure out how to motorize it with maybe a pager motor.
AF350 Wrote:I have a 3D printer comming sometime monday, maybe I can print the deck house sides??? But that would be missing out on the fun of cutting the windows Icon_lol

After studying the owner provided pics I seen a detail that looked like a window air conditioner mounted on the front end of deck house.

Question the long bar on the pilot house is that the radar? and does it spin? If it does spin will have to figure out how to motorize it with maybe a pager motor.

I guess an a/c unit would depend on where you are operating - would be great in Florida , but may not be needed in Noo Yawk for example. The " long bar" is the radar antenna - mine doesn't rotate but it should rotate at somewhere between 24-48 rpm faster for river users
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.furuno.com/en/business_product/detail/marine/index.php?prdcd=FR-8122&category=Radar&business=recreational">http://www.furuno.com/en/business_produ ... creational</a><!-- m --> shows a nice modern unit - gearing for that sort of speed may be a problem
- again marine radar antenna into Google images will give you lots of choice
A thought - using a completely enclosed antanna, like the Garmin one for example, would mean it didn't have to rotate - I assume mine is swithed off because the River Lady is moving the float barge within the dock, and so isn't out in traffic!
As soon as I get the 3D printer in order will try printing up the deck house parts and If they are not up to my standards will continue with the styrene sheet parts(need new knife blade mine broke in mid cut 24 easy to replace just have to do it and maybe while I am at it get some styrene hollow tubes at a hobby shop. Also job hunting is taking up a lot of my time.
AF350 Wrote:After studying the owner provided pics I seen a detail that looked like a window air conditioner mounted on the front end of deck house.

Have not done much work on any of my projects lately, but have determined that I want to include the following features on the model of Ruby Belle.
Question -- the long bar on the pilot house is that the radar? and does it spin? If it does spin will have to figure out how to motorize it with maybe a pager motor.

The "post" with what looks like a ball on top, with the horizontal "bar" on top of that, is the Radar Antenna/drive.
If you are going to motorize it, the rotation rate depends on the maximum range of the radar, and the ( PRR ) Pulse Repetition Rate of the transmitter.
Typical rotation rate would be somewhere close to 2-4 seconds per revolution, or 30-15 RPM
The higher the PRR, the faster the rotation can be, but the shorter the range the radar can see ( the time between transmitted pulses is the receiving time for return echos, the receiver is "blocked" during the transmit time * pulse width* ).
Got the 3D printing thing ironed out, it was 90% design flaw on my part and 10% printer setup 35 Running low on plastic so will hop back on board the Ruby Belle project.
Well I am done with 3D printing for awhile as I have proven to myself that my concept is doable, so I am now in the redesign phase (drawing an improved model).

This means I will jump back on the Ruby Belle project and try to get the deck house completed at least. Also will be scrounge around for some electronic parts, lights and leds are easy to come by as are smoke units the sound is the challenging part. Will keep progress post as often as possible.
No pics but did cut out the square windows on the otherside of deck house. The other windows will have to be drilled out and filed good, the doors will be a glued on detail.

May do some more work on the Ruby Belle later on Sunday evening.
AF350

It looks like 3D printers are the waive of the future. I see Lance Mindheim has purchased a used Black Cat Couger 3D printer. He has it on his website under his Blog section.

Larry
I have made up my mind on the Ruby Belle project I am going to 3D print the deck house and maybe the pilot house as well as I broke a few blades cutting out the windows and they were kinda sloppy and unsquare 35 Most everything else will be sheet styrene or styrene shapes. Still plan to add lights sound and smoke. Hope to be done before spring 2014.

Will post pics as I make progress.
Well,

Made some progress on the Ruby Belle tow boat I have the main"deck" house drawn up in google sketchup, now to get some plastic and print it up. May take a week or so for the plastic to get here once I order it. Will post a pic of drawing soon and then the actual part soon after that.

Yeah I know it is about time I made some progress on at least one project Icon_lol