Lionel's AF SD70ACe
Lionel has hit the S world with a modern locomotive, the SD70ACe. What really was a surprise was the fact they are so accomadating with the scale side of the hobby. They are less so in O but in S doing a fine job IMHO. I bought the KCS "Southern Belle" version. Out of the box it will run on scale track, i.e. code 100 rail. The big AF style couplers are mounted to the pilot, which is seperate from the frame and trucks. So you get a swinging pilot for the sharp AF curves when coupled to the train but not on the leading end. A nice bit of engineering and Lionel made provisions to mount the pilot steps to the frame and put Kadee couplers on it. This isn't your granddad's American Flyer that's for sure.    

Attached Files Image(s)

WOW Cheers

That KCS is a real beauty Thumbsup

Thanks for the pictorial review. Does it come with TMCC? I have a Mike that is TMCC in S from Lionel.

My guess is that Lionel is a bit worried being MTH picked up S-helper.

Competition is very good for the consumer Icon_lol
It does come with TMCC, which can also run on straight DC, AC and DCC. I don't know, Lionel hit the S market pretty good with their U33C, about the time SHS was sold. I think Lionel might have beat MTH to the punch on this. They are up to four new scale locomotives now, two steam and two diesels. They are offerring a cylindrical hopper with scale trucks and the pre-production run looks pretty good. Either way, MTH and Lionel are both pumping some excitement into S, which was dearly needed.

Greg