Alco mania
The Get Off Your Duff Challenge has got me modeling with some renewed vigor. I really like the classic lines of the early RS series from Alco and have decided to add a few to my roster. At this time I have a CNJ RS-1 and RSD-4 in the works along with a DL&W RS-3.     I have removed some of the paint and sanded off some of the unwanted details from the shells.

The RS-3 and D-4 have an extra box on the walkway mounted on the fireman's side, if your running them long hood forward (the only proper way to run an Alco). I do not know what this box was for, but all of my prototype shots show it. This detail is not on the model so I had to make it.     I built a master from some scrap plastic and a leftover part that looked like a battery box door. I then cast a few of them to use on the model.     I mixed a little extra resin and casted a few more Camelback parts just in case Big Grin .
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I have an unpainted RS1 that I really like ...might paint it up in steel mill colours of some sort ...not sure yet . It runs very nicely .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
All those locomotives ran for decades, so you can paint to please yourself. I am internally arguing with regard to using a U-18B as a ISL switcher. Your RS-1 can be almost anything anywhere. I look forward to more.
I'm a confirmed ALCo-haulic!! I've got a RS-3 that needs attention....

Your project inspired me!! Cheers
Carmine A. - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer! Tongue
Pacific Belt Model RR, Created 1975 - in my mind!
I have attached the new "control" boxes ( I think ). They are glued to the shells and not to the cabs so that they can still be removed . On the RS-3 and D-4 I used my castings, and on the RS-1 I built one from some scrap parts as it is the only RS-1 I plan on doing.    

Here is a closeup of my castings, I had to file and sand the bottom of the doors of so that they clear the new boxes.    

From there I moved onto the Marker lights....
The DL&W RS-3 has markers that are very similar to the ones that I removed from a Russian decapod when I built my 2-10-0 camels. So mounting them was just a simple mater of finding them in my parts box, drilling holes ,and gluing them in place.    
The CNJ units are a different story, The markers on them are kind of unique. I built some masters from styrene shapes and once the glue has had a chance to cure I'll cast a bunch. I will need six of them between the D-4 and RS-1.    
There's an RS-2/3 which runs from the Port of Brownsville into B'ville to service the ever-shrinking number of industries along the line.
I see it everyday as it makes its way down the line, unfortunately its about three hundred yards away from my office so I can't get to see much detail... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
THAT'S Awesome, Gus!!!! Big Grin
It is so cool, that a lot of us - can still see a 60+ yr old ALCo chugging down the rails, STILL, in some areas!!!! Wink
Carmine A. - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer! Tongue
Pacific Belt Model RR, Created 1975 - in my mind!
On the DL&W RS-3 I removed some of the material from under the frame. The pro-type for that model has only the air tanks in that location and not the extra large fuel tank. That was removed with a hand file and a hobby knife.

You can really see the difference when compared to the CNJ RSD-4 with a stock under frame.

At this point the three units are ready for primmer and paint. The new details that I've added are sunshades, reworked handrails, marker lights, MU receptacles and hoses, the equipment boxes, and folding end walkways.    

Here are a few more pics, this time of the pilots.    

And here is the CNJ RS-1.

I might be mistaken, but aren't thise boxes battery boxes? Joe Hueber
They could be,, They are of the same type of construction, but the normal battery box location is already included in the model. Most likely they housed some type of road specific signal equipment, or something along those lines. I asked a few people at the Anthracite railroads historical society ( where I am a member ) about them. When I hear back from them I'll post what they really are.
At least some of the CNR's RS-3s had a similar extra box on the walkway. I built mine (to match a photo of the prototype) from styrene, with the louvred face possibly from an Athearn geep.

[Image: otherlocos014.jpg]

Wayne
Got them all primed up and ready to paint today.    
e-paw Wrote:Got them all primed up and ready to paint today.

Just curious what are you priming them with, and which paints will you be using to paint them?

Looking great so far. Thumbsup

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I use Poly Scale water base paints with a double action airbrush. The two CNJ units will be Deep Sea Green (C&NW Green, It's the same color). The DL&W RS will be black.