Hope no one is in the tornado path
FCIN Wrote:
Charlie B Wrote:One of the things I remember about the tornadoes in our area was the eerie greenish yellow sky.
I've heard many people in my area talk about the odd color of the sky that day, but I don't recall that. I do clearly remember that all that morning, it was very windy with a steady stream of little "cotton ball" looking clouds sailing across the sky. By noon that day, no more wind and no clouds at all. When the storms broke out, all you'd see was the storm cell, surrounded by completely clear sky. As I mentioned, I'd never seen anything like that day before or since.

We had a tornado hit Brooklyn about 6 years ago at 6:30 AM a half mile from where I grew up by the Brooklyn Army Terminal (famous for where Elvis Presley embarked for his army deployment in Germany). I friend of mine was riding on the el into work when he saw the sky turn green. He remembered being in a tornado while in the Military and was glad when the train went underground.

I turned on the news that night to see the mother of a friend who I grew up with was just waking up when she heard the high winds. The then looked up to see her roof fly away. Luckily, she was in a doorway and managed to hold on.

It's crazy. At least in a hurricane, you have some preparation beforehand. with a tornado, you hope to have time to get to shelter in time.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:"Sumpter250" wrote: Of all the possible "bad choices", I would rather ride out a "hurricane sandy" at sea, than be smacked by any tornado, anywhere! :o

I don't think the ships did much better. One of the notable losses was the big sailing ships that played one of the British battleships in "Pirates of the Caribbean". I think it was first built in the 60s for Mutiny on the Bounty. Even though it did have its own engines (wasn't using its sails), it somehow got flooded out by the storm and sank. They thought they could go around the storm and head south to Florida before things got too bad where it was in Connecticut.

The last time I saw ( and walked the decks of ) that particular ship, she was HMAV ( Her Majesty's Armed Vessel ) Bounty, at Tall Ships Chicago.
Sad to see her gone, she had fairly recently been re-conditioned, and fitted with new timbers in her frames and hull planking.
Now I'm considering the possibility of building the Plastic kit of "Bounty" as Bounty, rather than the Collier "Bethia", that was renamed Bounty, when the Admiralty acquired her, and armed her for military service.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I haven't been here fro a few weeks. My brother lives in Moore. I talked to him the next morning after the tornado hit. He has 5 acres and it went through the lower acre in his back yard. He had some minor roof damage and a few broken windows. The main inconvenience for him was it knocked down the power pole in front of his house, so he was on a generator. Turns out that power pole only supplied electricity to his house. The neighbors all had full power. He has been in the storm cellar for a few tornadoes, but he hopes never to have one come any closer than that one!
What a story ...that's close !

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Glad your brother is O.K., that had to be a scary time!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string