The Whiskey River Railway
To start off first, the Whiskey River Railway is a semi fictitious railroad. It is influenced by the miniature railroad my "uncle" has at his amusement park but I decided to model it as a full size railroad set in the 1940's. I have a short "history" of the line that I wrote up many years ago as a assignment for a business class.

History of the Whiskey River Railway Company
1880-1940

In the year of 1880, southern Wisconsin was a rapidly growing area. The area was rich of farmland, lead and gravel mining, logging and other commodities. But despite booming population, rapidly growing volume of crops, vast amounts of lead mined and increasing size of cities, territorial transportation was almost literally still in the Dark Ages. Shipping or traveling was by lake or river routes, over mud roads not much better than forest trails, on a few plank roads or military roads—and all of these were generally unusable during parts of the year. So this is why one man developed a rail line to respond to the needs of these communities, and his name was Lee W. Merrick. Though not a true rail tycoon, Merrick cared about his community in that he built a wildlife reserve, two schools, a library and donated rail passes to school children who needed them to get to school. That's why in late 1880, Merrick started the Whiskey River Railway Company.

Probably the most interesting start of a railroad would be this one, in the fact that the railway became official on August 19, 1880 but didn't receive its first locomotive until that next March. Baldwin Locomotive Works made their first locomotive, a Consolidation-type locomotive #1. Some may ask why such a large locomotive as a railroad's first piece of motive power, but to move the heavy loads of dolomite and lead required such muscle. As more funds accumulated, more motive power came to the railroad. A trio of American-type locomotives were purchased in 1882, respectively numbered #2, #3, and #4. The acquisition of these new locomotives brought much needed supplies, passengers and revenue to the heart of Wisconsin as well as adding to the states' growth. Between 1870 and 1900 the population of Wisconsin doubled 1,054,670 to 2,069,042 inhabitants. It was also the greatest period of railroad building.

The line started in Merrick's namesake town of Merrick. From there in early 1881, track was laid north to a once thriving fishing town of Whiskey River. Track parallels this part of the river for some time until it arrives at Redruth. Redruth was the once all important stop on the railroad as it interchanged with the Chicago, Milwaukee and Saint Paul to points all over Wisconsin and Illinois. This first stretch was the entire line in 1884 until Merrick and his investors realized the potential of reaching the north woods. Many more communities were established along his line as it grew into the north but few other rail connections were made. In 1896, Merrick's line was near completion when the only other rail connection on the line was built with the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railroad in Three Corners, WI. This substantially boosted revenue on the line and helped Merrick achieve his goal of owning a successful railroad. By this time the bigger railroads have acquired all the bigger towns and cities, and Merrick took notice of this. So on August 27, 1897 the railroad laid track through and helped established its last town, Tubbs.

Basically every town that the line goes through will be a small switching layout within itself, as my layout is modular/sectional since my job requires me to move a lot. All in all I should have seven modules for the seven towns. I get a lot of my ideas from Carl Arendt's fabulous website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.carendt.com/">http://www.carendt.com/</a><!-- m --> and plans from MR and RMC. I do have a WRRy Facebook fan page with some pics up and also a long story of progress on the Zealot website (you will need to be registered to view images): <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169005">http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169005</a><!-- m -->
Tyler D.
General Manager
[Image: image.php?album_id=238&image_id=4544&display=popup]
The big yard, Merrick as it's named, has gone through various planning stages and I've came up with many different plans to which I may or may not incorporate into the final design. At first I wanted to turn my locomotives using a wye but soon came to realize that it would suck up too much space, even if I were to incorporate yard facilities inside the wye. I eventually borrowed the GB&W's Norwood Yard plan and cut that down as in real life it didn't have much space to work with, being squished in between four city blocks, but it did have a turntable. There is also room for industries on some of the plans, as this is still a work in progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Moving north, the next town is Whiskey River. Other than a smelter for the galena ore to get zinc and lead from, there's just a depot and the mining company store. Maybe in the future I'll expand on this, but for now it's good.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Redruth is the interchange with the Milwaukee Road. One feature I want to have with this interchange is the possibility to have a live interchange, as I have the Twin Cities Hiawatha that'll come through and interchange passengers with the WRRy. With my Givens and Druthers on the table, this is the plan that I currently have. I'm always open for enlightenment.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
At one point in time, Dreisdale was physically built and operational but was torn down due to the fact that I didn't like the track plan after operating it. Now it's just another plan waiting to be built/rebuilt.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
The interchange with the Soo Line happens at Three Corners. Like Redruth, I want to have a live interchange but with less visual demands so it just appears that cars come and go from the Soo. I do have a small amount of Soo locomotives left, as most were sold when I started the WRRy along with some of my more modern GB&W and other locomotives, but it's not as important to me to have them do a run-by as is with the case in Redruth.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Some of you may already know the story of Rock Ridge. Here's a little song about the foundings of that great city: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/WiTKIbR69ss">http://youtu.be/WiTKIbR69ss</a><!-- m --> Rock Ridge holds a special place in my heart, as I first watched Blazing Saddles way back in September 2001 when I had chicken pox. Shortly thereafter MR did it's version of the railroad, called the Rock Ridge Central, and I had to make it part of my railroad. Granted I hit the fast forward button 70 years and moved it up to Wisconsin, but I'm going to try to incorporate a lot of the details from both the movie and the magazine.

As it stands, this is the first module I'm going to attempt to build as either way it should be a nice stand alone switching layout. My barracks room is big enough that I've dedicated a good amount of space in a corner to build it. The trick here in Korea is finding the building materials, as I have to find nice wood to start the superstructure.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
The northernmost town on the railroad is Tubbs. If I end up building the railroad how I want, there will be a junction north of Tubbs called Black Creek Junction which will integrate with the Green Bay and Western at Black Creek, WI. The portion that'll be modeled will be from Norwood Yard in Green Bay to Black Creek, a real life distance of 24 miles. By my calculations the WRRy covers about 110 miles south to north, starting from where the real life Marshall, WI is to where Black Creek is.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Very interesting Thumbsup , looking forward to following along. BTW we don't use the word Zealot around here! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I understand there was a little bit of drama back in the day. As of right now, other than a few strays, is about five of us that keep a moderator employed on the model railroad side of the site... most of us from the Clarksville Model Railroad Club in TN. Although I've left the club physically due to me being in the Army, that's really the only way I keep in touch with those guys. I signed up here to get a broader audience to get more modeling ideas and bounce off my ideas with fellow model rails.
Tyler D.
General Manager
I have two other points of interest that I've yet to draw/adapt a concept for. The first is the Badger Quarry, which I'm unsure if I want to build as a separate module or integrate it into one of my towns. In my one plan of Rock Ridge that I posted I modified the track plan to incorporate it, and would lead to believe that's how the town got it's name in addition to the zinc/lead mine. Plus it has the obvious cliff on the south side of town for the quarry.

The second place I've yet to make plans for is Camp Pierre. Camp Pierre has a deep sentimental place in my heart as it's named in honor of one of my good friends that I lost in Afghanistan, SGT Linda Pierre. Her and myself came to Ft. Campbell at the same time, and we quickly became really close friends. My wife was less than pleased to find out the person I was spending all this free time with was a female, but after I moved her and my daughter down from Wisconsin after I got back from Korea she quickly understood that it was not like that at all. If it would be possible, my wife and I agree that Linda would have been my daughter's second God-mother. She was a great person, a great leader and a great friend. The morning of April 16, 2011 is when a Taliban infiltrator wearing an Afghan National Army uniform walked on FOB Gamberi wearing an IED vest. He went into the main meeting building where a higher level meeting was going to happen but came in too early. Linda, SSG Taylor (our master driver), SFC Adkins (my motor sergeant prior to deployment), SPC Cemper (our computer guru) and SGT Moses (one of our medics) all were in the building when this happened and were ultimately killed. We received the word at around noon that something had happened out there (as I was in Bagram AB working as the maintenance analyst for the 101st Sustainment Brigade) and that there were six casualties. My heart immediately sunk, as I knew my good friend was out there. By 1330 they had the list of names. I know not of one person who didn't shed a tear that day, as everyone knew someone who was killed. The worst part of it was, when something like that happens, you can't call home to vent about it. You go on communications black out until you get the "ok" from higher up. I did disregard that rule though, and called my wife to tell her, "We had a bad day here". It was so hard not to let it all out, but being the smart woman she is, she figured it out as it was on the news relatively quick. She knew where Linda was, and when she heard it was at Gamberi it made sense why I was crying on the phone with her. I doubt I'll ever forget that day, as it seemed to drag on forever and affected how I live today as a soldier.

Camp Pierre, like all of my towns along the WRRy ROW, is fictional but will have a back story similar to that of Camp Claiborne, LA. Camp Claiborne was set up in early 1942 to train soldiers of the Engineer Corps for WW2. It was also home to the 711th Railway Operating Battalion and had a unique shortline that ran 50 miles between Camp Claiborne and Camp Polk (now Fort Polk). Camp Pierre will be a Ordnance Corps training site located west of Milwaukee to teach new recruits how to maintain and recover all sorts of military equipment that was established in 1940. It will be home to the 416th Maintenance Company and give me plenty of unique operations, to include troop trains and lots of flatcars with various military vehicles. Some of that equipment will be a challenge to model as since I'm modeling the first half of the war, a lot of the stuff was thrown into operation and quickly destroyed with few pictures. The most difficult will be the various wheeled-vehicle recovery units (aka tow trucks), as a lot of builders had just built stuff for the government without a standardized plan.

Also since I've discovered this website, the Sergeant Major of the Ordnance Corps is interested in GERN's flux properties for possible use in the war. That has led to talk within the towns to possibly let GERN develop a plant somewhere in Wisconsin along the WRRy. In the near future a meeting should be held with the CEO of GERN and the manager of the Whiskey River Railway to discuss how advantageous GERN can be to not just the US Army but the economy of south-central Wisconsin. It was overheard from the meeting room, "If we can beat the Nazis by 3%, then by George it's good enough for me!"
Tyler D.
General Manager
Sorry to hear about your friend Tyler, my grandson is over there right now and I hold my breath everytime the news comes on. I thank you and all the others for your service to our country. Thumbsup On a lighter note I like your back stories/history for your layout.
Mike

Thank you Mike. May I ask what unit your grandson is in?
Tyler D.
General Manager
Air Force, low level recon.
Mike

Ahh a flyboy! I assumed he was in the Army 35 .
Tyler D.
General Manager