Freelance 2013-2 (MAW)
That little switcher is looking like it really been there a while! Awesome! Thumbsup
A second SW1 switcher starts it's service today.
[Image: file_zpsbc077eb9.jpg]
[Image: file_zps8ced4631.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard
Nice looking SW1s. Thumbsup

--------------------------------------------
Mention earlier:

Since it IS your MR just tell anybody who asks that the SW1 is owned by an old head SP hogger & he had it painted that way because he never liked the SP red/gray bloody nose scheme.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Summerset RY operates a C&O Alco RS1 and Santa Fe Alco S4 that belongs to a local locomotive historical group from time to time..

Works for me.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
faraway Wrote:[Image: file_zpsa6df1321.jpg]
Reinhard; Nice job on the SW-1's - one of my favorite locomotives. The paint scheme on this one reminds me of the SW-1 that works the Graham Grain Elevator in Terre Haute, IN. Can't track down my photos/slides of it, but here's a link to a nice view of it at the elevator: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.ph...3&nseq=291
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
The SW1 after about 2000 are a big surprise for me. I assumed only a hand full of then survived serving grain elevator and an other couple of them in museums. That is plan wrong. I could collect about 250 photos (not all unique) of SW1 (not in museums) after the year 2000.
There a lot of short lines and terminal railroads with SW1 still in use. That is the rational why I started to do my freelance SW1. I did so for two and have two more SP tiger stripes available ( I think about a british racing green one and a blue with white stripe one). I may end up with four different freelance SW1 running my small switching layout.
Reinhard
I worked on the old Proto GP38-2 (2*Seaboard System, 2*Family lines) to become CSX engines. Wiring and drive are complete. Decals are done, LED lights are installed and basic painting has been started. Last steps were dry bush of the trucks and tank and dull coat of the shell after some dry brush weathering. Ditch lights have been added to be useful on my modern times layout. I know Seaboard System GP38-2 made it into the 2000' with the old paint scheme and new ditch lights (e.g. 2667). I could not proof if some GP38-2 in Family Lines paint scheme made it to get ditch lights installed before they got a CSX paint scheme.

You may have notices the sun shade at the cab of the 2652 is missing. I broke it off while handling. I used CA and standard plastic glue. Both do not result is a real stable connection of the standard plastic sun shades. What kind of glue to you use to mount the plastic sun shades to the cab side?
I prefer brass shades mounted in holes but how to handle the plastic ones that come with all Proto engines?

[Image: file_zpsd5c6e964.jpg]
[Image: file_zps040d6176.jpg]
[Image: file_zps5c091980.jpg]

And last not least, I am back to work since one week....... Sad
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:...

And last not least, I am back to work since one week....... Sad

... and we can see your heavy engine power of this not too large switching railroad! Congratulation to your impressing work!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I am going to make an update to the grain industry area at the east end.
[Image: file_zps46ee93c6.jpg]

The quite simple structures in the background are dismantled and the attractive foreground storage bins etc. move to the background.
[Image: file_zpsfcb6b685.jpg]

That permits a new industry served with other cars than hoppers in the foreground. With only three industry serving tracks on the layout is one industry occupying two tracks a luxury I can not afford.
Reinhard
Oh my, again changes made, curious what you are doing next.

koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Great looking exSeaboard and Family line locomotives..

Not picking the nits but, I gotta ask what's with the ditch lights in the 80s?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:....what's with the ditch lights in the 80s?

A very valid question!
It is not my intention to introduce ditch lights in the 80s but to integrate the engines as CSX engines into the timeframe of my layout (year 2000+) or to get them at least as close as possible.
The answer is therefor twofold.
a. I did find sufficient photos of GP38-2 still in Seaboard System paint scheme with CSX patches AND ditch lights. The e.g. 2667 must have had seven lives like a cat and was in use way later than 2000 still in gray paint with ditch lights.
b. My two engines in Family Lines scheme are my weak point. I did find lots of them with CSX patches but I can not proof they kept the family gray long enough to show gray paint and ditch lights.
However I would be glad o find a photo of a Family Lines scheme painted GP38-2 engines with CSX patches and ditch lights.
Reinhard
Reinhard,Ok..Sounds good to me..I wuz just wonderin'.

I been studying SCL,Family Lines and Seaboard System and found like most things one needs to watch his numbers and sub lettering on the Family Lines also some had plows while others did not.. Wallbang

I'm focusing more on the the two main players SCL and L&N..I might add a Clinchfield engine since it was part of the L&N.A family line engine is a given.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Reinhard,

Have you considered adding a brewery to your layout :?: You would be able to keep your elevator and SW1's for a while longer and also bring back you mill building. The brewery would use insulated boxcars/boxcars for beer in cans, bottles and kegs being shipped out. Boxcars for cardboard and packaging coming in and recycled paper and cardboard going out. Tank cars for corn syrup and caustic soda(for cleaning the brewing equipment). Mechanical reefers for the hops and plenty of covered hoppers for corn, malt and cullet(broken bottles). Also an occasional airslide hopper for rice. Something for your consideration.

Bruce
Bruce,A brewery can be a one industry ISL and that SW1 would fit right in.

I thought of changing Slate Creek to a one industry ISL and since I favor boxcars I thought of a veneer and finishing mill.

That's why the fool thing isn't built.. Curse Wallbang
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I did start with the first walls two hours ago. My idea is to have a generic industrial building that can handle various cars (mainly box cars) to be placed at the not visible backside. The building shall be an old base with various extensions resulting in a mixed style.

[Image: file_zps1861504a.jpg]
9:45pm photo updated
Reinhard