Freelance 2013-2 (MAW)
The structures on that side of the tracks are complete now. The leg reaches the maximum possible hight on my layout due to an overhead cabinet.
The modern conveyor has been added recently and replaced the old in house conveyor as well as the former belt conveyor in the gallery over the concrete solos.

[Image: file_zps182c2b22.jpg]

Pulling first grain from the new silos
[Image: file_zps7a1a0239.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard,

I really like how you swapped silos. Everything looks balanced now. Thumbsup

What paint did you use on the surge bin. The shiny effect is quite realistic.

I should stop to follow your thread, it could reactivate the train bug!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Matt, the silver paint is a rattle can too. It's intended use is for wheel rims.
Reinhard
The south elevator complex is complete. The leg and pipes got a gray paint and the steel bin got a thin layer of light gray over the glossy silver. Those colors match a somewhat older part better.
The ground got it's base cover. Shrubs and trees will follow in the next days when the white glue has set. I do not intend to put any further structures at that spot to emphasize the rural location.

[Image: file_zps109e7768.jpg]
[Image: file_zps84bd3521.jpg]

North and south elevator complex. Walthers has niche conveyor bridge kit of edged brass (933-2940). I plan to run that conveyor bridge over the wet and dry bins into the top house of the concrete elevator/silo. The grain dryer/surge bin and truck unloading pit (and loading?) will be connected with another leg. Those parts shall be brand new and stay as glossy steel.

I am unsure how to do the truck loading. I can use the shed currently used for testing and attach it to a leg. I did see a lot of prototype examples where truck loading grain flow is better controlled via another surge bin, similar to the one feeding the grain dryer. Another option is to use the surge bin for truck loading and feed the grain dryer directly from the leg.
Question:
Does the prototype dump the grain directly from the leg into grain dryer and truck loading or is one or both grain streams buffered via one or two surge bins?
(ps. assembling the surge bin kit is a pain.....)

[Image: file_zpsf4174bb5.jpg]
Reinhard
Green Monday
[Image: file_zpsc6be8b0f.jpg]
Reinhard
Two towers support a conveyor bridge connecting the old concrete silo with the new wet and dry bin. The right end of the bridge will be connected to a leg servicing grain dryer, truck loading and truck unloading facilities.

[Image: file_zps6c1c5f4d.jpg]
Reinhard
Wow ! Eek Now there is a real industry that can support a massive amount of railroad activity. Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Cheers Looks the business!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
The second leg got installed. It got a custom connection to the belt conveyor of the wet/dry bin. This connection is like a "hand" on the bridge and the foot of the leg has two nails stick in the cork ground to ride on. That is a flexible mounting base convenient during assembly of the complex..
[Image: file_zpsebb89bfd.jpg]

The second surge bin to be used for truck loading arrived today. The baseplate got modified to act as the truck unloading bin and got connected to the leg.
[Image: file_zpsbd378722.jpg]

The components are connected via belt conveyors at the ground. The glue is still white... will set until tomorrow. Sorry, the bin connection are cheat only. I did plan to late for the ground conveyors and could not reach the bottoms of the wet and dry bin anymore.
[Image: file_zps2cbffc17.jpg]
Reinhard
It's been said before, but needs repeating. Reinhard, Your speed in modeling and attention to detail are unbelievable. Every time you come up with a new scene you nail it, spot on. This is a great complex in a relatively small space. Very well executed.
John
Thank you for the kind words.

All structures of the grain complex are complete. The truck loading bin is still in plastic gray because the balcony is not available for rattle can spray this evening. I think it might be nice to spray it light gray instead of silver to have a little diversion with all that stainless steel.

[Image: file_zps46ee93c6.jpg]
Reinhard
Outstanding! You've certainly captured the look of a large rural grain elevator complex and I love the way you have included the truck dump and the truck in unloading position. Very inspiring and excellent modeling!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Your new industry is looking good, are you going to change the layout of the street? It looks a little odd with that giant bin taking up the lane.
Rscott417 Wrote:Your new industry is looking good, are you going to change the layout of the street? It looks a little odd with that giant bin taking up the lane.
Work is in progress

The long road became a narrow service road without any road markings. The street surface suffered badly from the removal of street markings and got plenty of patches. The trucks can line up in one lane at harvest season while the other lane is street running.
[Image: file_zps2d7cb388.jpg]

and it became a modern concrete yard at the silos matching a new yard at the new silos.
[Image: file_zps95eff052.jpg]

and a short time later removed the vacuum the waste of the night work and a layer of base sand is applied, sprinkled with water and soaked with glue. I plan an extra trip downtown Stuttgart today to get grass and all kind of green to cover the ground "Ohio-style".
[Image: file_zpsae0d09f5.jpg]
Reinhard
Any chance you could post a list of the kits you have used for the grain facility?

Cheers

Colin