Voyager I Enters Interstellar space :)
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean Andy. This star system is soooooooooooooooo last millenium. I only come back here once in awhile just to visit some friends and family then BAM, I'm soooooooooooo outta here again! Icon_lol

I'm sorry we have strayed from your one track (pun intended) mind.... Eek
Gus (LC&P).
Puddlejumper Wrote:
Steamtrains Wrote:To repeat...The article says 11.6 MILLION miles. A billion is a thousand millions....
Yeah, I noticed the correction and then googled it.
NASA Wrote:PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft officially is the first human-made object to venture into interstellar space. The 36-year-old probe is about 12 billion miles (19 billion kilometers) from our sun.
From <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyager/voyager20130912.html">http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyag ... 30912.html</a><!-- m -->
Either way, it is way farther than I can imagine, one much farther than the other...

Well - the fastest way I thought of to settle this one was to Google the orbit of Pluto Smile

Aphelion (Farthest from The Sun): 7,311,000,000 km --- That's 7.3 Billion km Smile So.. The Billion Miles is correct, since "Million" would be well inside the orbit of the Earth (152 Million km)... Are you smarter than a 5th grader?? 35 35 35

So, NASA is correct Smile But we already knew that --- right????? Eek
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
This still has nothing to do w/ RRs - yawn.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Lower Berth
Talk about most anything non-train related here
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
.............. and that's why it's in this "Non Train Related" forum Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:.............. and that's why it's in this "Non Train Related" forum Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Oh shoot, I though we were talking about long trains. Eek

To paraphrase a long-ago senator, a billion miles here, ten billion there and pretty soon we're taking really long distances. 357

To put things in prospective, I once drove from California to New York, that's been about my limit for long distances. Misngth As for heights, cruising along at around 35,000 feet was my tops. A few feet more and we could have slung out of orbit and into outer space. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
If Voyager has been traveling for its 36 years of age:
It would have to be moving at +/- 36,042 MPH hour, to have traveled 11.6 Billion miles.
to reach 11.6 Million miles, it would have to have traveled at 360.42 MPH
The average airspeed of commercial jets is 500 knots. This is roughly 575 mph.
Logic seems to indicate that 11.6 billion miles is more correct, Voyager moved faster that a commercial jet.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Despite all the arguments, this is really neat. I remember hearing about the launch and following some of its progress during my school years. Pretty wild. Thumbsup
Which reminds me,.... we haven't heard any new news as to weather it has official gone interstellar. Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Which reminds me,.... we haven't heard any new news as to weather it has official gone interstellar. Smile Smile

Got my "ride" out:     and went looking ......

Looks like "interstellar" to me. Wink Smile 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Sumpter250 Wrote:
ngauger Wrote:Which reminds me,.... we haven't heard any new news as to weather it has official gone interstellar. Smile Smile

Got my "ride" out: and went looking ......

Looks like "interstellar" to me. Wink Smile 357
Icon_lol Too Funny!!!! Smile Big Grin Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The next time I feel like joy riding I'll need to borrow that jewel Pete! Eek Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:The next time I feel like joy riding I'll need to borrow that jewel Pete! Eek Thumbsup

Just give me a couple of days advanced notice.....the Inertial compensators will have to be re calibrated, and then matched to your body mass, so you accelerate at the same rate as the vessel. With a 0 - 5X 'light', instantaneous jump,it could "get messy" if that isn't done. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Big Grin
You mean Voyager isn't in the Delta Quadrant?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
It missed the telephone booth so it has to circle back.
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)