Getting close to the end....
Great stuff as always, Wayne!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Doctor Wayne---I guess that old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broken" dosen't mean anything to you---you have converted some very nice original cars into works of art Thumbsup The Pennsy covered hopper and the pickle car are real beauties Cheers
Thanks once again for the kind words, folks. :oops:

Bear, the Bowser H-30, about 5" long, tips my el cheapo scale at 4oz., about 1/2oz. over the NMRA recommend weight for a car of that length. The trucks are extremely free-rolling (and also nicely detailed with a fully-represented spring package) so the car should perform well in a train.

While I, too, would have preferred a kit, the in-store price was about six bucks lower than the announced price, and since this is a car which I have long wanted, seemed reasonable enough. I am generally not a fan of r-t-r, as most of what I've seen needs further work, but this one had pretty-well everything, including nicely-piped brake gear and at least some of the brake rigging not normally visible on a hopper car. All of the grab irons are metal and to-scale. Unfortunately, the car is made in China, so I doubt that we'll see kit versions of it. Still, kudos to Bowser for ensuring that it was done so well. If I were modelling Pennsy, I'd have bought several. Thumbsup

Wayne
WOW DOC!!! that door and a half looks great,, Now I want one... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/doctorwayne/Freight%20Cars%20-%20Part%20II/Modifiedrollingstock054.jpg">http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/ ... ock054.jpg</a><!-- m -->

What kind of trucks did you use?
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Gidday Wayne, thanks very much for the run down on that Bowser H 30. Over weight, in my limited experience, that would have to be a first. Looks like if I see one in this neck of the woods I'll have to grab it while I can.
Cheers, the Bear.
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."
Thanks, Steve - it's always good when it meets with the approval of the road's CEO. Wink

Those trucks are National B-1s, from Proto, now Walthers. The prototype ones entered service about 1931.

Wayne
Wayne,
I like that, pickle,packer,shipper,too.Great Job!! 35
Cheers,
Frank,AKA zstripe
Four letters in GERN... Four tanks on the pickle car... I smell a car in the works that's 3% more awesome! Icon_lol
Tyler D.
General Manager
[Image: image.php?album_id=238&image_id=4544&display=popup]
A week from Forum absent - and now this!
A dozen or so revised and additional detailed models of Doc! What a show in freight car modeling. And at the end of a revised sample of 'my' pickle car - new details and replaced parts.
How all time again - highest acknowledgment for this fine work, Doc!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Thanks for your kind words, Bernhard. Smile Your great-looking pickle cars were the inspiration which made me decide to revitalise that old Athearn car. Much better to have it in-service on the layout, rather than languishing in its box. Wink Goldth

Wayne