Freelance 'Norfolk & Western' secondary.
Brakie Wrote:2 coach commuter train from the ferry dock to the distillery.

The industrial workers that live on the mainland (I converted your layout to a island off the East coast of Virginia :o ) will need a way to get to and from work.

Whilst I hadn't considered an island Eek that was my 'excuse' for a passenger train Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Kev,I figurged with your car float,add a ferry and a island and instant satisfaction of getting your layout desires.

A automobile ferry would work but,in the HO world there is no room for the access road. Wink

Way to much time on my hands.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Having had no comments on my track plan, I've decided to go with it. The main line is now laid, wired and tested Goldth The transformer I'm using is quite old, and 'hums' a bit .... I might have to replace it Sad At least the 'HIgh Frequency Track Cleaner' is new and working well - another good reason to stick with DC - I haven't had to clean track for over twenty years since I started using them Thumbsup

Next up I need to get the main industry buildings tided up so I can accurately position the spurs, and likewise the loco servicing area. Also I have to decide on dimensions for the car float so I can lay the lead tracks.

Once the last tracks are laid I can finish the wiring and start to enjoy myself!

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
The only thing I would comment on with the track plan is I would probably have an interchange/continuing mainline going into the corner on the bottom right for a little more operational variety. But it looks fine without it as well.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks for your comments Mike.

I considered an interchange, but I want to keep the bottom corner to the right of the distillery clear. The baseboard can't be extended into the area to the left of the distillery as there is a door opening into the room that can't be reversed. I am leaving myself the option to put a hinged staging line across that area as an extension to the main that could lead to an interchange.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Hi Kev,

I don't know how I missed your thread, but it looks like you're off to a good start. I'll be following your progress.
I like the freelance idea, and you seem to have plenty of operational potential too.

All the best,

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Thanks for the comments Koos.

The concept of this layout has been percolating in the back of my mind for three or so years, it's good to get started on it. Operations is my primary interest, and hopefully I have fitted enough in without making it feel too crowded.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Tyson Rayles Wrote:The only thing I would comment on with the track plan is I would probably have an interchange/continuing mainline going into the corner on the bottom right for a little more operational variety. But it looks fine without it as well.

Mike,The car float should be the interchange much like NYCH..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:The car float should be the interchange much like NYCH..

Exactly Goldth

The car-float is the connection to rest of the system. The only Norfolk & Western car-floats were at Detroit, (quite big ones at that) and I did consider an extra interchange with the CN, but decided it would make the layout to crowded.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
I understand the carfloat/ferry is an interchange, I just thought having a interchange on both ends with add more operational possibilities. Of course if we go with the island theory then it wouldn't make sense to have two railroads on the same island unless that island is reallllly big! Like say England or Japan or ......... Icon_lol
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:I understand the carfloat/ferry is an interchange, I just thought having a interchange on both ends with add more operational possibilities. Of course if we go with the island theory then it wouldn't make sense to have two railroads on the same island unless that island is reallllly big! Like say England or Japan or ......... Icon_lol

Actually NYCH does indeed have a none water connection with NY&A at 65th Street, Bay Ridge..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Well there you go, he needs to do an interchange on that end as well! Cheers
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Well there you go, he needs to do an interchange on that end as well! Cheers

Not so fast grasshopper..The majority of the cars came by float not through the land interchange.

I will also mention NYCH is no more..The new owners renamed it New York New Jersey Rail(NYNJR).
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Good progress over the weekend.

Final tracks at the distillery end, I still have the option to add a removable staging track to represent the continuation of he branch if I feel the need for more inbound traffic.

At the dock end, I finally decided to go with a 3 track car-float for several reasons:

Three tracks gives a more interesting load/unload operation.
Greater car capacity, as it will be the only 'staging', at least initially.
The N&W's Detroit car-floats were 3 track.

Due to lack of space, I had to have the switches leading to the car-float infringing onto the 'apron', the N&W's were back from the 'apron', leaving 3 straight tracks through the apron, but at least I didn't have to have the switches intruding onto the car-float as on the Walthers model.

That said, all tracks through the 'apron' and onto the car-float itself are laid, including the storage spur for the barrier fat cars!

I also had time to build up the deck of the car-float around and between the tracks, a job I'm glad to have done! Hopefully I can get the hull cladding done this week, then I just need to define all the details I need to add.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Seems like I've had barely any time for modelling lately, but I guess all those snatched half hour sessions add up, so I figured it was time for some update photos!

[Image: Yard1800.jpg]
First up, the yard area ... ballasted, float apron need loads of work obviously. Only basic 'dirt' ground cover applied at this time.

[Image: YardandDepot2800.jpg]
Yard entrance, showing the yard office and loco maintenance building.

[Image: YardOfficeandDepot800.jpg]
Same area from a different angle, also shows the depot (which needs 'converting').

[Image: IndustrialAreaandDepot1800.jpg]
The industrial area is coming along ...

[Image: IndustrialArea800.jpg]
As is the 'pie' factory ....

Hopefully it won't be so long before the next update! Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life