Alternate use for Red Wing Milling?
As it says in the title ... I have an unassembled Walthers Red Wing Milling kit which I want to use on my new layout. I have a position against the backdrop where it will fit perfectly once I've 'unfolded' it to make a double length low relief building out of it.

Problem is, I don't want a flour mill. Any suggestions for a different use for this building? Ideally I'd like something that would generate at least a couple of different car types.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
It is a very universal industry. It is easy to have hoppers to be loaded from a overhead pipe, add a grid for hopper unloading, add a thick hose at the ground for pellet hopper unloading, add a thin hose at the ground for tank car unloading, add a loading door for boxcars.
Add a freelance company name and tell everybody who asks it is plant #5 of the nnWii corporation.

I prefer generic industries. They support a wide range of operating sessions depending on my mood.

ps. nnWii = Nobody kNows What It Is Big Grin
Reinhard
Just like GERN. Does nnWii improve anything by a certain percentage?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
As Reinhard has stated , it's a pretty generic kit like many of the Walthers products . Decide what you want it to be , add a few details by Googling pictures of the industry you have selected , and sell the idea to the onlooker . Pipes and industrial junk go a long way to making an industry look right .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
[Image: Full-sizedGERNfoe-toes017.jpg]

[Image: Full-sizedGERNfoe-toes006.jpg]

[Image: 100_5770.jpg]

[Image: Rebuiltcarsscraploadslayoutviews-8.jpg]

Useful for boxcars, covered hoppers and/or tank cars, and suitable for any era from the '20s to present day.

Wayne
Wow Wayne, I hadn't seen that before. Very impressive and veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy well done! Worship
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Wayne, your GERN facility is indeed impressive, I've admired it a few times, and did you know someone has 'modelled' it for the Trainz simulator?

I have no shortage of ideas for how to modify/convert the Red Wing Milling model, but deciding on a suitable industry is the problem. What else, suitable for 60s to early 70s would have large dust collectors?

I'd prefer to avoid a generic industry if I can.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
The structure has a solid concrete skeleton and probable very robust floors permitting heavy machinery on all floors.
That could be a plant to do smaller steel based product. May be somehow related to the car industry. You could manufacture mufflers, shock absorber, spark plug, seat skeletons etc.
Reinhard
Kev , most industries have dirt and dust problems , the size and number of them vary . Your 3 dust collectors will work anywhere . In large , very dirty environments like my steel mill they use a "bag house " essentially a humongous dust collector . You could even make an interesting scene with a partially completed add on to expand the building ....girders , cement , gravel etc . .......use your imagination .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Furniture factory is another possibility.
Mike

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Furniture factory is another possibility.

That was one I was thinking about, finished product out in boxcars (and trucks), sawdust out in hoppers, possibly timber inbound ....

Any other suggestions Goldth

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
ANNE TEAK REPRODUCTION FURNITURE sounds good!
Kev the two furniture companies here shipped out the finished product in boxcars of course. The inbounds were dimensional lumber, stains, glues and in the case of one of them fabrics. The sawdust never left the property, they both used it to fuel the boilers to heat the buildings. So box cars and tank cars in and box cars out. They also had a clean out track to clean out the incoming boxcars before filling them with the outgoing product.
Mike

A food products company (314 Pie Company?) could also work. Box cars of packaging and non-perishable ingredients; reefers full of perishable ingredients and outgoing product; covered hoppers of flour, sugar, etc.; tank cars of syrup, cooking oils, heating oils, GERN additive (to make it 3% better) monosodiumidontknowwhatimeating, etc.; insulated box cars of outgoing product; and hoppers of coal for the company power plant.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Thanks for all the ideas guys!

I think the food products is sounding the best option so far, it fits the 'scenario' I'm looking for, and provides a good range of car types. None of the other industries I have planned call for tank cars, so that alone is making it appealing - not too mention the requirement for GERN additives, who can say no to a pie that tastes 3% better Goldth

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life