What Happened?
Hmmm...apparently no one om this forum even remembered that December 7th was Pearl Harbor Day, or the many military personnel who tragically lost their lives. Icon_lol
Every year, is is necessary to post about it here? You can be sure i did not forget what day it was.

In any event, one interesting bit of news was that a P40 Warhawk that survived Pearl Harbor was just donated to the Collings Foundation. there is only one other flyable aircraft in the world that survived the attack on Pearl Harbor.

It will be interesting to see, and I'm told its going to be ready for a special flight on the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
MountainMan Wrote:Hmmm...apparently no one om this forum even remembered that December 7th was Pearl Harbor Day, or the many military personnel who tragically lost their lives. Icon_lol

I think it is an unfounded assumption to believe that the lack of a Pearl Harbor thread means that members of this forum forgot the significance of the day OR are uncaring regarding the sacrifice of those who lost their lives on December 7th. You yourself did not post a thread Saturday. Should I assume that you forgot and don't care? Of course not. I imagine it is more likely that most of us realized that it was Pearl Harbor day Saturday but felt no need to remind others ...since we assumed everyone was well aware of the date. Perhaps you feel it is a forum responsibility to post such a thread annually. Please do feel free to initiate one every year if you'd like.
MountainMan Wrote:Hmmm...apparently no one om this forum even remembered that December 7th was Pearl Harbor Day, or the many military personnel who tragically lost their lives. Icon_lol

:oops: I guess we kind of got used to you posting the first, or opening remarks, for these events.
:oops: My "Wooden Boats Calendar" didn't have the day marked !!!!
:oops: Having just celebrated my 70th birthday...looks like I might be suffering from Icon_twisted CRS :o Icon_twisted syndrome.

:oops: Being a Viet Nam era vet.,my thoughts, now, are more centered on trying to keep alive the memory of those who still lie, -- Sad where they fell in battle. Those who are simply known these days as, M.I.A.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

There are posts by several people in the Hobo's Camp thread about that. The discussion took place on December 7. It is on pages 96 and 97. Nobody started a new thread, but that happens sometimes. Even though, it was discussed here. Sorry you missed it, I thought you'd be posting something there as well.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I didn't see any new thread for the anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, but I know we all remembered it. Every day is a memory for someone, and many of us prefer to remember in silence. Symbolism is worthless, it is sincerity that counts, and sincerity comes from the heart, and often times does not show outwardly.
Charlie
Even here in the UK we remembered Pearl Harbour day and the anniversary of Kennedy's assassination, I just don't feel the need for a new thread to cover every anniversary on a model railway forum. Not shouting about it doesn't mean it's forgotten.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
We remember Dec 7th.

But what happen between November 14-18th 1965 that cost 251 lives and 245 wounded?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Sorry Brakie, only just saw your question. Battle of La Drang, few remember Vietnam it seems.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Brakie Wrote:We remember Dec 7th.
But what happen between November 14-18th 1965 that cost 251 lives and 245 wounded?

In that period of time, I was attending Electronics Technician Class A school, at Great Lakes Il., having just re-enlisted.
My memory of that event was "over written", by all the information i was learning at the time.

The "Peace Accord" was signed in 1975, I transferred to Fleet Reserve in 1983. I tried not to dwell on the "goings on" in 'Nam, it made my job easier, not thinking that the next duty station transfer might be my last........ yes, if I had received the orders, I would have gone.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
not thinking that the next duty station transfer might be my last..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That could apply to South Korea too..The DMZ was combat pay because a NKA sniper could and would fire on you.I was shot at several times while on forward observation-a 30 day duty at that time(74)..Thankfully it was harassment fire..We was strictly forbidden to return fire lest we set off a international incident.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

What more can i say,
the Constitution Of The United States Of America, has been well defended !

Anyone who has taken the Oath of Enlistment, knows exactly what I mean.
Sumpter250 Wrote:What more can i say,
the Constitution Of The United States Of America, has been well defended !

Anyone who has taken the Oath of Enlistment, knows exactly what I mean.

Allow me this..

The first 30 days in country you believe in what you was doing..

The second 30 day: What in Hades am I doing here?

The third thirty days you consider yourself a walking dead man..

The last thirty days was the roughest------and longest.

On the freedom bird you just prayed no hot shot VC or NVA would fire a rocket or some NVAF pilot would shoot you down.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Allowed, and understood. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup