A hole in the wall X4 - a liftout bridge (page 12)
Thank you! Questions! I LOVE questions.
To answer that directly - No. I'm not. However, it can be done quite easily... just not at the same time. The club layout near me has a toggle so that you can either run the layout in DC mode or DCC mode. Just not both together.
My layout is DCC, hence the reason for the Digitrax Zephyr controller. The DC controller will be used to power lights and accessories and I'll use one of the throttle controls to run the turntable motor. I've not figured out what I'm going to use the other throttle for but I'm sure it won't be hard to come up with something! I've had that controller for years and figured I might as well use it and that was as good a place to put it as any!
As far as the DCC department goes, I don't even really use the Zephyr that much either except for basic functions and when operating a third engine. It's mostly just a booster as I take the output from that and run it through a UR91 (radio/IR receiver unit) connected (or not) to a DT400R wireless controller.
This thread is a great insight into the building of a layout TN, right from the first ideas, to the problems, your innovative solutions and the implementation of the plan. A most positive read for any aspiring RR Mogul. Thumbsup

I was wondering on the logistics of the running of your empire, as it runs through three separate states with seemingly no visual control from one state to the other. Do you require 3 fat controllers to manage a state ( Room ) each, so a wayward train or electrical glitch is easily fixed on the spot? Or do you commute between states to enable a smooth running? And from which room is the control cab operated, or as I guess, you can move around the layout with plug-ins at various places?
Keep your workers employed building the RR 'cause they are doing a wonderful job. Cheers

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
OBJack Wrote:Do you require 3 fat controllers to manage a state ( Room ) each, so a wayward train or electrical glitch is easily fixed on the spot? Or do you commute between states to enable a smooth running? And from which room is the control cab operated, or as I guess, you can move around the layout with plug-ins at various places?
I thank you for the compliments.
The short answer... 1 controller, two states in close proximity for now, control cab is a wireless unit for ease of operations.

The longer answer...
With each new layout I build, it seems I tackle new problems I've never dealt with before and the multiple room layout is just such an experience. To date, the layout has not been constructed in the living room portion yet. For now, I loop it through the entertainment center to complete my circuit. Once the layout progresses much further, then will I proceed to make a mess in the living room as well. For now, for the sake of harmony, the mess is contained in one area of the house. Thus said, it's quite easy to stand in one spot and see the whole layout. My spotters also do a great job of immediately bringing my attention to any operating glitches thus far(usually a turnout set to the wrong position).

Derailments aren't a problem as I seem to have a knack for track laying. Thus I won't be too concerned in the future when the trains disappear from sight for a bit to travel through a different state (the living room).
continued...
Also, for my main controller, I'm using a wireless Digitrax DT400R that I can plug in from state to state if desired or just run wireless. Perhaps in the future I'll get fancy and mount a camera in the other room with a monitor in the main room so that I can keep an eye on the other area.
Thanks for asking!!!!!!!!!!
Well guys, I've got this area at the back of my yard where a track pops through the divider into the scene. It's rather awkward and I've been looking for a suitable building to help bring the track in with some dignity.
Here is the scene...
[Image: Site.jpg]

Rather awkward as it is. Sooo, here recently, I came across this building. It was prebuilt and cheap. I found it at kind of a yard sale. As soon as I saw it, I had some ideas as to how to make it work...
[Image: BackFacade.jpg]

[Image: Frontfacade.jpg]

First thing I did was to very delicately stick it on the chop saw and VERRRRY slowly and carefully, split it in two.
[Image: Splitintwo.jpg]

I figured since I picked it up for pretty cheap and it was already in rough shape, I didn't have much to lose. I then cleaned it up a bit and slid it in place for a test fit...
[Image: Testfit.jpg]

Looks like it fits. Tonight I laid some cork underneath to raise it up just a bit for some more clearance and then I've got to add some windows and other bits to make it part of the scene. Still a ways to go....
That is working out well! Much better with the new building there. And love the chop saw action! Did you very slowly feed the blade into the building a thousandth at a time?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Yep! Maybe even slower than that!
I finished this little structure tonight. It will eventually be placed near my waterfront scene.
[Image: FrontfacadeIFT.jpg]

[Image: BackFacadeIFT.jpg]
That building is going to look great for the curve! Great job of cutting it, if I would have done it the who thing would have been flying through the air! Nice job on the interstate freight terminal, it makes a worthy edition to your layout!
Scott
You really cut that with the miter saw? I guess it worked!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Cheers Cheers
No way I would have attempted that.... Nope I have a hard time cutting a 2x4.....

Much better as it turned out.... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Yeh kinda unbeleivable huh?! I just dropped the blade down ever so slowly. The only problem I had is that as the sides started to come apart, the different floors inside the building became loose and I had to be careful that they did not get sucked into the blade and mangled.
Interstate freight is a cool little building. Kitbash or scratchbuild?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I like the Machin-Bier Co. I think you made great use of it. Your backdrop city looks terrific! Love the saw photo. You're kidding though, right? Teeth that size would chop that building into smithereens! Goldth

Ralph
Gary, the interstate building was a kit. It's been sitting around for a while though and I finally got to it.
Ralph, no kidding. That's exactly how I cut it as you see right there in the pic. I just lowered the arm ever so slowly, kept my fingers out of the way, and held the building down as best I could and up against the back plate. It took me maybe 3 or 4 minutes and I had to spin the building around a couple times so the blade would reach. As the blade cut it's way down through, some of the pieces would come loose and so I had to stop and remove them so they would not get damaged as the blade dropped further. No lyin'!
I'll be darned! Thumbsup