4X8 layouts
Kam, everything in that scene is great with one exception, and that is the base on the telephone pole. I cut mine off and drilled a small hole up the center and put a piece of 16 gauge solid copper wire up inside, leaving about 3/4 of an inch sticking out, and secured it with CA. I then drilled a similar hole in the layout where the pole goes. If I bump the pole the wire bends, and can be straightened right up.
You did a spectacular job with the chain link fence, and the load in the gondola is perfect too. You have a great eye.
Charlie
Shortliner,

please check your PM

Doug Crook
Hello Kamerad,

I really like what you've done with your layout. The paving in the transload yard really ties it all together as a single scene. I like that you've based it on what you see around you, this really makes it a lot more interesting.

Some questions:
I'm curious about the Bachmann bilevels, how well do they operate on an 18 inch radius? I've considered them but haven't determined whether I can run them or not on my tighter curvers.

re ceiling suspension: This is very cleverly done. Do you use 2 lift points, or 4 lift point, on the layout? I can't tell from the photos.

--Doug
Here is a couple of pics of a centerbeam car ready to be unloaded for Sandy hill supply on the Dundee transload yard team track!!! Thumbsup
There are 4 eye bolts one in each corner & there a 2 2x4' with 2 eye bolts each that connected with hooks to the ones on the layout & 2 eye bolts in the middle of the 2x4' that connected to the hoist .
The Bachmann cars run fine on 18" curves the may not look the best doing so But it's all a compromise . I run 22' curves on the outside loop , that is the NJT line NS runs it to deliver cars to the PRT interchange & PRT has trackage rights to run on the NJT to the Interchange to get the cars !! Your right about the telephone poles, I'm not sure where I'm going to put them yet , It's still is a work in progress!!!! Thumbsup :o Confusedhock:

Attached Files Image(s)

I took some pic of the lifting points in case i didn't explain it so good !!! You know what they say a pic is worth a thousand words!!!!! Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

That looks like a not insulated garage. Do you live in an area with "nice" weather?
Reinhard
I think we have a youngster aboard the hobby Cheers I started building the 4x8 layout for her lastnight and she was running her very 1st train.... well loco. Will start a new thread under layouts and post pics as we progress.

Attached Files Image(s)

Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Here's a view from Google Maps of a part of Vernon, CA served by the Los Angeles Junction Ry. It isn't a full oval -- the curve on the left is missing -- but the rest of it may as well have been planned for a 4 x 8. Only the section on the lower right, with a covered hopper on the spot, is currently active, but it ought to be an inspiration to anyone who wants to do something other than a shelf layout cliché. Again, I think Kamerad isn't too far from the leading edge here!

The whole area is reached by a switchback move from the lower right, another item that "isn't prototypical".
It's a garage so when it's cold it's cold & it's been cold lately !!! But we all have to make do with what we have !! But I really only work on the layout on sundays (sometimes on saturdays) & I take pic's then too! He are a couple of pic's of a small Bio fuel plant I've been working on . It's at the end of the PRT line , there is no switch in the plant so they have to take the cars back about 1/4 of a mile & cross a street to a small runaround & bring them back , It's based on a old erie now NS branchline near my house that does the same-thing !!!! Check out the water tower with the cell antenna's on it it's a common thing around here that why it's still standing!!! It's still a work in progress !!! :o Confusedhock: Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

Why do they need to run around? Is there a reason they can't just shove the whole distance?

They do it to switch empty for full tankers end of the line single track !!!! the branchline is about 10 miles the move back to the run around is about a 1/4 of a mile!!!! Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

There's an article in the February 2014 RMC that really caught my eye by a guy who built a 4x 6 layout with/for his son, now 11. The whole thing seems to be very well done, and it gets a lot of good use from the space, as far as I can see (I wish there were more photos of the layout). He says he used the Atlas "Dispatcher's Delight" layout, but RMC didn't publish the plan (you can find it at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.atlasrr.com/code100web/pages/10002.htm">http://www.atlasrr.com/code100web/pages/10002.htm</a><!-- m --> ). The boy seems very happy with the layout, the dad seems to be too, and it looks like they have a very good mutual activity. This is an argument for the traditional hobby and the nuclear family! (My own dad didn't appreciate my company all that much, and my parents hated the idea that I "never outgrew playing with trains". That's one lucky family.)
I hear that!!!! There is a couple of things a like , Big Trucks , Comstruction Equipment , Tug Boats/ Ships & Trains !! The day I can 't drive , play with , watch or what ever you want to call it is the day they but me in the box!!!! I like to do these things with my Dad when he was alive !!! I haven't been doing to much with the layout , the weather isn't cooperating!!!!! Thumbsup
Today is the first time in a couple of weeks I got to work on the layout , 50 outside today !!! Anyway it is a Highway overpass at the end of he layout , to block the view for a switch for the mainline, NJT/NS to enter the layout from a staging table (future plans) . It is made out of take & bake pizza boxs , cardboard tubes & wooden coffee stirs , Still have to settle on paint for it & some more work to do on it , but you get the picture !!! Still a work in progress!!! :o Confusedhock: Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

I got tried of laying my control on the layout , so I made some holders out of a pizza box & some hot glue !!! :o Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)