A Questioning Thought for the Day
MountainMan Wrote:
sgtcarl1 Wrote:The earth and/or stars are HOW old??? By the measuring system many of us use, the earth is only about 7500 years old. Can science disprove that?

Easily. Carbon dating alone provides dates going back hundred of millions of years, and the rate of decay of Carbon 14 is solid fact.

When one has used independent geochronometers as I have, based upon three distinct physical properties, and all give the same ages for the same thing within their instrumentation errors, to determine something is 200,000 years old, it is hard to discount the numbers. And when that object lies atop of another object, one knows the underlying object must be older (you can't put something on top of something else unless the something else is there first Cheers And then if you use the same relative philosophies, it is easy to see that the earth myst be billions of years old, in accordance with other direct dating methods that place the oldest rocks on earth to over 4 billion years.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
If I could read this thread at the speed of light.....would I be just as confused because the second mouse got the early worm, and the bird burnt out years before because I couldn't see it in the night sky?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
35 35 35 35 OH Man!!!! I forgot that!!

Since Light is ALWAYS constant,.. they measure the stars speed and direction of travel by their spectrograph signature or Doppler Shift ... The more "Blue, the faster the speed... The more Red - the slower - or the objects are moving away from each other

btw - Doppler "Effect" is sound... as in a train whistle sounding Higher pitched before the grade.. and lower pitched when it has passed you sitting at the grade....
How's THAT for train related?? Goldth
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
My questioning thought for the day:

Why are we wasting forum space on this? Icon_lol
It's Dwights fault. 357
TrainNut Wrote:It's Dwights fault. 357

YEAH!!!! Anything goes wrong... Blame The New Guy!!!!! Shoot

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Mileswestern Wrote:My questioning thought for the day:

Why are we wasting forum space on this? Icon_lol

Because football season is over, and we havent gotten off our butts yet Icon_lol
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
You can never acheive this speed, but I think, yes, near the speed of light, the headlights would work. I think, no, the headlight beam, by definition, would not travel faster than the speed of light; for you, time would slow by just the right amount to keep the light leaving your location at velocity c. So if you actually did achieve light-speed, your time would stop completely, and you would then become immortal. This is what happens to the pizza man. You have to realize that those who can understand such really live on a slightly different plane. The rest of us must just believe. (because it works)

Cheers Shoot
Cid
Just to add my 2 bits' worth....We are talking a "thought" experiment here....Thought experiments played an important part in the development of the Special & General theories of Relativity, precisely because they could not be demonstrated by normal means. And the answer is yes....The lights would work, because RELATIVE to their source, the light is traveling at its "normal" speed. To a stationary observer on the ground (if one could be "on the ground"), the particles (photons) of light would indeed seem to be traveling at twice the SOL, but in order to be able to observe the event, the observer would need to "keep-up" with the event, that is, he would have to travel at the SOL, so the "doubling" effect would be nullified. In short, the speed of light is ALWAYS the same, irrespective of whether the source is moving, or stationary.
For those who would like to delve into this a little further, I suggest you read "The Evolution of Physics" by A. Einstein & Leopold Infeld. A good "layman's" explanation of what this is all about.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
I think we are going to wake up one day and find that there are other races out there who have already found the practical solutions to our current problems, and we will find ourselves in the same position as the Pacific Islander Cargo Cultists during WWII.

After all, who ever thought that it was possible to run trains at speeds of up to 300 miles per hour, that don't run on rails but on magnetic force fields?

We know where we are on the technology curve of our own Earth, but we have no idea what the corresponding technology curve of our galaxy or universe is.
The answer is...(if the lights don't work- and even if they do)

Lay on the horn. that'll let 'em know you're coming.

Now if this was a NetFlix ad the answer is - Cranberries.

Next?
I have a question.

If you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?

:?
tetters Wrote:I have a question.

Straying a little far afield on this one, aren't we? 357
MountainMan Wrote:
tetters Wrote:I have a question.

Straying a little far afield on this one, aren't we? 357

Watch. Then you'll see the relevance. Sorta... Big Grin
http://cubs.fandome.com/video/26578/SNL-...rry-Caray/
http://cubs.fandome.com/video/26579/Will...a-hot-dog/
Ok, this WAS the question for the DAY... that day is now over. New questions for new days...

so, the NEW question is the hotdog Question.
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]