Athearn RTR GP35 with new motor
To BNSF its a GP39V since its on the cab..

Now if its was called a GP39V phase 2 A then the phase 2A would be a railfan's description and not BNSF since railroads and builders do not use any phases in their locomotives description even though there may have been changes in the basic design between production runs..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:To BNSF its a GP39V since its on the cab..

Now if its was called a GP39V phase 2 A then the phase 2A would be a railfan's description and not BNSF since railroads and builders do not use any phases in their locomotives description even though there may have been changes in the basic design between production runs..

That was exactly the reason for asking my questions as railfans have been doing it since Moby Dick was a minnow. LOL
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
That was exactly the reason for asking my questions as railfans have been doing it since Moby Dick was a minnow.
------------------------------------------------------
Was Moby Dick a Phase 1A with a 36" dorsal fin or Phase 1B with 48" dorsal fin? 35
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I got your points about paint schemes and engine models named by rail fans vs. formal names by RR companies and builders. Anyhow, language has been invented for communication reasons and the terms "BNSF H1 paint scheme" and "ATSF GP35u" both serve their sole purpose within a specific community e.g. Big Blue members. Like "flu" and "get a cold" works fine for the general public while a physician uses different terms for the same fact.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I got your points about paint schemes and engine models named by rail fans vs. formal names by RR companies and builders. Anyhow, language has been invented for communication reasons and the terms "BNSF H1 paint scheme" and "ATSF GP35u" both serve their sole purpose within a specific community e.g. Big Blue members. Like "flu" and "get a cold" works fine for the general public while a physician uses different terms for the same fact.

The unneeded jargon was started after NS and UP painted some locomotives in the colors of their predecessor roads and now everything is a heritage paint including fallen flag freight cars such is a railfan myth at best.

The older BNSF schemes are early attempts on creating a standard locomotive paint scheme and therefore not a heritage scheme-BNSF is still BNSF regardless of the scheme now if they painted and lettered some locomotives in GN,AT&SF,SP&S and other BNSF predecessor roads then those are "heritage" locomotive schemes..Same applies to YN2 and YN3 for CSX paint schemes-I even heard those called "heritage" schemes. Wallbang

The phase lingo started in Don Dover's Extra 2200 South magazine back in the 60s as a means of telling locomotives apart and that too has muddled the water since today many young railfans and modelers think that's the real model type instead of a railfan description of locomotive production changes either by the manufacturer or by the request of the railroad..Then there's the railroad shop changes made during a overhaul.

It would be far better if we emulated real railroad speak? Be a lot less confusing.

I wonder how many knows what a "bare table" is in railfan speak?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:...

Some time ago it toke me three days to find out what it is! Two days later a guy from UK posted a question what it is and knew my english not that bad Big Grin At about the same time I learned that a well car is not a car that runs well :o
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:

Some time ago it toke me three days to find out what it is! Two days later a guy from UK posted a question what it is and knew my english not that bad Big Grin At about the same time I learned that a well car is not a car that runs well :o

It took me about a week to find out what a "bare table" was. :o

I was slow to catch on to what a "rolling stones" was besides a rock band or magazine.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

faraway Wrote:

We used "baretable" in my BNSF conductor days so it's not just a railfan term.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler