Retire Where???
Where do you live now?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
We have snakes in Brooklyn two, they just walk around on two legs. At least they can be shot legally. Shoot
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:Where do you live now?

Oooppps, missed this. :oops: We used to live on the edge of the desert in the small cowboy town of Wickenburg. We now live... on the edge of the desert Eek in a larger town named Surprise, about 35 miles south of Wickenburg. Too many people here now to have to worry about the desert wildlife. The rabbits have all but gone, coyotes still live at the golf courses and stray sometimes, and about all we see now is quail pecking around the yard and a lizard now and then. No snakes, no Gila Monsters, no scorpions and no pack rats though. Thumbsup One mile east and we're in the big city, one mile south and we're in farmland and one mile north or west and we're back in the desert worrying about all those mean desert creatures again... Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My wife has family in Mesa (about a quarter mile from Roy's Train World) It's hard to believe that coyotes go toward human populations.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:My wife has family in Mesa (about a quarter mile from Roy's Train World) It's hard to believe that coyotes go toward human populations.

In Wickenburg, we had a lot of coyotes, some would come close to the house looking for food. We had a neighbor that put food out for them, which is downright foolish. Where we are now, we think they have dens in the golf courses or in the edge of the desert which isn't that far away, and they come into the populated areas looking for food. I think that's one reason we don't have rabbits in our yards anymore. I guess when you're hungry, you go were you have to.

Sumpter250 has a daughter that lives somewhere in the Mesa-Chandler area, that's a good 50 miles from where we are.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
FiatFan Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:more rattlesnakes than cars on the road
This is why you won't find me as a permanent resident of the south or west. I have a pathological fear of snakes of any kind.

While traveling in Texas we pulled into a rest area. Among the signs was "Watch out for snakes." I'm pretty sure they weren't talking about garter snakes. Then you enter the rest room and all around the base are 6" openings, perfect little snake doggie doors. Have you ever tried taking care of business while your head is spinning like the girl in "The Exorcist"?

Don't rule out the East either..You can find timber rattlesnakes and Northern copperheads here in Ohio..Where I live we have a 2-3 ' rattlesnake called a massasauga and 30 miles to the East you can find the timber rattlers and copperheads..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Coyotes have occasionally been seen near our Northern Twin Cities suburb in a local park.
ezdays Wrote:Why we had more rattlesnakes than cars on the road, just ask Sumpter250, he can vouch for that....

I still think that wasn't a wild snake, but was a member of Congress.... Too greedy for "personal gain" to take into account the pane of glass between his teeth, and my hand. His end was appropriate, "chopped, tossed, and eaten by a scavenger bird" Icon_twisted Icon_twisted
My apologies for sounding a bit bitter, I just got done reading about Congress wanting to cut military retirement benefits.
1961-1983, I "earned" mine.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!