Freelance 2014-2
Secondhand clothing and furniture, a Salvation Army place, cheap boarding houses for local workers, a Chinese laundry, and some greasy spoons. Also, a union local headquarters where daily hires hang out. Thumbsup
My weekend task is started. Another Downtown Deco building will reside on the yard of the east end.
[Image: IMG_3780_zps530061aa.jpg]
It will also close a gap in the brick canyon.
[Image: IMG_3778_zps53575218.jpg]

Some hours later. The basics went pretty well this evening.
[Image: IMG_3782_zpsc9e61501.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3781_zps3dfd7a7e.jpg]
Reinhard
The new building closes a gap at the north side of the east brick canyon
[Image: IMG_3788_zps1e4a32ff.jpg]
There is some mess in the yard while the glue is still wet. The fire escape got protected because it is to low mounted for trucks but the people use that safety area as a junk yard
[Image: IMG_3787_zps5ba47d99.jpg]
The 0-5-0 engineer looks at the roof too
[Image: IMG_3786_zps1ea921d3.jpg]
and he gets gets an overview how it fits into the building ensemble
[Image: IMG_3785_zpsc7e5c1e5.jpg]

That completes the restructuring of the East End

East End from the track side
[Image: IMG_3791_zpsb46b6767.jpg]
East End from the street side
[Image: IMG_3792_zpsb81c2aa0.jpg]

ps. There is a West End too ...... 357
Reinhard
You sure do make it look so easy. Thanks for sharing

Steve
Modleing the Jefferson Branch in HO  on the Southern Pacific
The street level pic's are awesome.

8-)
Andy Kramer - modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin
The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.milwaukeemodelers.net">www.milwaukeemodelers.net</a><!-- w -->
Magic, Reinhard - total magic!
Reinhard, how does that yellow cab box truck get out of its yard?
Or has it been fenced in to live out its last days as an unofficial extra storage facility avoiding the need for building and planning permits?

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:Reinhard, how does that yellow cab box truck get out of its yard? .....
That truck has been born as a little Match Box car behind the fence and grow up faster than expected. .... Wink
It will be replaced with the attachment http://www.downtowndeco.com/site/wp-cont...=325&iar=1 of the building I did yesterday. That attachment consists of three walls only. That is perfect for a background structure.

A short time later...

The right front is the intended front. The left one is a nice side wall with two windows and the other plain side wall has been cut into two 2/3" strips to form two new side walls. The wooden fence is a perfect match for an abounded building.
[Image: IMG_3793_zpsc6effbc9.jpg]
The building will be the "DUB" (Down Under Building) to honore Mr. Fixit 357

Some time later are the basics done.
[Image: IMG_3794_zps79c050fe.jpg]
Reinhard
Building complete.

I got lazy yesterday afternoon and postponed the remaining three walls of the Downtown Deco kit. Thanks Mr Fixit for the kind kick in the a... to close that gap now.
[Image: IMG_3796_zps35f07968.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3795_zps00abd047.jpg]
Reinhard
Those buildings are terrific! I also admire the details like the yellow safety columns to protect the fire escape, and the great looking fence in the last pictures. Thumbsup
Ralph Wrote:Those buildings are terrific! I also admire the details like the yellow safety columns to protect the fire escape, and the great looking fence in the last pictures. Thumbsup

I agree. The buildings look great with lots of character but the details lift the scene very well.
UK Engineering fan, from the tiny artistically engineered to the huge and powerful
Mr Fixit Wrote:Reinhard, how does that yellow cab box truck get out of its yard?
Or has it been fenced in to live out its last days as an unofficial extra storage facility avoiding the need for building and planning permits?

Mark

There is a gate behind it on it's left as you look at the image. Looks large enough to maneuver out of.
A nice old Proto 2000 lady from Rumford Maine arrived today. She got a new heart with a DCC decoder. LEDs will be the next to be done together with her sister from Ocala FL currently resting at my local customs office.
Getting eBay stuff from the US becomes troublesome in the pre xmas season. Shipping and custom resources are highly utilized causing long delays.

[Image: IMG_3799_zps12efcfef.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3800_zps4dff68f1.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard, you're going to become THE reference in painting realistic brick walls. Very inspiring!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
sailormatlac Wrote:Reinhard, you're going to become THE reference in painting realistic brick walls. Very inspiring!

Matt
Thanks for the kind words but it is not really me. Let me explain.

You may have witnessed how I tried to get well aged and weathered brick walls in a lot of variations on my styrene structures over the last years. None of those attempts was really satisfying. The best I could achieve were some decent walls.
I saw a lot of Downtown Deco samples on photos. Mostly their advertising stuff in FB. It was very obvious that the plain white walls you buy are very different from what they show you. Anyhow I gave it a try and followed the instructions quite carefully.

1. semi seal the plaster with 2-3 layers dull white primer from the rattle can
2. apply paint as thin as coffee with a wide brush.

The model explodes visually when you apply the very first stroke of "coffee" brown to the white plaster. Thousands of details pop up. The entire wall becomes extremem 3-dimensional. Each brick and each joint comes to live. It is really like magic when you compare it to all the good and bad techniques you try on styrene walls.
White plaster walls and highly diluted paint do miracles.

Left is unpainted, center is my last used paint and right is real coffee from the kitchen. You can "play" with ten or more layers due to the high diluted paint. You can add some other colors to get another tone. I control the intensity of the color by the number of layers but not by less dilution. The paint will never distribute absolute even. The wall will always get some shades and lighter areas. In general become grooves darker and little hills stay lighter.
[Image: IMG_3803_zps52c05edd.jpg]

I have four more kits waiting to be assembled Big Grin

ps. No, I am not on the payroll of DTD
Reinhard