Freelance 2014-2
Catt Wrote:Is there any way you could mount the control for the blinds on the layout front next to a layout control panel ?
I think a simple replacement of the switch in the wall with receiver and remote control offered by the same vendor is the easiest solution. I will give the local company a call that installed it nine years ago.
Reinhard
Making some progress with the dead end alley.
[Image: IMG_3818_zps7802f5fa.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3816_zpsb315f0a4.jpg]

Home office work is less than expected but there is no dual blind remote control receiver as a simple replacement of the switches. This is not the right time for some flush-mounting electric installation rework.
Reinhard
Reinhard-your layout is a work of art-very realistic looking.
I am especially impressed with your use of plaster buildings. Worship
They are fantastic and I really like the way you painted and weathered them.
Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see more.
Bob
"My railroad is a figment of my imagination"

BobS
I am undetermined how to proceed after the alley is comleted

1. As original planned with three more buildings direct at the front of the layout. The gap of the removable part is hidden under the tall building.
My concern: The imaginary road off the layout is not a natural extension. It look unnatural. One inch more space with a sidewalk attached to the alley would heal the problem but there is no inch. The buildings make switching even more complicated due to the view block.
[Image: IMG_3820_zps51ab84f9.jpg]

2. Only one building and it is only an extension to the left foreground alley building. The gap is again under the building hidden.
My concern: The building does not sit very well over the gap. It will always hoover over the ground and it can not be integrated into the ground because it must be removable.
[Image: IMG_3821_zps96658ede.jpg]

3. Maily open space. may be a parking lot, undeveloped area etc.
My concern: Might be boring until I get a great idea how to use the space. I am tempted to try some derelict land.
[Image: IMG_3822_zps791fc731.jpg]
Reinhard
Can you move the buildings in far enough to plant some grass and weeds at the outer edge.This could solve your problem with the teetering building and just maybe give them impression that the world does not end at the edge of the layout.

Another thought is no building to cover the area,maybe a weed and trash covered lot with a few pieces of junk scattered about.THis would allow you to move the building over to the left and give you room for sidewalks.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Deleted - double post
Reinhard = can you model a demolition site with the remaining foundation of a building , so that the remaining wall lies along the edge of the "crack" - another that may work is to have a cable/sewer pipe being laid in a trench. Someone has this on his layout with a workman swinging a pick in the bottom , with the clear perspex frontage giving a cut-away view. The site can be surrounded by a fence with a suitable sign saying "Acquired for apartments" or " Part One of the Mayors Urban Renewal Scheme" or similar
The little dead end alley is done so far except the fire escape needs some weathering when the CA glue has complete set.
I avoided red light district signs but used a TV/radio repair shop and a paint dealer and rented apartments.
[Image: IMG_3825_zpsb2297efd.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3824_zpscbefa475.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3823_zps4513a919.jpg]

@Catt and shortliner, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will keep the area mostly empty like derelict land, old parking lot, foundation walls etc. Street view has lots of examples in Detroit. I can not dig a trench (that is the area where the ground cover became hard like concrete) or move the buildings due to space restrictions. The track behind the lot is the limit.
@Catt, I am afraid your estimated completion date 15/12 is not that bad at all........... Wink
Reinhard
And the last two small structures in the center of the layout. The rear wall is the one facing the front of the layout. It needs to be integrated into the ground.
[Image: IMG_3826_zps7f24b8dd.jpg]
The front is usually not visible.
[Image: IMG_3837_zpse096f8da.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3836_zps190e313d.jpg]

I enjoyed the Hydrocal excursion with Downtown Deco model very much. Hydrocal casts opened new possibilities to structure walls I could not find with styrene.
That completes the plaster building session 2014.
Reinhard
The Coco club was great fun to build as my very first Downtown Deco kit. Anyhow it was not a perfect fit into my old warehouse district. This building was surplus from the last stage and fits better in the former Coco club slot.
[Image: IMG_3841_zps260f4374.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3844_zpsa38248c0.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard - came across this on another forum, and thought of you - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hoodtimesproject.com/?_escaped_fragment_=gallery/cobg#!gallery/cobg">http://www.hoodtimesproject.com/?_escap ... llery/cobg</a><!-- m -->

One or two of the pics are very blurred
shortliner Wrote:Reinhard - came across this on another forum, and thought of you - ....
Shortliner, those blocks look fantastic. I wish I had the space to do more none rail served buildings.
I noticed Chris Thomas is from Toronto. The text claims he modeled all the run down details of some blocks but did not explicitly state those blocks are from Toronto. My last visit to Canada is about 20 years ago and Toronto about 30 years. I am not sure what prototype he models.

The Sunday morning was used to complete the structure from yesterday.
[Image: IMG_3845_zps35bed879.jpg]
[Image: IMG_3846_zps2426b521.jpg]
and also to complete the building from last week.
[Image: IMG_3847_zps59918533.jpg]

ps. Is it time to start thinking about freelance 2015-1?
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:ps. Is it time to start thinking about freelance 2015-1?

17 days...
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
The Coke ad says "IN BOTTLES". Is the ad before or after cans?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:The Coke ad says "IN BOTTLES". Is the ad before or after cans?
The layout floats between 1970s - 1980s. I think in that time frame was Coke in glass bottles also in the US available. They are still in Germany but mostly in Restaurants etc.
Anyhow the sign can be heavy weathered to look like an outdated but never removed advertising if necessary. Should I do so?
Reinhard