How much can we justify spending?
Don asked "What would you all do if you had unlimited funds to spend on your railroad??????"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good question..At 66 I'm not sure what I would do..

Maybe put what I have in totes and buy a 2-8-0 and 30-36 transition era cars and redesign Slate Creek as a end terminal on Slate Creek Branch complete with small station and water tank..I would use a combine instead of a caboose..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Don, maybe this would be a help <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://billstrains.com/product.php?productid=16259&cat=443&page=1">http://billstrains.com/product.php?prod ... 443&page=1</a><!-- m -->
Charlie
ezdays Wrote:....What would you all do if you had unlimited funds to spend on your railroad??????

Probably nothing - I have pretty-well everything I need to finish what I set out to do, except, perhaps, the time.

Wayne
Assuming time is not an issue, I think I would find an old 1:1 Cotton Belt caboose, put it on some rails on the back forty and restore it into one bad-to-the-bone layout room....
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
scubadude Wrote:Assuming time is not an issue, I think I would find an old 1:1 Cotton Belt caboose, put it on some rails on the back forty and restore it into one bad-to-the-bone layout room....

You realize that you'd need quite a few acres just to run a simple oval. :o Then there's the Home Owner's Association to deal with. Icon_lol
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Real men don't do HOA's !!!! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
By the time I got enough projects finished to be able to use those unlimited resoures I would probably be dead. Eek
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
ezdays Wrote:What would you all do if you had unlimited funds to spend on your railroad??????

Nothing. I'm pretty lazy.
ezdays Wrote:What would you all do if you had unlimited funds to spend on your railroad??????

I wouldn't spend it on that mining shovel at the beganning of this thread.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Given unlimited funds I'd build a structure in my back yard dedicated to housing a new layout alone. I'd have the latest wireless walk around controls, sound in all locomotives, a functional signal system, and operating warning lights and gates at all major grade crossings. Anything left over I'd spend on food if I remembered to come out of the layout building. Smile My wife might have other thoughts but I haven't consulted her yet. Misngth
Ralph:Given unlimited funds I'd build a structure in my back yard dedicated to housing a new layout alone.
------------------------------------------------------
At 66 I'm not even sure I would do that even though I could have my dream around three walls ISL.

I been mulling over Don's question and I'm sure I would buy a steam locomotive maybe shop round for a good condition United Models Class B two truck Shay instead of a 2-8-0.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Have you ever wanted a new car when there was really nothing wrong with your old one? You suddenly hear strange noises, rattles, you think the engine is burning oil, the transmission is slipping, the tires are bald, the ball joints are bad, the steering is sloppy...You can always justify spending , it just takes practice. Goldth

and, when you get this new car, you hear all these noises and feel all these things in the new one when the first payment comes due. Icon_lol

Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Have you ever wanted a new car when there was really nothing wrong with your old one? You suddenly hear strange noises, rattles, you think the engine is burning oil, the transmission is slipping, the tires are bald, the ball joints are bad, the steering is sloppy...You can always justify spending , it just takes practice. Goldth

and, when you get this new car, you hear all these noises and feel all these things in the new one when the first payment comes due. Icon_lol

Charlie

Well, if I had unlimited funds to buy a new car, I don't think I'd worry about the next payment. Nope My criteria would be, once the new car smell has worn off, it's time to trade it in. 357
iea
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Eh, even airplanes don't necessarily need wings. The "fins" on the X24A only help the plane steer (I'm sure thrusters would do the same thing in space). The unique shape of the body actually creates lift, allowing it to fly. For a time, Lockheed Martin had a plan for a replacement space shuttle using this style of aircraft. It definitely has advantages in terms of internal volume.

Then, of course, is the plane that doesn't need a body and is all wings:

The YB49 is one of my all time favorite airplanes (I've always been a fan of the flying wing ever since a B2 buzzed my house as a 7 year old. I thought it was a space ship!). I actually have a reproduction of the flight manual for that plane. Its surprisingly funny. For the chapter on taxiing, it has an illustration with the caption "Turn the airplane slowly". The picture depicts a YB49 being turned way to quickly to watch a woman walk by. There is a shocking amount of that for a flight manual.

Interestingly, Boeing combined both the flying wing and the Lifting Body into a "Blended Wing Body" plane. They have a miniature mock-up that's making flights, but I'd love to see it become a full sized reality. In theory, it would have a greater internal volume than most aircraft, while being a more efficient design.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-090-DFRC.html">http://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/n ... -DFRC.html</a><!-- m -->
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
ezdays Wrote:It's a lot more expensive than it was even 10 or 20 years ago. There's DCC and sound, great if you can afford it, then the cost of everything else has skyrocketed. Would you have ever been presented with the chance to spend over $500 for an engine or $6,000 for one model back then, no matter how finely detailed?... That's what has changed. Sad

You're not kidding. ten years ago, I switch to HO at the age of 14 because it was cheaper. I actually have a 2004 Walthers catalog, and I was looking at the prices. compared to today and a few years ago, and the prices have grown so high for what appears to be such a minor improvement to what we get.

The first thing I'd do is buy every book even vaguely relevant to what I model. I would also use the money to help me dig deeper into research projects, and maybe even pay veteran railroaders to explain/guide my modeling.

Next, I would have models that don't exist be custom made (hopefully this will benefit others who can tag onto my order for neat trains like the GM10B).

Next, I would plan a colossal "Philadelphia to New York" layout, which would not only include the northeast corridor and various PRR electrified lines, but the parallel Reading Company lines, and some patches of LV and EL tracks where they pass those lines.

Since I have unlimited funds, I will pay people to help me achieve this before I'm dead. Not that I won't want to work on it, but at least I can skip the tedious parts.

But you know, thats probably not 100% practical.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]