I need advice on built up Model Power structures (N scale)
Hi,

I noticed that Model Power produces assembled / built up kits. I'm somewhat interested in them, but I don't want the base included. Will it be easy to pry off the base? Or would it be best for me to just get a Model Power kit and assemble it myself without the base? Smile
http://www.balcos.net
Michael Balcos
Hell-bent model railroader in the Philippines Smile
With careful attention to weathering and repainting a Model Power built-up or kit can be made passable. The problem with them is most are not true scale, some even have doors and windows closer to HO then N. Personally I wouldn't use them.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks for the advice, Tyson. Smile I guess you saved me trouble and money. What manufacturer of N scale structure kits would you recommend? I plan to do a small 1950's era layout. Also, kits that don't require painting would be nice, but not necessary.
http://www.balcos.net
Michael Balcos
Hell-bent model railroader in the Philippines Smile
Most kits need painting even those with molded in colors. If you don't paint those at least spray them (after first removing the window glazing) with dull-cote to kill the plastic shine. DPM (sold by Woodland Scenics), LASERkit by AMB (American Model Builders) and Atlas are some brands that are reasonably priced pretty much true to scale and fairly easy to assemble. Woodland Scenics also sells the DPM as built ups. They are very nice but much higher in price because of being already built. Walthers Cornerstone series kits are good as well. Ones I would stay away from are Bachman, Heljan, Life-Like and Model Power. Companies like Kibri and Vollmer make decent stuff but its European ( I noticed you are in the Philippines so don't know what area you are modeling) and most of it won't work for North American layouts. There are many more companies out there but those are the ones I'm most familiar with. Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string