Poll: Where would you like to hold our day trip for Big Blue members?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Jim Thorpe, Pa.
35.71%
5 35.71%
Steamtown, Scranton, Pa.
50.00%
7 50.00%
Strasburg, Pa.
14.29%
2 14.29%
Other (please specify in a separate post in this thread)
0%
0 0%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Day trip for Gauge members
Starting to acculilate Cel Numbers Smile Smile

I also updated the list from Jim Thorpe to Scranton - with new milage too Smile
Attendee List with mileage to Scranton, PA:

e-paw --------------------- Saylorsburg PA ---------------- 50 miles
tomustang ---------------- Lehigh Valley, Pa -------------- 63 miles
N Gauger ----------------- South East PA ------------------ 129 miles
jefelectric ---------------- Central PA ---------------------- 137 miles
jglfan --------------------- Boonton new Jersey ----------- 139 miles
Green_Elite_Cab --------- Hainesport, NJ --------------- 152 miles
DoctorWayne ------------- Canada------------------------- 285 miles from home, but we're going to Schenley Pa.
Cn nutbar ----------------- Canada ------------------------ first, which puts us about a 540 mile drive away Misngth Misngth
Dan85 --------------------- Buffalo, NY -------------------- 258 miles
sgtcarl1 ------------------- Appalachian Mts SW Va. ------ 527 miles
w8jy ----------------------- Au Gres, Michigan ----------- 624 miles
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Ok - Since we really have no idea whether the mall parking lot opens at 9:00

Take a look see here:
http://www.the-gauge.net/magazine/Meetingplace.jpg

We'll meet in the Steamtown parking Lot near the "Big Blue" dot.. Meet at the DOT!!!! Near T1 # 2121 That way we have a definitive set place.. Smile (thanks e-paw)

When we break for lunch, we'll all move our vehicles over the the Mall parking Lot Smile Smile

Now, Here's where I got the above pic from Smile
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/magazine/mall.pdf">http://www.the-gauge.net/magazine/mall.pdf</a><!-- m -->
(Right click and save link as)

It's a PDF file of Steamtown and the mall - 3 pages - so there's way too much info.. The mall opens at 10 am, so if we meet at 9 - the mall will be closed,
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
And in case you're still lost, here's the T-1:
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos015.jpg]

[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos013.jpg]

Wayne

[Image: DSC06528.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Got my reservations made for Friday night at the Hilton at 100 Adams Avenue - supposed to be within walking distance of Steamtown.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!
Jess

President and Janitor of the Arenac & Southern RR
I think i'll show up. no reason i can't.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Our list is growing Welcome, but I am sorry to say that I spoke with Toptrain who had to cancel, may be next time... As a quick correction I originally thought the T-1's # was 2121 35 the correct # is 2124. That should not be a problem because it's the only T-1 there. See you all there Saturday.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I'm still going, but SHOOT! this will be the greatest distance I've traveled on my own, and its not even somewhere I'm familiar with.

I'm using Google earth for directions, but i get nervous. I know Google Earth will often put me out of my way. For example, it would have me drive north on the New Jersey turnpike from Exit 5 to the PA turnpike extension, but that is going out of my way, and i suspect it costs more (paying toll for the turnpike, then the bridge, then the PA turnpike, unless I'm wrong). It would seem cheaper and maybe faster from my location to go up Route 541 and pass over the Burlington Bristol Bridge, for those familiar with the area, and get on the PA turnpike there.

on the other hand, if i just try to plot my own course, i could get stuck with roads that don't really go the way i want to go. It looks like its smooth sailing once i get on the Northeast Extension of the PA turnpike, but i'm curious if any of you guys have any suggestions when i start approaching Steam town.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Hey, just thought I'd stop by and wish all you guys the best. I'm sure it's going to be an exciting and fun day, I know it's always been for me when I have a chance to get together with fellow Gaugers. A real shame that it's so far for me, like about 2000 miles, otherwise I'd be there in a flash.

Everyone, have a great time and we're expecting a lot of pictures here...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I'm still going, but SHOOT! this will be the greatest distance I've traveled on my own, and its not even somewhere I'm familiar with.

I'm using Google earth for directions, but i get nervous. I know Google Earth will often put me out of my way. ...
Just a suggestion, but you might want to look at Yahoo maps. It will give you a direct route to where you're going and a turn-by-turn printout along with the map. What's nice is you can now drag the line on the map to change your route and it will recalculate the distance so you can test for different ways to get there.

Good luck... Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:Everyone, have a great time and we're expecting a lot of pictures here...

And if you all don't post a lot of pics to post when you get back....Don't come home unntil you do!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:but i'm curious if any of you guys have any suggestions when i start approaching Steam town.

From Philadelphia: Proceed north on I-476 (PA Turnpike, Northeast Extension) to exit 115. Take I-81 north to exit at 185, Follow the downtown map below.

[Image: 2008_steamtown_map_415_1.jpg]

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/directions.htm">http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/directions.htm</a><!-- m -->

From "Big Brother's" website Thumbsup

Since the last time I was there a few months ago...
you drive down, pass the long mall and keep going you'll see concrete barricades and the road swerves left, it'll bring you under a trestle and gate.

Here is a map I just made, as long as you get on lackawanna ave and head to cliff st your good to go.

[Image: steamtownmap.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

According to weather stations it's going to get stormy around noon up in scranton Eek
Tom

Model Conrail

Have fun guys! I haven't been posting in a while and I hadn't realized my name was on the list, unfortunately I don't think Steamtown is in the cards for me, but enjoy yourselves!

- Dan
The trip went well, thanks to all who came. Just a few picks of what we did today for those that could not make it...

Attached Files Image(s)

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew