Florida ISL - Ocala
Have you though about a little bit of Street Running Chris? This might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okA9gixW3jw

Jez
Hey Chris,

I didn't get a chance to put up this track plan Friday, but here it is.

Wow those are narrow shelves. I made the adjustments to the plan.I added a runaround track on the north shelf to make getting at Preswick Bakery and Highland Citrus easier.

I also added an extra track next to the cement plant on the east shelf to make it easier to switch covered hoppers in and out of the Blackheath Cement Plant. This track is the truncated rest of the old branch line. I would maybe put a small washed out bridge piling here to show why the branch is truncated.

I would consider making the recycling company one track. If it's a recycling company, you may want to consider adding box cars to the mix of traffic for recycled paper (short lines are always looking for extra traffic).

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
I accidentally put Chris Ellis' name on the expressway instead of Chris Gilbert. So, to properly honor Chris Gilbert, Here is the revised track plan.

[Image: 13897985064_9026a8521c_o.jpg]
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,That is a beautiful designed ISL..Everything seems to flow together and looks like it belongs. Thumbsup

That truncated line could be a off layout industry that has its own switcher.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Mike Kieran Wrote:I accidentally put Chris Ellis' name on the expressway instead of Chris Gilbert. So, to properly honor Chris Gilbert, Here is the revised track plan.

[Image: 13897985064_9026a8521c_o.jpg]

Hi Mike

A suggestion... Change the switch at the right hand end of the loop so it is a curved switch coming off the bend. This will take the "S" out for a train coming out of the loop and into the bend which could be a source of derailment.

Another suggestion.....swap the position of the points for the scrap yard and juice siding and put in a X-over. This will make the sidings a bit longer particularly the juice siding. Also the switch to the juice siding could be a left hand making the run into the siding less bendy again.

Colin
Colin,I like that little S curve..IMHO it adds character and flow to the layout and looks far better then stiff leg track work that is so common on most layouts.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Quote:Hi Mike

A suggestion... Change the switch at the right hand end of the loop so it is a curved switch coming off the bend. This will take the "S" out for a train coming out of the loop and into the bend which could be a source of derailment.

Another suggestion.....swap the position of the points for the scrap yard and juice siding and put in a X-over. This will make the sidings a bit longer particularly the juice siding. Also the switch to the juice siding could be a left hand making the run into the siding less bendy again.

Colin

I was going to try the cross-over after seeing Reinhard's (faraway) posting. As far as the S curve is concerned, I switched it around, but I'm with Larry (Brakie). I like a little S curve and I wanted a little distance between the turnouts, but it doesn't look bad and it allows more cars on the one part of the runaround siding. I don't know how much of an issue it would be for derailments since I would imagine that Chris would operate at slow speeds, but I am a fan of smoother operation. Thumbsup

Quote:That truncated line could be a off layout industry that has its own switcher.
Larry
Engineman
Slate Creek Rail.

Thanks for the compliment Larry. You know, one of those Bachmann 45 tonners parked there, especially a military one, would make things interesting.

Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike,Just my personal preference but,I would have kept the "S" curve since it was gentle enough not to cause any issues..

Of course I'm not afraid of using them since I have in the past and know how forgiving our cars and locomotives are.. Icon_lol

Yes,say a Air Force switcher picking up tank cars of aviation fuel would add interest to the operation and would add another type of freight car.Maybe a odd boxcar of supplies or a jet engine on a flat to break up the monopoly of tank cars.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

I really like this version Mike. One day when I have enough space I'm going to steal this haha but make it a "roundy-round"
Quote:I really like this version Mike. One day when I have enough space I'm going to steal this haha but make it a "roundy-round"

RScott

Go ahead, although the real creator of this layout is Chris Gilbert. Here's a roundy round version. I would actually use the bridge section as the drill lead.

Quote:Mike,Just my personal preference but,I would have kept the "S" curve since it was gentle enough not to cause any issues..

Of course I'm not afraid of using them since I have in the past and know how forgiving our cars and locomotives are.. Icon_lol

Yes,say a Air Force switcher picking up tank cars of aviation fuel would add interest to the operation and would add another type of freight car.Maybe a odd boxcar of supplies or a jet engine on a flat to break up the monopoly of tank cars.
Larry
Engineman
Slate Creek Rail.

I would actually make it a U.S. Army branch. Tank cars of fuel, box cars of ordinance & supplies, flat cars of vehicles, etc. Plus there's already a 45 tonner painted and lettered for the army.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

For someone who didn't want or need a round around, now we have a round around. Amazing. Its time for Chris to decide what he wants instead of someone telling him what he should have.
Larry
Larry,
He's already building what he wants. We're just playing around with ideas. I'm playing around with the plan, getting used to AnyRail software, and just doing some grunt work for Chris if he wants to change his mind. I've already PMed Chris multiple times and he was OK with my putting up variations. People here and on the other forum were throwing in suggestions and I was merely implementing them. The thread is merely a discussion on options that could be put in. I am excited to see Chris has started building a layout and where he's going with it.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Larry

I'm happy letting people play, like Mike said he has PM'd me a number of times to apologie for highjacking the thread

I just started it with an idea for a track plan

The world needs more track plans

I've put my shed layout on hold again for a few weeks, as I've be ask to bring a smaller layout the a show in June instead of North Haston.
Chris
England