Norfolk and Western Fleet - weathering tips needed.
Thought I'd post a photo of the fleet for my Norfolk and Western secondary line:

[Image: NWLocoRoster800.jpg]
All looking brand new!

What they need is weathering, but I've never had much success with weathering black, so I could use some tips. Please bare in mind I have no airbrush as I have no available location for spraying indoors.

I also added some updated layout photos to my thread here: http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7186

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Hi Kev,

I wonder if you might want to consider experimenting with artists chalks for weathering?

Here is an example of what I do..
[Image: IMG_1396.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0986.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0956.jpg]
Ralph
Kev, Ralph has made a good suggestion, I would try plain white chalk dust too if you aren't comfortable with rattle cans. You need to add some very light gray (rattle can primer)or flat white to "oxidize" the black. I have used flat white paint from the dollar general but that makes a permanent change that you may not like. I have laid the object with the surface to weather upright and sprayed the area about 18 inches above and let the spray fall on the surface. Once I got the desired results I used dull coat to keep it there as the paint is mostly dust when it reaches the surface. try painting a piece of something gloss black first to use to test this if you aren't comfortable working with the models first.
I think this is the look you want.    
Chralie
I was motivated to weather my shiny GP30. I used a combination of a light gray on most of the body, a rust color on the trucks and roof, and some black as well to dull down shiny black plastic.

Before
[Image: 001_zps773f8d77.jpg]

After
[Image: 002_zpsb95da435.jpg]

The great thing about chalks is they are a forgiving medium. Mistakes can be brushed or wiped off. Once you're happy with the results you can dullcoat it to seal.
Great results there Ralph, just enough to make her look right.
Charlie
Thanks Charlie.

I've had some success with your from-a-distance spray can approach on freight cars but haven't had the courage to try it with a loco. Your roster always looks good in pics and videos so you must have the technique down.

Kev, I meant to comment earlier about the nice fleet you have there! Thumbsup
Thanks guys.

Great work you've done there Ralph Thumbsup that's the kind of effect I'm looking for.

I have an old scrap loco body, think I'm going to have to spray it black and give it another try. The high rattle can spray is a technique I've not tried before Charlie .... hmmm .... time to practice with the chalks too.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
I'm a fan of chalks as well. I don't use white however is it can be too stark. I would suggest light and medium grays.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Hobby shops carry a complete line of weathering powders. You might consider giving those a try. 8-)
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, here is my latest attempt on a scrap loco shell I had available...

[Image: 1stWeatheredNWLoco800.jpg]

I'm happier with this than my previous attempts ... what do you think?

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Oooh, I do like that.

I'd maybe add a little light brown weathering powder over the top in a light brushing to show rust and frame dirt, but otherwise it's smashing! Smile