Building the Walthers N Coke Oven ~~ Start To Finsh
Here is part 2 of the series, the Walthers Cornerstone Series Coke Oven & Quencher Plant

Here is a pic of the Walthers Coke Oven from Walthers web site

[Image: 09330000003806.gif]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I assembled the "foundation" and the footprint of the layout of the Coke Oven & Quencher Plant

[Image: Step1.jpg]

Step 2
I painted the Lower Oven Walls a primer grey and then glued them in place

[Image: Step2.jpg]

Step 3
These one's are of the 2 Coal Bunker Supports. I sprayed them a rust color with the brick walls sprayed primer grey.

[Image: Step3.jpg]

[Image: Step3-1.jpg]

Step 4
Here is the Outer End Wall for the Lower Coal Bunker Section. It has some access doors. The Brick Wall was also sprayed Primer Grey with the Roll-up Door and Personel Door begin sprayed a lighter grey.

[Image: Step4.jpg]

Here is the Lower Coal Bunker Assembly. The Coal Bunker will sit ontop of the supports at the top

[Image: Step4-1.jpg]

Step 5
Glued the Lower Coal Bunker Assembly to the Foundation of the Ovens

[Image: Step5.jpg]

Glued the Oven Floor in place. This floor will be very weathered

[Image: Step5-1.jpg]
The Coke Oven Walls have been sprayed a rust color while the Brick Oven Walls were sprayed the grey primer color.

[Image: Step6.jpg]

Oven Top has been sprayed a tan color and glued in place ontop of the oven walls. The Oven Top will be weathered with bits of brown, black, orange, and red colors and the walls will be weathered the same way.

[Image: Step6-1.jpg]

Step 7
The rest of the Oven Top has been glued in place.

[Image: Step7.jpg]

Step 8
Here is the top portion of the Coal Bunker which has been sprayed the rust color. The black part is where it will be sprayed an aluminum color as it is aluminum siding.

[Image: Step8.jpg]

Aluminum Siding sprayed.

[Image: 964ccbd7.jpg]

Added the roofs to the Coal Bunker. The opening is for the conveyor that will come from the Crushing House.

[Image: Step8-2.jpg]

Step 9
Supports for the Stairwell that will come from ground leveel up to the Oven Top.

[Image: Step9.jpg]

Step 10
Here is the stairwell that goes from the ground up to the top of the ovens. This is the unpainted pic.

[Image: Step10.jpg]

Here is the painted Stairwell. I sprayed it a bright safety yellow which will be weathered to look used.

[Image: Step10-1.jpg]
Collector Pipe has been glued to the Ovens top and into the Governor House.

[Image: Step11.jpg]

Step 12
Oven Staircase glued in position

[Image: Step12.jpg]

Step 13
Governor House has been built and sprayed several diff colors including Rust color for the support structure, Silver for the aluminum sheeting walls, and grey for the door to the Governor House

[Image: Step13.jpg]

Governor House Rear. You can see the Collector Pipe going in the Governor House.

[Image: Step13-1.jpg]

Step 14
Governor House Staircase.

[Image: Step14.jpg]

Step 15
Smokestack. It has been sprayed grey and will be weathered with brown, black and rust chalks

[Image: Step15.jpg]
Lower Crusher House Walls. They have been sprayed an aluminum color. That is an access door were the hole is and on the other side is where the conveyor goes out from to go to the top of the Coal Bunker

[Image: Step16.jpg]

Step 17
Crusher House. Been sprayed Rust Primer and aluminum on the top just like the Coal Bunker

[Image: Step17.jpg]

Step 18
Added the side Roofs to the Crusher House

[Image: Step18.jpg]

Step 19
Added the Side Walls for the Conveyor to go in

[Image: Step19.jpg]

Step 20
Added the Roof ontop of the Crusher House

[Image: Step20.jpg]
Glued the Lower Crusher House walls to the Upper Crusher House Structure

[Image: Step21.jpg]

Step 22
Glued the Upper Coal Bunker structure to the supports above the Ovens Floor

[Image: Step22.jpg]

Step 23
Got the Smokestack all painted up and glued in position next to the Ovens

[Image: Step23.jpg]

Step 24
Here is the Conveyor that runs from the bottom of the Crusher House and up to the top of the Coal Bunker over the Ovens.

[Image: Step24.jpg]

Same conveyor but with the roof added

[Image: Step24-1.jpg]

Step 25
Here is what the set-up looks like when the Conveyor is added in

[Image: Step25.jpg]
This is the Conveyor that runs from the track at ground level up to the top of the Crusher House

[Image: Step26.jpg]

Step 27
Overall Views of the plant. The conveyors at this point in the pictures still have not been sprayed the aluminum color they will be but they are as of now.

Only one more step to go, Just have to build the Quencher Tower now and the Coke Oven will be a sucessful kitbuild. And then there is weathering to after that

[Image: Step27.jpg]

[Image: Step27-1.jpg]

Step 28
Here is the Quencher Tower

[Image: Step28.jpg]

Step 29
Added the grates inside

[Image: Step29.jpg]

And Added the pipeing on the inside and the outside connecting to the small shed

[Image: Step29-1.jpg]

Weathered pics coming up next
Okay so, here was the pictures i took after i had weathered the Coke Oven & Quencher. I took these on my old HO scale layout, so everything in the backround you see is HO scale lol

[Image: Step30.jpg]

[Image: Step30-1.jpg]

[Image: Step30-2.jpg]

[Image: Step30-3.jpg]

[Image: Step30-4.jpg]

[Image: Step30-5.jpg]

[Image: Step30-6.jpg]

[Image: Step30-7.jpg]

[Image: Step30-8.jpg]

[Image: Step30-9.jpg]

[Image: Step30-10.jpg]

[Image: Step30-11.jpg]

[Image: Step30-12.jpg]

[Image: Step30-13.jpg]

[Image: Step30-14.jpg]

[Image: Step30-15.jpg]

[Image: Step30-16.jpg]

[Image: Step30-17.jpg]
And there we have the Coke Oven & Quencher Plant from start to finish Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Nicely done Josh! That's a grat model and you took the pains to make it come out beautifully. Its gonna look great in your steel mill scene.
Ralph
Nice job Josh, keep in mind coke ovens are going to be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllly dirty. Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I agree...MORE DIRT!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Ralph Wrote:Nicely done Josh! That's a grat model and you took the pains to make it come out beautifully. Its gonna look great in your steel mill scene.
Ralph

Thanks Ralph Misngth But these are the N scale Steel Mill Buildings i did a while back, they wont be used on my HO steel mill for the future lol. I sure wish i still had these around tho Nope

wgrider Wrote:Nice job Josh, keep in mind coke ovens are going to be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllly dirty. Cheers

Thanks Lynn Misngth If i still had these, i would go back and make them even dirtier lol, but i dont have them anymore, this one sold for $250 on e-bay! Eek Misngth

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I agree...MORE DIRT!

LOL Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Nice , way to make a buck. Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada