NY&A ISL
Brakie Wrote:Changing eras or modeling a known location can be very rewarding and fun to do.

I will be looking forward in seeing those photos.. Big Grin

May I suggest a new topic under CSX's Northern Branch ?

I've always wanted to model this branch but never really knew anything about it south of Closter. These trains travel so slow me and my friends used to hitch a ride from Northvale to hangout with friends in Closter. I found this webpage a few years ago and it reignited my interest. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wislew.com/northernbranchphotosinfo.htm">http://www.wislew.com/northernbranchphotosinfo.htm</a><!-- m --> It has a lot of information on the branch and good photos. I was thinking of making a new topic all together to include both branches this way there isn't 2 topics for basically 1 layout.
That line in NJ looks very interesting. How do you plan to adopt your current layout?
Reinhard
The only problem now a days is there is only 1 customer left, supreme oil !!! they get tank cars once oe twice a week with a gp 40 or genset some times both !!!! I've seen them a bunch of times as i travel that way alot !!!!
faraway Wrote:That line in NJ looks very interesting. How do you plan to adopt your current layout?

With the exception of car capacity that supreme oil in Englewood has compared to Bass oil in Brooklyn, the sidings and type of buildings that the new industries will share with the ones on my NYA plan are pretty similar. here's a list starting with the NJ customers first and who's siding they will share on the NYA plan.
Supreme oil (2 car spots) and Bass oil (1 spot)
Cove Distribution (3 spots) and Norampac NYC (1 spot), Yang Shing Trading (1 spot), Amersino Marketing Group (1 spot)
JJ Demarest Lumber (1-2 spots) and NYA team track (1-2 spots)
Weyerhaeuser (1 spot) and David Rosen Bakery (1 spot)
This version of the Northern Branch will be super condensed taking 4 industries from 3 different towns and squeezing them into a smaller branch. I plan on changing scenery, slight changes to buildings, crossing signals and other details as I change operating locations.

kamerad47 Wrote:The only problem now a days is there is only 1 customer left, supreme oil !!! they get tank cars once oe twice a week with a gp 40 or genset some times both !!!! I've seen them a bunch of times as i travel that way alot !!!!
Kamerad I plan on the time period to be around 2005 so the customers I listed were still seeing somewhat regular delivery. There's 3 steady customers left now, Supreme oil, Colorite Polymers and WR Grace. I really would have liked to model Colorite, they have 3 sidings which include a switchback and a diamond crossing. 2 spots for tank cars, 4 for covered hoppers and another 3 that are used for covered hoppers and occasional boxcars (could be a small ISL by itself). Nowadays they really only need one engine for this branch because they don't travel north of Englewood, there's a runaround at supreme and at Colorite. And the last few times they went up to Northvale they used a caboose as a shoving platform instead of the frequently used double ended operation for the return trip towards North Bergen. I really just needed and excuse to run poorly maintained csx yn2 and csx engines still in conrail paint so I'm going to try to combine both branches as best I can, obviously won't be anything close to accurate but I can live with that.
These are the 3 engines I plan on using for the northern branch.
Gp40-2 #4427
[Image: imagejpg2_zpsfd358784.jpg]

Gp38-2 #2641
[Image: imagejpg1_zpscb2d2997.jpg]

B40-8 #5959
[Image: imagejpg3_zps03419c65.jpg]
Quote:
Kamerad I plan on the time period to be around 2005 so the customers I listed were still seeing somewhat regular delivery. There's 3 steady customers left now, Supreme oil, Colorite Polymers and WR Grace. I really would have liked to model Colorite, they have 3 sidings which include a switchback and a diamond crossing. 2 spots for tank cars, 4 for covered hoppers and another 3 that are used for covered hoppers and occasional boxcars (could be a small ISL by itself). Nowadays they really only need one engine for this branch because they don't travel north of Englewood, there's a runaround at supreme and at Colorite. .

I'd be interested in seeing a trackplan , even a rough sketch, of the Colorite setup, please
shortliner Wrote:I'd be interested in seeing a trackplan , even a rough sketch, of the Colorite setup, please

Here you go shortliner. If you want to look it up the address is 101 Railroad avenue Ridgefield NJ
[Image: track_zps8d183e2a.png]

[Image: sat_zps32cbd3f1.png]
Thanks for that - shows how much room you'd need if you set out to model the plant!
Yea you would need a good amount of layout real estate for this industry especially if you planned on including the switch back. Definitely would be a unique and fun customer to switch though.
I forgot about colorite Wallbang I watch them a couple of years ago switch there & they always have a problem there on the inside track lining up the couplers , it's on a curve for last spot for the car!!!