NY&A ISL
Ok so I thought I'd have some bench work built by now but between moving and work I've fallen behind a bit. Also sharing a laptop with my girlfriend cuts back on planning and researching, so today I decided to mock up the track and layout dimensions right on the floor. It looks very vague but gave me a really good idea of how things fit and what changes need to be made. Hopefully these pictures will give you an idea of the actual dimensions and the overall plan. Inside the thicker blue tape represents the footprint of the layout which is now 96"x18" and the thinner blue tape represents sidewalks and the street inside that area. I decided that the removable extension will get an extra 16" which will provide enough space for switching and the amount of cars able to be switched, also half of the extension that connects to the layout will also get scenery to help hide the end of the layout while the train is exiting the scene. Also I might swap the location of the food processor from siding #1 to siding #2 to be able to fit a corn syrup storage tank. Hopefully I can actually get something built soon.
[Image: imagejpg1_zps087f2ab5.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg2_zpsd7ce1925.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg3_zps75d60dfe.jpg]
Bench work started just need to pick up foam, the legs have wheels for easy maneuverability. I will be able to store the removable extension underneath across the leg braces. Slowly chipping away.
[Image: imagejpg1_zpse1193016.jpg]

I was messing around with the track plan and didn't think it made sense to keep siding number 4 a warehouse because I dont know how a building flat will look right at the edge of the layout. So in this plan sidings 1, 2, and 5 stay the same, number 4 is a team track and number 3 will be staging for the front loader at kings material to pull stone cars in the yard (passed the edge of the layout) and push them back when empty.
[Image: 73e9a2af-e923-4937-923a-aacc3756dc93_zpse4dc1e76.png]
The foam is glued down, I took some measurements and placed a few lengths of track down to get an idea of how it will all fit.
[Image: ISL1_zpsbc3179a1.jpg]
These 2 sidings are the food processor and paper products industries. The food processor will get a tank car of corn syrup and a boxcar of other ingredients then will get switched with a refrigerated boxcar for outbound packaged frozen food.
[Image: ISL2_zpsfc2c8222.jpg]
The siding with the 3 boxcars will be a warehouse and the siding with the covered hopper will be a team track, in between those will be the runaround track and a staging track for kings material stone hoppers.
[Image: ISL3_zps7e653340.jpg]
I need to pick up some turnouts and I should be on my way.
I painted the foam and the track work is done and nailed in place, I soldered a feeder connection just to see how everything runs I just need to cut the track so the removable extension can be removable. This is what I have.
[Image: 4_zps9b08fddd.jpg]
[Image: 2_zps9079b0b6.jpg]
[Image: 1_zpse56a66b2.jpg]
[Image: 3_zps539c71a8.jpg]
[Image: 5_zps15c79286.jpg]
Not a big update but I started mocking up some buildings while I wait for paint. I just found out that floquil paint was discontinued so it took some searching on the internet to finally find what I needed.
[Image: 9c4ca7d8-f49a-4447-8ffb-e12c2255f031_zps50d99b9f.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg2_zps116ab8f1.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg1_zps60b22507.jpg]
Nice to see progress! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Lookin' gooood !!

Looks modern enough, that I just have to ask the "dumb-question-of-the-month" Wink Wink

Is any part of this, an area where Hurricane Sandy " left her mark " ?
If so, are we going to see "remnants" of that damage modeled?

I do not recall anyone including something like that in any part of a layout ( including :oops: my own "Cindys Harbor Seaport Village and Museum" Wink Big Grin )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter I dont believe that area of Brooklyn was severely affected. Probably typical damage from any storm like trees or power lines down but I don't think anything worth including.
I got all my paint in the mail so I was browsing the internet just to double check what areas of the turnouts needed to be covered while the paint is sprayed on and I found a video of someone using Woodland Scenics paint pens to paint their track then eventually found a handful of how-to's and demonstrations of using paint pens. I already had a few Floquil paint pens so I gave it a try before getting the airbrush out. It's time consuming but I think it comes out much neater then spraying paint and you don't have to worry about over spray and fumes. I was able to work on manageable sections of track at a time and whatever paint got on top of the rail I was able to easily wipe away with a Q-tip without the paint drying up and using paint thinners, exacto knife, etc. Here's a few pictures comparing the non-painted rail to the painted.
[Image: track5_zpsa21fb724.jpg]
[Image: track4_zps0791aac6.jpg]
[Image: track3_zps5f2b07c6.jpg]
[Image: track2_zps1601bfd6.jpg]
[Image: track1_zps2818db1e.jpg]
I got a few things started on the layout, I finished weathering the track, I paved and painted the street and sidewalks just need to go back and weather them up, I got a majority of the ballasting done and started scratch building a warehouse but I don't think i'm going to keep it.

[Image: 20140805_155420_zpsf01f7ba9.jpg]
[Image: 20140805_155450_zps85d76dc0.jpg]
[Image: 20140805_155500_zps9aa966b8.jpg]
Above will be the food processor and I ordered the new walthers central beverage distributor kit for this customer.

[Image: 20140805_155517_zps6acfb085.jpg]
[Image: 20140805_155535_zps723ad5eb.jpg]
I didn't ballast the team track because i'm not sure if the whole track will be paved over or pave around the track and add a driveway right before the bulkhead flat for truck access. That's it for now but definitely have a lot to keep me busy.
It's really coming together awesome. Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Thanks Mike.
Looks great! I really like your bulkhead load of pipes. I need one of those Smile
Thanks
NSHO
NSHO Wrote:Looks great! I really like your bulkhead load of pipes. I need one of those Smile

Thank you, the pipes on the bulkhead are DUHA #11546.
I replaced the original warehouse with this one, I liked the idea of having an open loading dock to add workers and other details but I just didn't like how it came out and was a little too flimsy. Unfortunately I ran out of roof panels so I need to find similar style panels or buy another kit to complete it.
[Image: 20140806_155911_zpsbe6e5152.jpg]
[Image: 20140806_155945_zpsb7cdf82d.jpg]