NY&A ISL
Looks good!!!!! But to be honest I like the other building!!!! Thumbsup
kamerad47 Wrote:Looks good!!!!! But to be honest I like the other building!!!! Thumbsup
I agree, but who is going to tell him Icon_lol
Reinhard
Hmm, I think you guys might be right. This one is a little too boring. I'm going to try to put the other one back together but I might use brick sheets this time.
I got the central beverage distributor kit in the mail today and found out it can't really be kitbashed the way I wanted so I reworked the blue building and will be the food processor and ill put together the original warehouse.
[Image: imagejpg3_zps7ed62cba.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg1_zps94b579d0.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg2_zps54938e34.jpg]
I like it. Two building fronts in a row with an offset is one of my favorite arrangements of background buildings. It gives the impression of a huge building front without being boring due to the offset.
Reinhard
Not a whole lot to look at in this update but I did get a few things started and I've been doing some customer research and re-thinking my industries. I got started on Morgan Avenue, I used sand paper to wear down the solid black paint and added a few road side details. I rebuilt the warehouse I originally had but went with a brick look this time around. I used spackle/patching compound for the mortar by rubbing it in with my finger and wiping it from the face of the bricks.
[Image: 20140904_215531_zps7a006997.jpg]

[Image: 20140904_215433_zpsb195996a.jpg]
This warehouse will be home to 4 different customers (all of which are actual customers of NYA in a similar type building)
Norampac NYC - they receive paper and pulpboard used in the production of containerboard and cardboard boxes
Yang Shing Trading - receives and wholesales Asian food products
Mon Chong Loong Trading - receives and distributes products for NYC's Asian food market
Amersino Marketing Group - they receive reefer cars of produce (organic, exotic and citrus fruits).

I will be getting rid of the blue building that was going to be a food processor....
[Image: 20140904_215403_zps3d442df3.jpg]

and in its place will be Montebello Foods. They receive flour and tomato sauce.
[Image: Montebello_zps27ce60c1.png]

They have a brand new facility along the Bushwick Branch with a 2 car spot that they apparently have never used, however they will be making a comeback on my layout. Even though they don't see much...well I guess any rail service, I decided to go with this customer anyway to break up all the surrounding brick buildings. Also with the addition of Norampac there is no longer a need to have another paper products manufacturer on the layout. The curved building/siding that I originally had for that industry will now become David Rosen Bakery Supply (who is actually located in that building in Bushwick Terminal), they receive flour, sugar and starch. Hopefully I can get the wheels in motion now that I have an actual idea of my industries and car loads.
I mocked up 2 buildings, a non rail served building and Montebello Food. Montebello looks a little plain but the 2 tone beige and the painted square pattern will jazz it up. I fixed up the sidewalks because I had drawn the cracks and expansion joints with a thin sharpie but you could tell it was drawn on. I went back and scribed the cracks and joints with an xacto knife and repainted it, I think it was worth going back and fixing it. I also worked on a lumber load for my bulkhead flat. It's a grand central gems load which was quiet a puzzle to get to fit. I think I'll carefully remove it and glue them together in the exact same spots their in this way it will be removeable and be able to haul pipe and rebar.
[Image: imagejpg1_zps0375f5e8.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg2_zps3b7cef47.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg3_zpsd0638592.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg4_zps29aa0262.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg5_zpsed0d65eb.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg6_zps13543fc5.jpg]
[Image: imagejpg7_zps2b56b6b8.jpg]
Looks Good!!! But , 99% of the street lights are mounted on power poles nobody makes them???
I'm not really sure if you're asking a question or the range in which the statistic of street lights mounted on utility poles references, but I guess NYC is the 1%.
This is a street view of Morgan Avenue which is the street on my layout.
[Image: light_zpsa1f01ed3.png]

Anyway, I got another mock up of a building and modified one I posted yesterday. I shortened the warehouse portion of this non rail served structure because it was too close to the Montebello Food building and too close in height. Making it shorter makes them seem further apart and not so smushed together.
[Image: 20140910_161701_zpse39dc855.jpg]

I started on another building which is going to be as close as I can make it to this building...
[Image: ma_zpsc594f829.png]
and my version of it...
[Image: 20140910_161732_zpse0a74765.jpg]

this building will also be attached to a rail served industry, David Rosen Bakery Supplies.
[Image: 20140910_161802_zps1f523e02.jpg]

and here's a couple overview pictures
[Image: 20140910_161928_zpsce867856.jpg]
[Image: 20140910_161832_zpsa0b81424.jpg]
I Like Thumbsup Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks
NSHO
Thank you NSHO, I'm happy to hear that.
This just keeps getting better! I find myself checking every day to see your latest updates! Has even inspired me to get off my duff and work on my own layout, since I've been in a slump lately.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Cheers
One of my new favorite ISL's.

Cheers
Jacques
You're right I forgot it was NYC most utilities are underground !!! Wallbang 35 Were I'm from all the lights are on power poles !! ? for anyone are their Co's in ho scale that make lights on telephone poles???
Thank you Ed and Jacques, your kind comments are appreciated.

kamerad47 Wrote:are their Co's in ho scale that make lights on telephone poles???
This could be a start
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-4134">https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-4134</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-4159">https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-4159</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-4135">https://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-4135</a><!-- m -->

Now that I look at these I think I like them better for the team track lot.