2 X 4 Everett & Monte Cristo RR(ish) build
Hello all. I have been a rail fan for the last fourty years or so, but have never built a layout. This is my first attempt... I know nothing. So... if you see me screwing up, feel free to TELL ME!

My layout fictionally depicts a tiny portion of the Everett & Monte Cristo RR as it passes through Granite Falls Washington. After the E&MC failed, the line was used for many years as a logging line. Switchbacks and steep grades were commonplace in the Cascade Mountains.

(From the Granite Falls website)

Railroad Day’s Bio:
(I have been to this celebration...)
Railroad Days celebrates the era of steam trains that puffed through town beginning in 1892 when the Everett and Monte Cristo Railroad reached the town. By the next year the tracks reached to the mountain gold mining town of Monte Cristo. Gold mining lasted only a decade but logging trains were a familiar sight for many more years, along with passenger trains that brought tourists from Seattle and Everett to the famous Big Four Inn resort in the shadow of Big Four Mountain.

OK, here we go...

Track plan: Two separate lines, a short line that brings logs from the Big Four Mountain to the sawmill in Granite Falls and a mainline hauling lumber to points beyond. Tightest mainline radius - 9.5, Logging - 7.4.
Attachment 3

Showing the mountain: Mainline runs through the mountain via a tunnel and the logging line starts its climb in the orange tunnel then emerges into the switchbacks.
attachment 2

Benchwork: 2" Pink foam. I passed everything through the table saw and came up with the back of the mountain interlocking into the base. The mountain sides are glued on to provide a general idea of elevation. The 7" X 38" cutout in the back provides access to the tunnels and a small staging area.
attachment 1

That's it so far...
Thanks for a place to post this and ignore the packing tape lol, it is just holding the show together until the glue dries.

Ted

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Ted, Cheers I can't see the pix, maybe it's just me? There's a thread somewhere on here about postin' pix Welcome

Well, now I can see 'em. Wallbang I guess I wasn't logged in, but that don't usuerlly block photos!
Cid
Hi Cid. Lemme look n see...
Ted, what is the grade on your inclines? Smile

I'm just askin' because it seems quite steep, but maybe you got it all doped out OK.
Cid
So far lol... max at 5.5%.

I tested my Atlas 0-4-0 with tender and two cast skeleton cars up to 10% and it pulled it. Not wanting to burn anything up I cut 'er back as far as I could and still make it work.

Ted
OK! Icon_lol It is a logging line, after all! Sounds good, and looking forward to seein' it progress!
Cid
Thanks, Cid. Me too....

Ted
Overall I like it. One thing that concerns me is you have so many switchbacks and trackage for the logging part you may not have enough room to do the scenery justice.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks, Mike. Ya know, I thought about getting the scenery right all night last night... It's funny you brought it up lol. I played around a bit this morning and think I can shift the switchback area forward to get a rail to rail separation of three inches for more trees and granite faces... Basically, tighten up the tunnel loop to a 6 inch radius. What do you think?

Ted
Hi, still can not see the pics Eek

did you upload the pics or are they a link to another site?

I think that the only time we can see them is maybe when you are logged in as well.

You might want to check with Mikey(Ngauger) or Don(Ez Days) I am sure they can figure out what is going on , I had problems posting pics wayback when I first joined this forum.
AF350 Wrote:Hi, still can not see the pics Eek

I think that the only time we can see them is maybe when you are logged in as well.

You might want to check with Mikey(Ngauger) or Don(Ez Days) I am sure they can figure out what is going on , I had problems posting pics wayback when I first joined this forum.

I just pulled the pics and added them attachments... did it work? I have had my tablet logged in all day...
Ted I built a 2x4 with 5.75 inch radius but really had to fine tune the rolling stock to handle it. The only loco that ran reliably on it was a Proto SW9.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Whew, that's tight Mike. My tightest is radius 6.65 on the branch and 9.75 on the mainline. I am running an Atlas 0-4-0 up the hill and... not sure on the main yet. Something like an 0-6-0 maybe. I need a shay for the hill... and a winning lottery ticket.

Ted
TrippiN Wrote:
AF350 Wrote:Hi, still can not see the pics Eek

I just pulled the pics and added them attachments... did it work? I have had my tablet logged in all day...

YES 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ strange that some of us could and some could not see them before anyway it seems to be fixed Icon_lol
Now that I can see the pics,

Neat track plan. Is it N or N narrow gauge? Either way looks entertaining(operations) I myself am still in the loop running phase(O-36 curves ATLAS O and Gargraves O gauge track) Still in the planning stage for an S gauge layout the O and S gauge layouts will be display layouts like the stores used to have and will be surrounded by a loop of On30. At some point I will make a portable On30 modular setup to experiment with switching and operations.