Steamtrains 2009 Resolution Challenge
Well folks...after much thinking it over, I finally came up with a solution to a problem that had been nagging me....Some of you may remember a thread I posted at the ol' forum dealing with the problem, and asking for tips, on how to place a spur off a track that's on a grade. Well...the ol' light bulb came on a few weeks back, and I opted to run a line off the main yard (Santa Rosa) to the area destined for the original spur. Less problematic, and I like the idea of the short run from the yard to the new area..in pusher mode..!! This new area will "house" a wire manufacturing plant (gotta use the copper that'll be coming out of the smelter at Las Cruces....) and whatever other support facilities it may require (a power plant comes to mind...). I, of course, have yet to build the plant... Wallbang

So, I took my saws, drills and sundry tools and got to work....Unfortunately, I was a bit into the project before I thought to take pictures.... 35

What follows are pics of the started project and how it's coming along...

Here's a look at the lead that got extended to the new site....

[Image: DSCF1762.jpg]

It's the second track to the left of the coal tower...It curves around the back of where the roundhouse & engine service area will be (next on the list....) and ends up here...

[Image: DSCF1763.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1765.jpg]

As you can see, this is the first time I've laid track on foam (part of the "brainstorm"...)

I next built up the terrain between the new area and the track on the grade behind it...

[Image: DSCF1767.jpg]

and carried it to join the unfinished rockwork at the base of the bridge....

[Image: DSCF1771.jpg]

BTW...You can see the new control panel I put in at the base of the rock work, and one of the two transistorized throttles I built to create my own "Loconet".... Goldth

Once all this was done, it was time to get plastered Misngth ....But that will be coming up in the next installment of this build....
Gus (LC&P).
Update......I haven't been sitting on my hands all this time.... Nope It's just that I'm a little slow getting my act together....

Here goes....Time to get plastered....

I started by bridging the "gully" between the track on the grade and the mainline at the back, next to the wall. I used a couple of large pieces of corrugated cardboard for this....
[Image: DSCF1775.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1777.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1779.jpg]

Then I covered it with plaster cloth...
[Image: DSCF1780.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1781.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1783.jpg]

Followed by a couple of coats of plaster with some foam "rocks" embedded in the plaster and covered with same. I painted all the tracks in this area (used my spray gun for this....went fairly quickly...) and began putting on the first of many coats of "wash" (very diluted paint).
[Image: DSCF1804.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1805.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1806.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1807.jpg]

And this is where it stands today....
[Image: DSCF1916.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1917.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1918.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1920.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1924.jpg]

And this little gem will house the wire factory....
[Image: DSCF1921.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1922.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1862.jpg]
[Image: DSCF1866.jpg]

Well..d,d,d,dat's all folks....!!

I still have to work on the "industrial" area, but have not decided what other structure will provide support to the main plant. Once I find it, I'll go ahead and finish this area off, and move on to the engine house (scratchbuilt roundhouse) area, and a bit of the yard at Santa Rosa.
Gus (LC&P).
Gus, You do such neat work that is is a pleasure to view your progress photos! Worship
Ralph
It looks like I've found a suitable structure for the power plant, so hopefully I can get to finishing this area. It's going to take some creative kitbashing to do, but I think I can do it....We'll see...
Gus (LC&P).
The scratch is coming along,,,,I think I should finish it towards the end of the week....But before placing anything in the new area....I just realized I have to do some ballasting..... Nope I measured the amount of track that need to be done.....About 30 feet..!!! Aaarrgghhh....There goes the back.... :evil:
Gus (LC&P).
Gus, you did an absolutely beautiful job!!! Man that really looks cool!! Job well done so far Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Worship Worship
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Ralph, Josh...Thanks for your comments....I really appreciate them... Thumbsup

Here's a pic of what I hope will be the roundhouse that will be my next project to tackle....It's a structure that served the SF in Lometa, TX. Let me know what you all think. As I said, it'll be scratchbuilt....

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
Gus.....That is just Awesome work! You have got that scenery down to a science Worship . I like the way you "bridged" the area between the higher and lower tracks....seamless!

I also like your proto roundhouse pic...that should look great on the layout. I look forward to watching that scratch-building project! Popcornbeer
Steve
Hi Gus,

Great work i do like the scenery especially your colouring of it & cant wait to see some locos/stock on the rails Big Grin keep up the good work Thumbsup
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Steve, UPnick...You guys are too generous..... Goldth I think it looks better in the pics than it does "live"...

Update....the bashing got done....Here's a couple of pics of the resulting "power plant"....

Next I gotta tackle the ballasting..... Wallbang

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
The plant looks great after a bashing Gus Thumbsup ........ :o i'm ballasting as well here know how you feel Icon_lol
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]