Somebody else's's layout
I don't believe that Mindheim is the subject of this post. I merely mentioned it because Lance brought this up in his blog in 2013. So what if its a model of model. Who cares. There are several versions of the LAJ floating around as there are Tehachapi Pass layouts. Mike's work is good and not overly done. Maybe this is a take off on Joseph Kreiss's "Big Island Railroad" based on a Hawaiian theme or possibly Mike lives in Florida. I find it refreshing that people are modeling different locales rather than the normal west coast or Midwest city scenes that seem to be what MR Magazine lean towards.

Layouts by George Sellios and Rod Steward are nice, but its easy to get caught up in too much detail where the trains are secondary to the detail of the structures and the action that is happening around them.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/boomertrail/cm_extra_bigisland.php">http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/boomertrail ... island.php</a><!-- m -->
The only thing I'll say here is that questioning Lance Mindheim -- and I didn't brimg him up -- has gotten several people touchy, including bringing several moderators to un-moderatorlike behavior. If someone were to say "I don't agree with John Armstrong when he says. . ." nobody would verge on the nasty. But disagree with Lance and it's a different question. Cult? Just sayin'.
I find it refreshing that people are modeling different locales rather than the normal west coast or Midwest city scenes that seem to be what MR Magazine lean towards.
-------------------------------------------------------
Absolutely! Again the beauty of a ISL is the modeler is dealing with a rail served industrial area of a city and the best part is that can be located in any city USA since modern shoe box designed industrial buildings looks the same.We also need to learn urban scenery from broken skids to trashed filled roll offs.Even our selection of vehicles is important.

The modeled industry may need to use 53 or 60 foot boxcars or may receive acid tank cars.We find this out by doing basic research..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
jwb Wrote:The only thing I'll say here is that questioning Lance Mindheim -- and I didn't brimg him up -- has gotten several people touchy, including bringing several moderators to un-moderatorlike behavior. If someone were to say "I don't agree with John Armstrong when he says. . ." nobody would verge on the nasty. But disagree with Lance and it's a different question. Cult? Just sayin'.

I believe we went through this before in another topic..
There is no need to jump in and bash Mr.Mindheim at every opportunity because you don't agree with his philosophies concerning designing and operation of ISLs.

This topic is about Mike's great looking ISL.

Could we please keep on topic and leave the bashing out?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
ISL's, Huge Basement Empires, Dioramas - - - - - to each, there own. Thumbsup

One of my favorite model builders to emulate was Jack Work. It was through "emulating" his craft, as presented in Model Railroading, that I developed my own skills.
ISL's, Oval ( or circlular ) layouts, Huge basement empires, all have their place, and all attract their own followers.
What works for one ( however famous He or She may become ) does not necessarily work for all. The variations, and combinations are almost infinite !
It all comes down to what YOU, each ONE of you, are most interested in. There is no "right way" or "Wrong way", only the way that "YOU" feel most comfortable with.
I chose Modular, because I moved regularly as a result of serving in the U.S. Navy for 21 years. The "layout" HAD to be PORTABLE.
I stayed with Modular, because I already had so much of it, and when I found one of the local modular groups, discovered the joys of "Playing With My Toys in Public View".
The other "benefit" of modular, is creativity. The "area" I model is strongly influenced by the North East U.S. Coast, and is not a "real" location. REAL LOCATIONS, require "sticking to" photos, maps, drawings of the "prototype", and modeling them as "Carbon Copies", or, at least, "reasonable facsimiles".
REPRESENTATIVE LOCATIONS, allow far more "artistic creativity", and dare I mention, Imagination.
I prefer to exercise my imagination, but try to keep it within the confines of "reality" - - - - - - with the exception of my Sci-Fi models - - and even with those, there are "rules", set by "Established Possibilities", that I try to follow.
Icon_twisted I don't build "Rocket Ships".........There are no "Gas Stations" in Space ........ yet.
If you are building a fictitious "Home Road", Your rolling stock should meet current "Spec's and Regulations" for your time period, but can be "designed by your railroad". These can be combined with stock of other "real" railroads, just try to keep those, as close as possible to what they really looked like.
If you have " variances from reality " ? Try to have a "story to stick to", to explain the "differences".
There's more than "Trains and Track" to this hobby. It is the usual starting point, and from there, imagination takes over...... Let It ! Wink That's where the "FUN" is.
Don't be a "Rivet Counter", but Do "let there be rivets", they are part of the details, and should be included where possible, as correctly as you want to include them.
Finally, Regardless of What, Where, When, Why, or How..........It's a Hobby, pursue it , and enjoy it, in your own, individual, ways. The EXPERTS are worth a little investigation, into the validity of their "comments of discrepancy", and could be the source of valuable knowledge. The final decision, to accept that criticism, as a learning experience, or, reject it, is an individual choice.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Icon_twisted I don't build "Rocket Ships"........There are no "Gas Stations" in Space ........ yet.

:oops: OK I do build launch-able, powered, model rockets, but That is another Hobby alltogether Icon_twisted 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!