Branch line/ISL
Engfanuk Wrote:
Rscott417 Wrote:If you're going to have car spots on the middle track (C and D) try using a three way switch, it'll help with the clearance also.
sorry to drop in the question but may I ask about the clearance issue? I'm not quite clear what the problem was and how to avoid it. As I'm doing my own planning and follow this thread for inspiration I thought I might learn something by asking:-) hope you and OP don't mind!

Thanks,

Steve.

If all the spots at the brewery were occupied by cars and a train arrived with cars to be switched in and out, there was a potential of not being able to temporary leave cars while switching. In the second brewery example above, there's 5 empty spots for cars to be stored while switching. This will probably be plenty, but the 3 way switch is pretty cool Big Grin The 3 way switch will allow for 2 more spots for off spot or temp holding. There's better terminology for what I just said, but I don't know it. I'm going to use the exisitng switches I have and run a few scenarios to see what, if any, problems I encounter.
Thanks
NSHO
In the first plan that NSHO posted on this page about the brewery he has 2 boxcars on spots A and B, using the ruler at the bottom of the diagram I saw they're about 14 inches long. Now if you look at the the tank car on spot C in roughly lines up with the edge of the building at the bottom of the plan. If you start from the edge of that building and go left 14 inches, 2 boxcars will end up right on the switch making switching either very close or not possible. NSHO then extended the siding for the tank cars towards the right which definitely helped but adding a 3 way switch will extend both siding towards the left that could make a difference of cars just barely passing each other to giving it a few more scale feet of clearance. Adding a 3 way switch added about 7-8 inches and about 3 inches extending the siding to the right.
Thanks NSHO and Rscott417. I get that now. I appreciate the time to explain:-)
UK Engineering fan, from the tiny artistically engineered to the huge and powerful
Brakie Wrote:As far as boxcars..If you notice I use 'em on my ISL because boxcars is still widely used-both NS and CSX handles more boxcars per week then intermodal..

See: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadpm.org/Performance%20Reports/NS.aspx">http://www.railroadpm.org/Performance%20Reports/NS.aspx</a><!-- m -->

Great link for reference Thumbsup

NSHO Wrote:The switch list generator was found on the internet. It's a spreadsheet file that uses a database of your cars and randomly builds trains for set out and tells you what to pull. I truly wish I could remember where I found this. Want to give credit where credit is due. Please, if anyone recognizes this program and knows the author, post. You can determine maximum length of trains, max munber of turns the cars are out before pull and % of dummies or place holders in train. The car inventory columns can be customized. The database shown below came with the program. I have not yet entered my car information. I believe the original file was an .xls I have since converted to .ods (open office). It does contain macros, but I've been playing with it for months now and haven't encountered a problem. If anyone wants a copy PM me and I'll email it to you (if that's appropriate).

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Have a good weekend!

Still using the same switchlist generator? Do you have the same cars on the layout all of the time or does it take into account if cars have been removed?
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Catt Wrote:NSHO,I was going to suggest that you scenic the area and just call it the end of double track or passing siding and run the tracks to the wall but put a full width highway overpass butted against that wall to hide the ends of the track.
Catt, that's still being considered. The reason I put an overpass place holder and view block at the narrowing of bench is to make it appear like the train dis/appears from the world. But a person is going to have to be sitting in just the right spot for that magic to happen.
Thanks
NSHO
I've been looking at three way switches. I'm only seeing two readily available and most common. The Peco 99 and Walthers/Shinohara 108. I'm leaning towards the Peco due to the size. The Peco seems to be about 3 inches shorter and a slightly tighter radius. Am I mistaken by saying the Peco 99 is similar to the Atlas #4 radius? The Shinohara 108 is a nice looking switch but eats up a lot of valuable real estate. And this appears to be similar to Atlas #6. I reference Atlas, because that's way my switches are.

Granted the Peco is roughly $10 higher at retail locations, I've seen some decent pricing on ebay. Now a question on Peco 99. Since I don't use Peco, I'm unfamiliar with their terminology. Electro vs Insul... My track is currently powered with DCC. But I switch between a DC power pack depending on what engines I run. All switches are manual. Are these details necessary in choice between SLE99 and SL99? I want plug and play.
Thanks
NSHO
NSHO Wrote:.... The Peco seems to be about 3 inches shorter and a slightly tighter radius. Am I mistaken by saying the Peco 99 is similar to the Atlas #4 radius? .....
You are right. The Peco looks similar to an Atlas #4.
[Image: IMG_2923_zps803d4833.jpg]
This Atlas #6 replaced the Peco 3-way on my layout for the price of one stub track......
[Image: IMG_2925_zps1d3b2f57.jpg]
The Peco 3-way switch makes some funny and irritating noise when trains roll over them but it is only an irritating noise. I had never any derails. It operates rock solid.

You should try the longer Walthers if you can afford the space. I looks much better.
Reinhard
Railnet Wrote:Still using the same switchlist generator? Do you have the same cars on the layout all of the time or does it take into account if cars have been removed?
I am and really like it. You input all the freight cars into it's database, set priorities and layovers. You also input max train length, number of dummies, set outs and pick ups. Once all the parameters are set (and easily changed) you create a new train. The program builds a train and continually does so at the click of a button, keeping track of what's out and when it was out. It will keep freight cars off the layout for a determined amount of time before putting back into service. It's quite genius. Perfect...no...but pretty darn close for it's simplicity. It works well for small switching layouts where cars go to one destination and then removed.

The program is in Open Office format .ods I have both Excel and Open Office. Excel didn't convert it too well. Someone with more knowledge of Excel may be able to. Make sure you make a back up and read the instructions. Do not alter any cells other than what it tells you. You will also have to enable macros for it to work.

So, here's the link to the author's website <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sheridanonline.me.uk/">http://www.sheridanonline.me.uk/</a><!-- m --> click - Model Railroading - and then at the bottom click - Switchlist Generator - then click the link to download.

If this linkage is inappropriate per forum rules, I'm sorry in advance. Mods can remove and I will send via PM.
Thanks
NSHO
faraway Wrote:This Atlas #6 replaced the Peco 3-way on my layout for the price of one stub track......
[Image: IMG_2925_zps1d3b2f57.jpg]

I like the look of the pulled up spur. Not something you see modeled very often Thumbsup

NSHO Wrote:
Railnet Wrote:Still using the same switchlist generator? Do you have the same cars on the layout all of the time or does it take into account if cars have been removed?
I am and really like it. You input all the freight cars into it's database, set priorities and layovers. You also input max train length, number of dummies, set outs and pick ups. Once all the parameters are set (and easily changed) you create a new train. The program builds a train and continually does so at the click of a button, keeping track of what's out and when it was out. It will keep freight cars off the layout for a determined amount of time before putting back into service. It's quite genius. Perfect...no...but pretty darn close for it's simplicity. It works well for small switching layouts where cars go to one destination and then removed.

The program is in Open Office format .ods I have both Excel and Open Office. Excel didn't convert it too well. Someone with more knowledge of Excel may be able to. Make sure you make a back up and read the instructions. Do not alter any cells other than what it tells you. You will also have to enable macros for it to work.

So, here's the link to the author's website <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sheridanonline.me.uk/">http://www.sheridanonline.me.uk/</a><!-- m --> click - Model Railroading - and then at the bottom click - Switchlist Generator - then click the link to download.

If this linkage is inappropriate per forum rules, I'm sorry in advance. Mods can remove and I will send via PM.

Thanks for the link Cheers I'll put it to good use when the time comes.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Faraway:
Peco uses Electrofrog for a turnout with all-rail frogs where the contact is continuous. Insulfrog refers to plastic frogs with the rail ends in them. Electrofrog is the traditional 2-rail system (before 1960), while Insulfrog is more like snap-track.
Insulfrog is a bit more forgiving of wiring shortcuts, while Electrofrog needs insulated rail joiners.

Electrofrog users sometimes find that there are shorts at points when wheels are not properly to standard. (Has also happened with old Shinhara). This can be overcome by isolating the frog and powering it through a switch or one of the frog-juicer electronic modules.
Insulfrog users sometimes find shorts when wheels connect two rails in the frog if they are powered from the far end.

Edit: forgot to say, I've never had an Electrofrog 3-way, so I don't know how it would work without the extra wiring.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Faraway: Peco uses Electrofrog for a turnout .....
Yes, I fully agree. I had never any problems of that kind with the Peco 3-way switch. All frogs are powered and it operates very reliable.
Reinhard
Seems like all but faraway have been in a slump lately. I still ponder my little HO world daily, get frustrated and move on. But here recently, I've come up with yet another revision. This one involves the start of the run and bringing cars onto the layout. I'm very content with the industries and the way they are laid out and operate. So here is revision, I think 14.

Cars will enter via interchange. Hopefully, if the yard upstream did their job correctly, the cars will be in order and ready to be switched. If not, or a delivery of goods needs to be delayed, a small amount of switching can be done in this yard. Cars can be held here short term until delivery or transported back to main yard. I've laid all the track for this current layout and will operate over the next several days.
Thanks
NSHO
You are living my dream layout. Wow! Great plan!!! Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
That is a great plan.Just one though about the interchange track. I would prefer to have it at the very front of the layout for easy access when adding and removing cars.
Reinhard