Branch line/ISL
[quote="NSHO"][quote="lajry"] "I don't see how the engine run around beside the ladder can be utilized. What purpose would it serve?"

The runaround track in the middle of your yard makes those two tracks only good for doing runarounds. And you're losing the two LONGEST tracks for car storage. The runaround next to the ladder lets you use all those tracks for yard purposes. Maybe you don't have many cars now, but if you're like most of us you will get more!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Andy,Looking at the spots at the industries I don't think he needs to "Wabash" his yard with cars since most cars in the yard would be empties or overflow car awaiting room at the industry/industries..The inbound cars would be dropped off and then switched in industry order and delivered by the local crew the same day.

Such a small yard would hold a minimum of cars unlike a major yard that has terminal dwell time of several hours which could be as high as 40 hours.

Also I found it best to rotate cars on and off a ISL because using the same cars over and over becomes boring and routine-"oh gee whiz there's that dented Railgon again going to Everman's scrap metals". Its best to remove that gon from the layout for several days and replace it with(say) a NS gon and when loaded return to storage box and remove another or better no cars for Everman today..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I love the plan. I would only make 2 minor tweaks to the plan. I would move the turnout for the interchange track so that it rests by the turnout for the yard ladder (I wouldn't worry about an "s" curve since you will be operating at slow speed in this area) and I would move the turnout for the tail track on the turnaround at the right to the left for about a foot so that you have enough space for the locomotive to slow down & stop as well as elbow room.

Otherwise, great layout. Thumbsup
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Don't know what it means to "Wabash" a yard but from your comments it sounds like could have alot of cars moving on/off the layout. To avoid having to handling them alot would highly recommend using a staging track. And it would be better in the front of the layout vs being in the backside.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
OOps! I chopped off the last part of my message.

Andy's runaround idea where it parallels the yard ladder is a nice touch too.The ladder track design used here is perfect for seeing other cars on multiple tracks. the runaround option that Andy speaks of gives you access to the train while you are building it rather than reaching over and knocking/Godzilla-ing the other cars in the yard.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Brakie Wrote:The inbound cars would be dropped off and then switched in industry order and delivered by the local crew the same day.
I agree Larry, that's how I will operate the small yard. Cars will be left at the interchange. Local will pull the cars off the interchange and move into yard and sorted according to delivery schedule. Empties will be removed from the yard and placed on interchange for pick up 0-5-0.

Mike Kieran Wrote:I would only make 2 minor tweaks to the plan. I would move the turnout for the interchange track so that it rests by the turnout for the yard ladder (I wouldn't worry about an "s" curve since you will be operating at slow speed in this area) and I would move the turnout for the tail track on the turnaround at the right to the left for about a foot so that you have enough space for the locomotive to slow down & stop as well as elbow room.
See revision below...I moved the inter/staging turnout to the left. I don't see where this creates an 'S' curve. Are you thinking the inter/staging ought to come from left to right (where the 2 boxcars are)?

The tail track accomodates an SD40-2, I'd like to give it some more room, but would sacrifice the run around space.

lajry Wrote:To avoid having to handling them alot would highly recommend using a staging track. And it would be better in the front of the layout vs being in the backside.
This was the original plan, looking back at the first post, but then I started getting complicated by adding more to the yard Smile The altitude of the layout is rough 42" off the ground. The reach over is easy enough and I'll cheat with a rerailer on this track either left or right Smile

Mike Kieran Wrote:Andy's runaround idea where it parallels the yard ladder is a nice touch too.The ladder track design used here is perfect for seeing other cars on multiple tracks. the runaround option that Andy speaks of gives you access to the train while you are building it rather than reaching over and knocking/Godzilla-ing the other cars in the yard.
I've added this feature to the layout and still struggle to see the benefit of it. Why can't the engines use the ladder to come and go. Why would the cars ever be stuck out on the ladder and block?

It was also suggested I move the entrance to the left side industry. The intent was different than outcome. I can't get a decent radius that would allow an industry building to squeeze in between the two tracks. This has been done and may become a permanent fixture.

Latest revision

Thanks
NSHO
The track that you added next to the yard ladder (the track on the left) would be a good place to build your train because you're building your train in front of you. coupling and uncoupling is just simpler than reaching across several tracks.

An option for the industry on the left is to move the industry to the left of the mainline or to make the industry an open aisle industry (lumber yard, salvage company, etc.) that could support a curved spur without loading/unloading being affected. I would even consider adding the spur to the left of the main line in addition to the spur currently there. This can lead to a crowded industrial park theme though.

I just like to make the tail track at least 15 inches long to give a little breathing room, just so the momentum can carry the engine without worrying about it running past it's mark.

Please keep in mind that these are suggestions that you can ponder. Your track plan is just as fine as is. My only suggestion is to do mock ups to see if there are any hidden obstacles. taping together pizza boxes is good in a pinch. It's the pizza consumption that is labor intensive.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

New revision..I'm trying to gradually incorporate most of the advice, sorry it's got to be done in so many posts. Here I've brought the inter/staging track to the front (original plan), put the run around/engine escape at the top and gave a small amount of room for engine storage. Eliminated some turnouts and an industry.

Thanks
NSHO
How about making the siding/spur on the left side board (currently with ???? beside it) into your interchange siding, hiding the end behind some trees so it can (apparently) join the rest of the world? Then you would actually have to go and pick up/drop off your interchange traffic. You also have lots of room in the left hand corners top and bottom for industries - you can run trains into them from the left end curved track and from the top and bottom main boards (a GERN plant would fit into either of those areas!) A scrap metal dealer/ tire recycler/tank farmcement plant would /could occupy the other corner. The original interchange track , the top one that you have turned into a loop, could revert to a spur, and have a BIG warehouse as a scenic flat along the wall, or the one at the front could become a team track/trans-loading area giving you a load of offloading/traffic out possibilities - just a couple more alternative suggestions for you to think about Icon_lol
Even if you take away the interchange and use the yard to store the interchanged cars, then you could even make the shelf that the yard sits on narrower. I actually liked your original yard plan, but all of your drawings are food for thought, whether for your own layout or to inspire someone else. I was looking at the pictures in the beginning of the thread. Man, your eye for structures is amazing. I really can't wait to see what you decide on.

Another thought to consider is to make the yard handle a two shift operation so that an AM and a PM switch job are handled (two different operating sessions). That way, if you run out of time during an operating session, a second crew takes over.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Oops, I forgot that you're putting the work bench under the yard. Never mind! 35
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

My latest version for weekend ponder.

In an attempt to keep this simple and focus on switching industries, I've dumbed down the yard and this will become the staging. I will build the trains by hand (with some small amount of switching). The trains will be built according to the switch list generator I'm using, see below, cars set out and pull per list. The train will return to yard/staging and cars removed by me.

The switch list generator was found on the internet. It's a spreadsheet file that uses a database of your cars and randomly builds trains for set out and tells you what to pull. I truly wish I could remember where I found this. Want to give credit where credit is due. Please, if anyone recognizes this program and knows the author, post. You can determine maximum length of trains, max munber of turns the cars are out before pull and % of dummies or place holders in train. The car inventory columns can be customized. The database shown below came with the program. I have not yet entered my car information. I believe the original file was an .xls I have since converted to .ods (open office). It does contain macros, but I've been playing with it for months now and haven't encountered a problem. If anyone wants a copy PM me and I'll email it to you (if that's appropriate).

Have a good weekend!
Thanks
NSHO
I drew this up very quickly so forgive the sloppy lines. What if you moved your main line from your yard to your industries a little further from the wall (closer to the edge of the layout) by just a couple inches and made your industry track in the top left your interchange but curve it behind a backdrop (I made the dotted line just because i couldnt make a straight line). Your interchange railroad would pull into the yard via the first track, leave the cars there, head up the parallel track and leave with a cut of cars from the yard. A switcher would sort the cars in the yard that were left by the interchange. I added the 2 tracks to the bottom of the yard for an engine house so that when trains use that runaround they're not using the engine house lead.
[Image: 720fa342-67bc-4888-ac88-cf6c74594b0f_zps41711417.jpg]
I hope i'm not sounding too confusing, but just another idea.
Playing the devil's advocate :o I will ask this: Why walbash the layout with more track when industrial scenery could be added like a trailer drop lot,non-rail served industries,streets etc?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I don't know what walbash means but it's not anymore track than the original plan had and there was no talk of trailer drops or non rail served buildings at all through out this entire thread. Once again I'm adding my input to what this member has been discussing and aiming for in his track plans. Anytime someone starts a discussion you bring up irrelevancy, I don't know what this guy wants why don't ask him instead of bring up random points in what's supposed to be helpful ideas.