Time for a new railroad!
for the last several years, I've been playing with the layout pictured below, which IMHO is the best 30" x 54" layout in N-Scale ever! Icon_lol
[Image: OR4AhWI.gif]

my scenicking was terrible, but the game it made was fun.

Givens and Druthers

(Railroad Name) - to be determined
Scale: N scale
Gauge: (Std, Narrow): std

Prototype: (the railroad you want to model): Fantasy. semi-modern with heritage steam. freight and passenger (eg: just about anything)

Era:
Region:
Railroad:

Space: 36x80 door

Describe Space e.g. basement. Provide diagram showing Overhead clearances and any obstructions or limitations.

Governing Rolling Stock: (Biggest planned): some amtrak passengers. Might eventually try a Tomix shinkansen

Relative Emphasis: (move the V)

|______________V________________________________|
Track/Operation .................................................. ..Scenic realism

I want to try better scenicking this time

|_________________________V______________________|
Mainline Running .................................................. ........ Switching

I want the option to do both, possibly simultaneously

Operation Priorities: (rearrange as required)

wanted: long, aesthetically interesting mainline run. as long as possible while leaving room for a small yard and challenging, but not frustrating, switching. Mountain scenery

Switching at the yard and at the industries should be able to be run without disturbing a train running on the mainline

No storage tracks planned, I'm not averse to use of the 0-5-0 switcher :mrgreen:

Typical operating Crew: __1____

Eye Level (Owner) : N/a
The door will be placed on a table and operated from a standard office chair, with occasional standing. with overall operating height somewhere between 36 and 40 inches.
Turnouts and coupling will be all manual (toothpick based decoupling). I do not plan to add DCC, but to operate the old fashioned way with a couple of power packs. one for the mainline run, one for yard and switching.

I'd like the option to link with my old layout, but I don't know that I'll have space for both. so that is optional and the old layout shouldn't be a consideration in the plans for this one

Add to this any features required or intolerable (e.g. duckunders, multiple levels).
Would like some tunnel/mountain scenery. A two level double folded dogbone mainline would be best. 2% grade max. prefer 11" curve minimum radius if possible on mainline. 9-3/4 is acceptable in switching area
switching area able to operate separately, but linked to the main line
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Welcome to Big Blue ScrewySqrl and I hope that you enjoy your time with us all here.

I had a brief look at your track plan and I would like to recommend that you search out the articles on GERN as I think that some of your industries could be suitable shippers/receivers of the all purpose product that makes everything that it is made from automatically 3% better. It will even make your hobby time 3% more productive, better and more enjoyable.

Seeing the ACME plant makes me think that one of your receivers should be named Wile E Coyote Industries and as we all know from our Bugs Bunny days, a major user of their products. ACME are also major users of GERN in nearly all their products especially the explosives as it makes the explosion 3% bigger.
Perhaps if Wile E Coyote Industries also began using GERN they would have 3% more ideas and 3% more success in catching the Road Runner.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
thanks. That's my OLD plan though. Note that I am looking to make a new door-sized layout.
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Sprinkle a little GERN on your "Old Plan", and it would become 3% bigger......... POOF !!! Door Size Wink
:oops: You would have to restrict the width so that all the enlarging happens in the "length dimension". Just think of all the fun if the ACME Factory was 3% bigger Icon_twisted Wink 357 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
here's a first draft:

[Image: N8SngxA.png]

minimum radius is 11" except a few 9-3/4 in the switching area. should be good for passenger and steam setups

I don't like the switching area, not enough sidings to hold interest. I want something that a bit of a challenge to switch, without being a tymesaver -- suggestions/mods welcome

Yard is also a storage area (idea was to hold a passenger and 2 freights in the yard, although only one train at a time can run the actual mainline

the 2% grade will be its own scene block, dividing the mainline, switching area, and yard

the bend in the yard lead is to make room for the power pack.

-- Henry David Thoreau
I was tempted to call it a very crowded track plan but your explanation defines it as intentionally designed this way. You have a challenge to build a scenery/landscape to integrate all the tracks in a prototypical manner. I am exited to watch your layout developing.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I was tempted to call it a very crowded track plan but your explanation defines it as intentionally designed this way. You have a challenge to build a scenery/landscape to integrate all the tracks in a prototypical manner. I am exited to watch your layout developing.

well, it is a first draft. please offer suggestions for improvement!

-- Henry David Thoreau
here is my second draft:

[Image: WOKz6Nu.png]

I like the switching a lot better with 5 sidings to switch and a decent-sized runaround.

I eliminated the yard lead as it was useless, the 'yard' is now just storage tracks for freights and passenger consists.

colors are the same as before, just with a benchwork now.

thoughts, suggestions?

-- Henry David Thoreau
It is amazing to see you planning industry, yard and passenger traffic on such small layout. I would go with much less but that is not a question of track planning but what you and me expect to use a layout for. You need much more operation with real (passenger and freight) trains than I do.
I think you track plan is fine in that light. You get a lot of action Thumbsup
Reinhard
Well, I do like to watch trains roll...Its relaxing.

But at the same time I like having something to do.

-- Henry David Thoreau
a third draft:

[Image: 1YRPGVA.png]

this stretches the mainline run a little bit and eliminated the storage yards for a mostly self-contained switchig layout with an inglenook sidings yard.

-- Henry David Thoreau
while I also have the two-door layout plan, I have this as a fallback if the other is looking too expensive

[Image: pCzhcZ2.png]

min radius 9.75"
Prototype: Original Norfolk Southern
fictionalized Central North Carolina
1955-1960

Grey: base elevation (1 inch foam)
White: tunnel (effective 1.75" ceiling under a 1/4 inch foam)
Green: 3%% grade from base to 2" (if stretched back to the tunnel entrace a 2% grade can be managed
Red: 2" elevatio (on 1/4" foam base)
Orange: industry trackage
Brown: yard
Dark Green: Interchange with Southern (base elevation)
Purple: Interchange with Seaboard Air Line (2" elevation)
Blue: river (-1" eevation..on base board

-- Henry David Thoreau
[Image: p8Scgnd.png]

-- Henry David Thoreau