Military modeling
Anyone have a military presence on their layout or just model it in HO?

I was thinking on getting some roco models and starting up another project.
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
I ended up finding a Roco M1 Abrams and three matchbox M2 Bradleys which are very scale close. Started spraying the base coat on all four, the M1 was green when it started.

[Image: 20141111_224427_zpsx8e4wryn.jpg]

[Image: 20141111_225041_zpspsm50clv.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail

I have that same M!. But mine came already painted in "NATO" camoflage. Shows you how long I had it.

When I was in the (N)ot-normal scale, I used the Micro-Machines Military Vehicle sets for loads. Like the Hot Wheels you mentioned, they were close to scale. Some were painted in white and some flouresent camoflage scheme, but with a little paint, they were passable. And looked pretty good as military flat car loads. I could look pass the missing and chunky details.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Guys check the Walthers catalog. There are tons of scale military models in both the only Normal scale as well as the extremely Horribly Over sized scale.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I really should do some war time equipment. I do try to keep the layout set in 1945 or so. It would be fitting. Maybe a hospital train or jeeps on flats.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Added a willys 38 jeep, might be a little to late for you Steve since it came out in 1949

[Image: 20141114_234430_zpsthnysdvx.jpg]

Found a Stryker in matchbox but it's too big, might be 1/64 but I haven't checked the scale of it
Tom

Model Conrail

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Guys check the Walthers catalog. There are tons of scale military models in both the only Normal scale as well as the extremely Horribly Over sized scale.

I'm a budget modeler, there's no way I could come close to walthers prices Goldth
Tom

Model Conrail

A jeep like that should be fine. I Don't think they changed that much over the first few years.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
tomustang Wrote:
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Guys check the Walthers catalog. There are tons of scale military models in both the only Normal scale as well as the extremely Horribly Over sized scale.

I'm a budget modeler, there's no way I could come close to walthers prices Goldth

I check the Walthers catalog to see if what's available then go on-line and buy it for less. Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
<<"tomustang"]Anyone have a military presence on their layout or just model it in HO? I was thinking on getting some roco models and starting up another project.>>

Hello Tom,

I have occasional military trains pass thru my layout. At one point ( a LONGGGGGG time ago) I also engaged in wargaming with miniatures.
Roco makes great military models, but way too expensive for my needs today.

For modern vehicles, I've been acquiring "good enough" Matchbox vehicles as you have done.
(also in case I find some local miniature wargamers... but that's another story)

Matchbox has made several modern military vehicles; you will probably have to scour the toy bins or go to EBay.
All of these can pass when seen from the 3 ft viewpoint. They are much cheaper than Roco.

Here are my evaluations for modern Matchbox vehicles (keeping away from the "vintage" collectibles.

--M1 is a bit too small but passable. (I think MB has made several different scale M1s, so maybe I'm wrong)

--Bradleys are (I think) 1/100 scale, but good enough. only noticeable if you put an HO figure, or Roco Bradley beside them.

--Marine Corps AAV7 Amtrac is too small (1/ 110 scale?) but okay by itself with nothing to compare against. Wd be better as a backdrop parking lot/ loading center piece.

--HEMTT (MB Real Working Rigs ) is roughly to scale, and since it's such an unusual truck, viewers wouldn't usually know whether it's to HO scale or not.

--M-ATV armored truck (my personal favorite) is very close to accurate HO scale. I measured against published dimensions. This vehicle is relatively new, only went into production around 2007 or so. Currently available on the toy racks.

--HUMVEE is too big for HO. I would substitute Roco models, at $10-15 each

--Buffalo Mine Clearing vehicle is roughly to scale. it's a big rig. Sold under the MB Real Working Rigs label.

--MRLS is a bit too small, but I include it as a possibility since it's scale is not easy to determine when placed in conjuction with other vehicles.

--There's also an 8 wheel Armor Car w Tank turret (can't think of the exact title). It's a bit too large (out of scale), in my opinion, especially alongside the M1

Just my thoughts.
Keep us updated with your pics!

Doug C
Salem OR
Added some details on the M1

[Image: 20141116_234539_zps8endvqwa.jpg~original]

I ran into another match box, it was a Internartional MXT, very close to 1:87, although it's not something US military uses, the UK does though so it's not something I can use on the layout.
Tom

Model Conrail

hillyard999 Wrote:<<"tomustang"]Anyone have a military presence on their layout or just model it in HO? I was thinking on getting some roco models and starting up another project.>>

Hello Tom,

I have occasional military trains pass thru my layout. At one point ( a LONGGGGGG time ago) I also engaged in wargaming with miniatures.
Roco makes great military models, but way too expensive for my needs today.

For modern vehicles, I've been acquiring "good enough" Matchbox vehicles as you have done.
(also in case I find some local miniature wargamers... but that's another story)

Matchbox has made several modern military vehicles; you will probably have to scour the toy bins or go to EBay.
All of these can pass when seen from the 3 ft viewpoint. They are much cheaper than Roco.

Here are my evaluations for modern Matchbox vehicles (keeping away from the "vintage" collectibles.

--M1 is a bit too small but passable. (I think MB has made several different scale M1s, so maybe I'm wrong)

--Bradleys are (I think) 1/100 scale, but good enough. only noticeable if you put an HO figure, or Roco Bradley beside them.

--Marine Corps AAV7 Amtrac is too small (1/ 110 scale?) but okay by itself with nothing to compare against. Wd be better as a backdrop parking lot/ loading center piece.

--HEMTT (MB Real Working Rigs ) is roughly to scale, and since it's such an unusual truck, viewers wouldn't usually know whether it's to HO scale or not.

--M-ATV armored truck (my personal favorite) is very close to accurate HO scale. I measured against published dimensions. This vehicle is relatively new, only went into production around 2007 or so. Currently available on the toy racks.

--HUMVEE is too big for HO. I would substitute Roco models, at $10-15 each

--Buffalo Mine Clearing vehicle is roughly to scale. it's a big rig. Sold under the MB Real Working Rigs label.

--MRLS is a bit too small, but I include it as a possibility since it's scale is not easy to determine when placed in conjuction with other vehicles.

--There's also an 8 wheel Armor Car w Tank turret (can't think of the exact title). It's a bit too large (out of scale), in my opinion, especially alongside the M1

Just my thoughts.
Keep us updated with your pics!

Doug C
Salem OR

Thanks for the thoughts Doug.

I am really trying to get closer in scale to 1:87 than anything else, so far the offerings from Roco/Herpa/Trident have some nice options. I have a smartphone app that helps me calculate scales without needing to guess anymore posted here -----> <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7964">viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7964</a><!-- l --> I'll look into the ones you listed.

I'll get the true scale sizes for the matchbox M2 and the Stryker, although the Stryker is way too big and won't be used I'll post it anyway.

e-paw Wrote:A jeep like that should be fine. I Don't think they changed that much over the first few years.

Looks like the biggest visual difference is the headlights, the willys MB (1941-45) has smaller ones where this willys M38 know also as the MC (1949-52) has bigger headlights.

This little jeep is a nice work in progress, I cut out the floor for more leg room, I have to make a frame for the window and at least put a machine gun and an antenna on the back
Tom

Model Conrail

tomustang Wrote:This little jeep is a nice work in progress, I cut out the floor for more leg room, I have to make a frame for the window and at least put a machine gun and an antenna on the back

If your going to use the Jeep as a flatcar load, they usually pull the radios and weapons(A Ma Duece, 50 cal., would be a tasty tidbit for a thief waiting along side the tracks), you might just want to fabricate the mounts for the radio antenna and weapon.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
They're going to be free moving vehicles Thumbsup
Tom

Model Conrail

Family is growing

[Image: 20141120_222150_zpsdpsgszci.jpg]
Tom

Model Conrail