Freelance Modeling.
You wrote: "No offense, but that doesn't look like a model train to me. Are you a fantasy scale railroader, or not?"

The Sagaponack Montauk and Cindys Harbor Railroad, and, the Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company narrow gauge railroads are both fantasy railroads.

you wrote: "Of course, none of you are ready for a fantasy scale modeler like myself..."

I was responding to the above statement. No it's not fantasy scale railroading, but it is fantasy scale modeling.

The written word, sometimes does not accurately convey the true intention of its meaning. My mind's eye sees words just a bit differently, sorry about the confusion.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Please do not post anything in yellow, which is almost impossible for many of us to see. Use bold, or red or some other brightly contrasting color, and when quoting use the name of the person you are quoting to denote authorship.

Your railroad is not, in fact, a "fantasy railroad" but a "freelance" - they are worlds apart.

The definition of fantasy lies in "who is making the rules"? You, or are you following established practice and merely creating a fictitious backstory and railroad to match? If the latter, that's freelancing.
MountainMan Wrote:Please do not post anything in yellow, which is almost impossible for many of us to see. Use bold, or red or some other brightly contrasting color, and when quoting use the name of the person you are quoting to denote authorship.

Your railroad is not, in fact, a "fantasy railroad" but a "freelance" - they are worlds apart.

The definition of fantasy lies in "who is making the rules"? You, or are you following established practice and merely creating a fictitious backstory and railroad to match? If the latter, that's freelancing.

Just reading though this thread kind of makes me wonder if we've not gone overboard on "what is" or "what could be". Pete showed us some fantasy things that he modeled, and he does a fine job with everything he models. fantasy modeling is fantasy modeling, regardless of whether it be train, planes or automobiles. His railroad could be fantasy or freelance, it's all in his head and can then be what he wants. We don't need to get in a war of semantics, this is, as you've pointed out before, a hobby. Hobbies are for fun and relaxation, and we need to get back to that concept sometimes.

As far as yellow on a white background, I agree, but I don't see any yellow. His emphasis is in red. If you're seeing yellow, I wonder if the style you're using isn't changing something. Let me know what you see below for color:

RED (color=#FF0000)
YELLOW (color=#FFFF00)
GREEN (color=#008000)

These are standard HTML color codes.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:As far as yellow on a white background, I agree, but I don't see any yellow. His emphasis is in red. If you're seeing yellow, I wonder if the style you're using isn't changing something. Let me know what you see below for color:

RED (color=#FF0000)
YELLOW (color=#FFFF00)
GREEN (color=#008000)

These are standard HTML color codes.

I'm using the standard forum format as it came with membership, without any changes at all. I can't think of any reason why the forum would display different colors in different formats in any event - the color codes should be standard throughout, right?

In fact, I have never even seen a way to change the forum format to begin with.

As for "fantasy", I'm not confused, having been a fantasy modeler for several years. I once used a stuffed rattlesnake which I had converted into a metal-clad all-terrain sci-fi ground transportation vehicle for barbarians as part of a diorama. That's "fantasy." It is a specific genre that has only rarely been applied to the hobby of model railroading; however, it is readily apparent that many modelers believe that the slightest deviation from strict prototypical modeling constitutes "fantasy" to them.

So be it. Whatever floats your boat, melts your butter or blows your skirt up. Far be it from me to try and introduce new concepts.
MountainMan Wrote:I'm using the standard forum format as it came with membership, without any changes at all. I can't think of any reason why the forum would display different colors in dfferent formats in any event - the color codes should be standard throughout, right?

The question I asked is what colors do you see in the examples. Is "red" red to you or is it yellow? Is the yellow line yellow or some other color to you? I'm trying to see if we have a problem here. Since we are using standard HTML color codes, it shouldn't matter which style you are using, but you might let me know which one you are. Our default is the white lettering on a blue background, but we have several others to accommodate those that have problems reading the white on blue.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:I'm using the standard forum format as it came with membership, without any changes at all. I can't think of any reason why the forum would display different colors in dfferent formats in any event - the color codes should be standard throughout, right?

The question I asked is what colors do you see in the examples. Is "red" red to you or is it yellow? Is the yellow line yellow or some other color to you? I'm trying to see if we have a problem here. Since we are using standard HTML color codes, it shouldn't matter which style you are using, but you might let me know which one you are. Our default is the white lettering on a blue background, but we have several others to accommodate those that have problems reading the white on blue.

This is red when I select it and this is yellow .
MountainMan Wrote:This is red when I select it and this is yellow .

OK, that's what I wanted to know. Yes, all the colors should appear the same no matter what style you're using, and yes, yellow is really bad to read with a white background. Green and blue are hard to read on the blue background, so it's difficult sometimes for someone to realize that there are more than just the white on blue style selections here on Big Blue.

BTW, I think all is now clear since I understand the original post indeed had yellow accented text, and was later changed to red so I can stop looking for a discrepancy in the color code. Thank you for your feedback....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
OK, OK . Enough about what color is what Icon_lol This is a thread about modeling, FREELANCE modeling that is. Here is my approach-----------
I tried to blend different elements of several New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania area railroads into my own. I took real locations and a plausible rout while planning my layout. The SH&D or Anna lines interchanges with real railroads at locations that were hosted by those railroads such as the CNJ at Easton and Allentown, the LNE at Stockertown, the Reading at Tamaqua, and the D&H at Catawissa to name a few. I try to create a believable atmosphere and a signature look that looks like it could have been. I do like to model prototype equipment as well as shown here.-----

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6727">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6727</a><!-- l -->

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3421">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3421</a><!-- l -->

And I use some of those ideas in my freelance modeling.
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5279">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5279</a><!-- l -->

And by the way even the name Susquehanna, Hudson, and Delaware (SH&D) fits right into the aria, describing the three major Rivers that the line serves and crosses.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I may model railway bits that include scenarios of what might have been or what should have been.
About 90 years ago, the railways in Britain were combined into 4 groups. 25 years later they became one group. The locos became as identifiable as PRR locos were. So freelance became more a form of "The LMS thought of building a line to ..." or "what if they hadn't been nationalized?" . Part of my fantasy is that railways were so good that road transport never took off.
My other fancy is that 3 of the big 4 (of the grouping) banded together to fight off the GWR.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Mountainman:
If you go into User Control Panel and then Board preferences, there is a choice for My Board Style. A lot of us use Blue because the original Gauge forum was blue.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
shortliner Wrote:Now that - I like!

Here's how I built it.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2561&p=41417#p41417">viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2561&p=41417#p41417</a><!-- l -->

If you go to the next page of that thread you can see the photo and the lessons I learned.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Thanks for that, Tom Cheers
I been freelancing since the 60s..The very first was my Detroit Connecting of 1966.

[Image: 004-19.jpg]

[Image: 007-15.jpg]

[Image: Picture003-7.jpg]
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Sagaponack Montauk & Cindys Harbor RR FTA-FTB-F7A

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Here are a couple examples of my freelanced locos:
My home layout, the Detroit Connecting -- this used to be a Southern:
[Image: 100_2445.jpg]
[Image: 100_2466.jpg]

A couple of switchers for the Lansing Model RR club's Hogsback and Southern:
[Image: trainpics035.jpg]

I painted a loco and caboose for the Lansing Model RR Club subsidiary road:
[Image: IMG_1295.jpg]

The Millett and Northern locomotive is done with dry transfers, including the striping. Note to self, use decals for striping next time..... <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=7972#">posting.php?mode=reply&f=3&t=7972#</a><!-- l -->

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.