Remember Pearl Harbor
Every year, fewer and fewer of us remember the important dates in American history.

Today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor which unleashed the horrific war that followed.
[Image: IMG_1034_zpsa8c9c2dd.jpg]

Pacific Theater side of the World War II memorial in DC.
It should be hard to forget that date. For most people on this planet, their only recollections are from reading about it in a history book. For some of us, we remember from experience. I heard the President's speech on the radio, but I was too young to realize it's significance. I hope in coming years, this event does not get relegated to a couple of paragraphs in the history books.

We were driving through Sun City Grand and Sun City West this morning and noticed that the main flags were all at half-staff to honor the fallen, and the main streets were lined with flags to honor those who served, many who are retirees living in those communities.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
My service began 10 October 1961, and ended 28 February 1983. My "war" was Vietnam, but I was one of the lucky ones that were never "in country". That said, I fully understand the risks all veterans took, serving their country, and thank them for "sharing the load" of defending Freedom against all enemies Foreign and Domestic.
Yeah, I am still proud to be a Navy Chief Petty Officer, Retired.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
My grandfather is a WWII vet. He is in his 90s, and I can't imagine he will be around much longer. In a few years, we will read about the last WWII vet passing away. And a few years after that, all those who remember the Pearl Harbor attacks will have passed away. I suspect then WWII anniversaries will start getting much less press. Sad, as people will slowly forget, but I'm sure there will be increased emphasis on other days in history. I've noticed that after peaking about 15 years ago, the number of WWII themed movies and television programs has slowly decreased. The good news is, I know a few men around my age (40) who like to build WWII military models or play WWII themed games. The men who fought 73 years ago will still live on.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:My grandfather is a WWII vet. He is in his 90s, and I can't imagine he will be around much longer. In a few years, we will read about the last WWII vet passing away. And a few years after that, all those who remember the Pearl Harbor attacks will have passed away. I suspect then WWII anniversaries will start getting much less press. Sad, as people will slowly forget, but I'm sure there will be increased emphasis on other days in history. I've noticed that after peaking about 15 years ago, the number of WWII themed movies and television programs has slowly decreased. The good news is, I know a few men around my age (40) who like to build WWII military models or play WWII themed games. The men who fought 73 years ago will still live on.

The fabric of their courage, is the foundation of our freedom.
Names may be forgotten, but their courage endures.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:The fabric of their courage, is the foundation of our freedom.
Names may be forgotten, but their courage endures.

Spot on.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->